Mickey Mouse thinks religious belief is.............

by wobble 128 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wobble
    wobble

Mickey Mouse, our very own treasured poster, not the cartoon character, thinks that religious belief is both rational and intelligent.

Do you ?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

the term mickey mouse in new zealand is ratshit e.g. he did a mickey mouse job (crap job)

when i came to Australia, I was totally confused bcoz here it means a good job e.g. he did a mickey mouse job (good job)

& i still use the term mickey mouse job for something crap

ok ok that was slightly off topic but hey

• sizemik
    sizemik

Define "religious belief"

• designs
    designs

Nearly all ancient cultures developed a religious belief as a means to explain nature and the processes of life and death so it would seem 'natural' in a sense. As scientific methods developed to test nature and test assumptions belief in gods and demons and superstitions began to slowly fade.

• wobble
    wobble

As in any debate Size, we need to define terms we use. "Rational" and "Intelligent" I think are fairly well understood, though intelligence is a liittle difficult to define.

"Religious Belief" , I think was used by Mickey to mean any kind of belief in a God, not necessarily the following of a particular organised religion.

What Mickey said that sparked my interest originally was that she had no time for "Fundamentalist Atheists" , I asked what a Fundie Atheist was, she replied basically they were bigots who were obviously that way (bigotted) because they did not give belief the status of being rational and intelligent.

On that basis Size, are you a Fundamentalist Atheist (and therefore a bigot) ?

• wobble
    wobble

Sorry bashed the submit button twice, I made a Mickey Mouse job of my submission.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'm not religious myself but it does keep people united and at peace when they need it

• wobble
    wobble

I am , not anti anyone holding any belief in god, unless that belief harms others, the suicide bomber, the murderer of abortion practitioners etc.

But, say you have a benign belief in god, the divine, the spiritual world, whatever, can you claim that particular belief is rational and intelligent ?

Is someone, (me), who asks that question a bigot ?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Atheists are where thay are because they do not see any evidence of a creator. This is not a belief system, it is conclusion based on logic.

Of course at this point in time there are some things that can not be explained, but the atheist will not be satisfied with the lazy "supernatural" or "Miracle" to provide a quick answer.

Religious belief, if as you suggest means a belief in a deity or a number of deities, allows for miracles and the supernatural. It uses the concept of faith, to stifle rational thinking and sets boundaries on thought to reconcile the irreconcilable.

I do not believe in the "fundamentalist atheist", all atheists ever ask is "prove it?". If you make supernatural claims, then give us the evidence. If you can't find the evidence, or you can't be bothered to build a testable model of your ideas, stop promoting the ideas and definitely stop telling kids that these myths and fantasies are reality.

• wobble
    wobble

Exactly Cantleave you lovable fundie, I mean Atheist.

The label "Fundamentalist Atheist" , implying bigotry, has been levelled at Dawkins and Hitchens and others, but I do not think it is accurate in any way, all these guys do, as you say, is call into question the beliefs of the "religious", they show no animosity to the individual, nor do the usually say anything about the believers intelligence or rationality, it is the belief being touted as rational and intelligent that is the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit