They're getting soft...

by simon17 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WE LOVE having a locked gate

• Londo111
    Londo111

Having social anxiety, field service was so difficult for me. I dreaded Saturday morning...I would get depressed as the time arrived. It required everything I had to get up and out and face people who didn't want to talk to me. Sometimes at the door my voice broke out of nervousness and I was shaking and that just made things worse. My social anxiety just got worse and worse, especially when a householder was insulting. Their words were like a knife in my heart and would haunt me...sometimes for years.

And then I'd feel guilty for not being effective enough because of my social anxiety, and that somebody might lose their life because of it and I'd be bloodguilty. And all that time spent knocking on doors would be for nothing, because I'd be destroyed anyway.

My favorite time of the week was Saturday afternoon...after field service...because I wouldn't have to worry about going out again for 7 more days.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Its invariably true that there are alot of JWs who don't really like going out in service, but they do so to reflect a certain image

for themselves within their congregations. There's an element of pretentiousness strewn throughout most congregations as to who is more devout

and zealous to the cause. Some calls can be quite abrupt like this one particular call, where the caller is not really endeavored to get involved into a

long discussion, more like take these magazines so I can leave quickly to go to a coffee shop and and brag to others how many magazines I placed.

Going out in service to some JWS is more about relieving themselves of built up guilt propagated at the Kingdom Halls, coercively and exploitively

disguised by the WTS. as doing the lords works. Once an individual has accomplished this feat , then there is a release of that pressure and guilt for

a while, only to build itself up once again in the future.

• wobble
    wobble

They've been getting soft for decades, the ones who actually knew the teachings of the religion and could make a half decent job of defending them, or presenting them, were dying out 20 or more years ago.

Your modern Dub is usually one who has grown up in the religion, so has never really listened to what they are actually teaching, has never lifted a book and read anything, and has simply peddled magazines and run away. Those who have been suckered in since the eighties have just been given a superficial grounding in the propaganda, they have no depth of knowledge.

You expect a JW to go toe to toe with you on doctrine ?You need to bring back Freddie Franz, he would give you agood debate at least, totally nuts, but entertaining.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Going out in service to some JWS is more about relieving themselves of built up guilt propagated at the Kingdom Halls, coercively and exploitively

The relief experienced after field service or attending an assembly is often mistaken for "JOY" .

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

I think if my memory served me correctly, they are doing what is called "leave them with a question and return to answer it with them" thingy.

I spoke with my "in family" and they now are asking people a 'thought provoking question" and leaving them with it and it gives them more chance to return and ask if they thought about the answer.

Just another way of getting the foot in the door.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    I spoke with my "in family" and they now are asking people a 'thought provoking question" and leaving them with it and it gives them more chance to return and ask if they thought about the answer.

If the holy spirit was guiding them to the sheeplike, there wouldn't have to be such a need for strategy and trickery ...seems like it would just happen. Why do people have to be tricked into being interested in this religion?

• sizemik
    sizemik

A similar experience to my last one simon17 . . . a father and teenage son who were gone like a fart in the breeze.

I don't think I'm on any DNC list so I'm looking forward to the next attempt for my salvation. I'm going to offer their poor tired souls a seat on my outdoor furniture . . . and make them a nice hot cup of tea. The tea will require at least 10 min to cool down. Then I'm going to ask them to read Luke 21;8 and explain how I could ever obey that and join their religion at the same time. Then I'm going to calmly listen to what they have to say. Should be a good time for everybody.

• N.drew
    N.drew

21:8 is good. The witnesses seem to twist it meaning "many different ones" But the word for "many" Greek "polus" seems to imply one large group of many.

http://concordances.org/greek/4183.htm

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never was really in it. I would rather people not be at home, and if I did place the rags I would usually snake on that return visit. Usually I just let them go out of date, since I didn't really want to commit to studying the Washtowel publications for 6 months, not to mention being responsible if that person didn't make the boasting sessions, quit doing any of the many things the witlesses aren't supposed to, or having to lend money if such people run into fake hardship on the "hope" that it will make these people into baptized witlesses.

No, it wasn't the arguing that I had a problem with. I felt that, if my faith was on more secure ground than the world's, I should be able to win the argument with such a thing as common sense. Turns out that, not only the witless faith wasn't on solid ground, but the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wasn't in for allowing common sense. I would use the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger's suggestions, but only because I was too lazy to use my own for such wimpy results, and because I knew it wouldn't get me a commitment to getting this person to become a witless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit