WWI and Beer

by Farkel 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

In April, 1917 the United States declared war on Germany. The German U-Boats had sunk a bunch of American ships and the war declaration was justified, even though Woodrow Wilson was basically, a total asshole.

Anti-German frenzy hit the American shores. Sauerkraut was renamed "freedom cabbage" and dachshunds were stoned to death. That was shameful conduct against loyal Germans who became loyal Americans. (Think "freedom fries." Same insanity. Different time in history.)

But what is even more shameful is the fact that the prohibition morons used that situation to vilify the German brewers, particularly Pabst, Schlitz and Miller. They blamed those American Germans (who were just really Americans who just happened to have German ancestry) for all sorts of problems in the USA.

Their reasoning must have looked like this: Kaiser Wilhem sunk some of our boats and ships. Kaiser Wilhem is a German. The guys who own Pabst, Schlitz and Miller in the USA are Germans. Ergo, they must be evil, too, and the beer they sell must be REALLY evil.

This is idiotic, but this led up to the Prohibition Amendment, which was the greatest experiment in behavioral engineering in the history of our Republic, and created so much crime and unintended consequences that it would fill several books to even touch the surface of it. It was a politician's moronic attempt to control people and a dismal failure and caused more problems than it solved.

Nationally Mandated (pay or else) Health Care is exactly the same thing, with just a new idiot at the helm promoting his social tinkering and who is clueless about the unintended consequences of it. And like during Prohibition where the leaders who lived off of the money they stole from the people always had their supply of liquor, our current leaders will always have their supply of Health Care which is also paid for by the money they stole from the people, while we suffer trying to pay for it to keep from getting fined (more stolen money) if we don't.

Side note: the Federal Income Tax was ratified in 1913 and was justified to support our effort in WWI. WWI ended nearly 100 years ago, but the Federal Income tax endures and costs billions of dollars in time and lost wages and accountants and tax-preparers, who must exist just to to be bookkeepers for the Federal (and State) governments create those costs, let alone the hit it takes on one's earnings. The Federal Withholding Tax(tm) was passed during WWII because Franklin Dickhead Roosevelt needed the money NOW to help support the funding for that huge war. Fine. I have no problem with that logic. I agree with and understand why he did it. Our survival as a Republic depended upon having the money to wage a winning war. But that was supposed to be a temporary law. But that war ended 66 years ago, and yet that law is still on the books. Once these repressive and intrusive laws are passed, and no matter what the lying politicians said, they almost NEVER go away. "Temporary Law" means "it will always be on the books, suckers!"

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

hurumph! In only 20 minutes this thread topic is 3 pages back.

I KNEW I'm no longer relevant on this board as I was in days of yore.

That's ok with me. It's not my loss. I've already made my contributions in here and they will remain for as long as this site exists.

Farkel

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Stop being a drama queen. Btw I enjoy reading your posts and find many of your points quite relevant.

Bangalore

• Pig
    Pig

i was only recently reading about some of the things that were done to innocent germans under Churchill.

Churchill was an evil evil man in my opinion and I dont belive many of the allied forces were much more morally superior to the Nazis.

• Farkel
    Farkel

pig,

: i was only recently reading about some of the things that were done to innocent germans under Churchill.

:Churchill was an evil evil man in my opinion and I dont belive many of the allied forces were much more morally superior to the Nazis.

Your comments are so far off-topic they belong in another universe. You have the wrong war, the wrong person and the wrong subject. Go away.

bangalore,

You are confusing drama queen with facts. I only stated the latter. As I said, I don't care.

Farkel

• JeffT
    JeffT

Farkel, here's another example: the telephone tax was passed in 1898 as a tax on rich people (afterall they were the only ones with telephones) to pay for the Spanish-American War. Of course, its still on the books and we all pay it every month.

The original version of the income tax amendment included a line limiting the tax to 3% of income. That was taken out because people were afraid that it would be considered license to actually take that much money.

• Farkel
    Farkel

jeffT,

As I recall (but I'm only using my limited memory) the first income tax only applied to people making more than $20,000 a year . In today's dollars that would amount to VERY rich people. Once established, that income tax could be "downgraded' by Congress to apply to people making an average or less-than-average amount of money. Which, of course, has already happened.

Unintended consequences. Or evil Government. Take your pick. Either way, the Government wins and those governed by it lose.

The fox is not only guarding the henhouse, the fox has devoured all the hens and is looking for new meals in new places. Keep your hands on your wallets and your eyes over your shoulders. They are looking for new and bigger ways to fleece us.

Farkel, Paranoid CLASS

• wobble
    wobble

Income Tax was introduced here, in the UK, as a tempory measure to pay for the war against the French, of course our sensible and mature and forward looking politicians removed it as soon as the gunsmoke had cleared from Waterloo.

Like fcuk they did, two hundred years later we are paying ever more income tax, a special tax on petrol plus a tax on that tax (V.A.T), which is some of the most heavily taxed petrol in the world, we pay VAT on everything we buy except food and a couple of exceptions, we pay National Insurance, which again is a tax on a tax, as it is calculated on your gross income, and when you die, having been taxed many times on what miserable little bit of money you have got, we pay Inheritance Tax.

It works out that for every pound we earn we give back £2 to the Treasury.

No wonder I have never got enough beer money.

• hotspur
    hotspur

Farkel ... you having a bad day or summat?

I was drawn by the subject heading "WW1 and Beer" ... plus I enjoy your posts. Reading through this I'm facing submarines, Americans, Germans, Taxes, Prohibition, Health Care, Republican politics (I think) .... not much about Beer or World War 1

That wouldn't be so bad but then you lambaste pig for daring to mention Churchill as being irrelevant to the topic! I'm not being sidetracked by that either as I believe Churchill has as much to answer for as he is to be praised. (Hmm - maybe I was sidetracked)

• JeffT
    JeffT

Farkel

In inflation adjusted dollars a 1% rate applied to people making less than $450,000, the top rate of 7% didn't kick in until $11,000,000

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/151.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit