What is the most ironic statement you have seen in the Watchtower?

by Indian Larry 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

There are so many good ones, but this has got to be near the top of the list:

*** w56 2/1 p. 88 par. 45 Cautious as Serpents Among Wolves ***

In Jeremiah’s day the false prophets prophesied lies in Jehovah’s name and lied against his purpose, foretelling in his name what he had not foretold. Therefore Jehovah was against them. He executed judgment against them at Jerusalem’s destruction in 607 B.C. (Jer. 23:25; 27:15) Religious liars like them today cannot escape a like judgment but will meet a like end at Armageddon.

If that is not the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is, plus throwing in the lie about 607 right in the middle of this "denoucement" really is the icing on the cake.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I liked the one where they wrote an article which encouraged everybody in every other religion (than the witnesses themselves) to think critically about their religious beliefs.

Of course, that is a disfellowshipping offense for the JWs themselves.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

• "No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family." - Awake, July 2009, p. 29
  • aquagirl
    aquagirl

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family." - Awake, July 2009, p. 29,......Yep,this is one ofthe top 5.That and warnings about "false gods and words of men"...And how they mock hindus for the starving/free running cow thing,but dubs let their own die in hospitals w/the blood thing...gah...its all so putrid...

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I'm paraphrasing slightly, but the first quote that really made me scratch my head was from the Young People Ask Book in the chapter on either homosexuality or premarital sex: 'Some people claim that the Bible's standards are outdated, but why would you listen to such closed-minded thinking!"

• iclone
    iclone

Hands down. May 22 1969 AWAKE!

"If you are a young person. you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years."

I show this article to as many as I can without being labeled "metally diseased"

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

How about this one?

Watchtower 1894 July 15 p.227 "… Our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain."

HA HA HA HA! I thought the world was showing great peace and promise until 1914?

Hands down. May 22 1969 AWAKE!

"If you are a young person. you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years."

I agree!

Hey, this is fun!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

• AWAKE! of May 22, 1969: "If you are a young person. you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years."

A "few years" huh?!? Do the math: 2011 - 1969 = 42 years. Not a few! That is a fact!

So who really are the mentally diseased ones?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

In 1954, as the fortieth anniversary of that marked year approached, the historian H. R. Trevor-Roper said of the great change 1914 made: “It is instructive to compare the first World War with the second . . . the first war marked a far greater change in history. It closed a long era of general peace and began a new age of violence in which the second war is simply an episode. Since 1914 the world has had a new character: a character of international anarchy. . . . Thus the first World War marks a turning point in modern history.”

World leaders have also commented on the significance of the year 1914. Former chancellor of West Germany Konrad Adenauer spoke of the time “before 1914 when there was real peace, quiet and security on this earth—a time when we didn’t know fear.” Then he added: “Security and quiet have disappeared from the lives of men since 1914. And peace? Since 1914, the Germans have not known real peace nor has much of mankind.”

Compare to:

Watchtower 1894 July 15 p.227 "… Our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain."

Watchtower 1917 November 1 p.324 "1874"

They can prove anything can't they?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Oops. sorry, the first paragraphs are from Watchtower 2/1/1969 p. 71

and here is the full quote for Watchtower 1917 November 1 p.324: "He proved by Bible chronology the prescence of the Lord from 1874 on"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit