Was The Internet The Clincher For You To Mentally Leave The Organization?

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I sincerely thank you Jehovah for creating Steve Jobs and the others that were allowed to go to college and create the internet.

Brilliant.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Check this out. I didn't post the whole article, so the link is there for those that wish to read the whole thing. For the sake of staying on topic, I pasted a couple paragraphs that I found interesting.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/23/8936147-for-some-churches-the-internet-clicks-for-others-it-doesnt

But with that freedom comes what some religious institutions see as a loss of control.

“For religious communities that might want to constrain or have gatekeepers to their message, the Internet allows many people to bypass that gatekeeper,” Campbell said. While you can get your message out to exponentially more people, “You can't always monitor the message.”

Gruenewald acknowledged the challenge of figuring out “how do people filter and give credibility” to a cascade of religious information online, but he said that with “like anything that's new, this is a challenge with the Internet and technology in general.”

“It's only problematic if a church expects to control the conversation that's taking place about the church” — something “we don’t spend a lot of energy on,” he said.

By engaging widely online, “you have some context in which you can influence the conversation,” he said, echoing Davidson's point that whether you're involved or not, that conversation is going to happen regardless on Twitter or on Facebook.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

At the risk of bragging I am proud to say I helped bring the Internet to the masses.

OMG! HQ, are you really Al Gore? (at about 0:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco&feature=related

DOC

• smiddy
    smiddy

While it wasn`t the internet initially, the reason I left in `93,it certainly has made sure I will never be duped again by a manipulating controlling cult.

Thank you my JWN freinds one and all

smiddy

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yep, it was the internet for me. Along with a few weird things that they so called 'friends' would say.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    At the risk of bragging I am proud to say I helped bring the Internet to the masses. I have been in telecom for over 20 years and have made internet
    connectivity a major goal of my rewarding career. Last year alone I helped facilitate over 300 new fiber broadband builds across the US and Canada.

If only the Borg could have sent a Terminator back in time, the WTS would have succeeded in it's quest to convert the world to JW.

Thanks John Connor.

Think About It

• Fernando
    Fernando

The internet helped me to take it to the next level.

The clincher however was their intense hatred for what their own publications reveal (amidst the clutter and noise) about the "unabridged gospel" or the full "good news".

Yup, hard to believe, but as a deluded loyalist, I came to faith in the "good news" without reading any other books - probably the same as Ray Franz, and with the same reaction from the Pharisees and Sanhedrin.

The Pharisees actually gave a recorded "local needs" talk with thinly veiled threats against speaking about the "good news" to others in the congregation. The congregation was asked to report any such activity to the Pharisees without delay - obviously so that the perpetrators could be hauled into a "star chamber" (kangaroo court) for sentencing to death (disfellowshipping) for daring to speak on the basis of Jesus' name.

Now I understand why it is near impossible to find a single "publisher of the good news" in the Watchtower that can explain the "good news" according to Paul. More than half the Bible's references to the "good news" are by Paul!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit