I just "witnessed" officially for the first time!!!

by NoRegrets 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I mean door to door (sort of), not informally to non-witness friends and family!

So for a few weeks, I have suspected that my neighbor across the hall was being studied with by witnesses. I wasn't sure but saw a couple of older women leaving with what looked like bibles, but never saw Watchtower literature. I don't really know my neighbor but still had considered striking up a conversation with her but wasn't 100% sure if she was being courted by the witnesses. UNTIL TODAY.....

I was taking out garbage and heard a loud conversation about what I thought was god. I stood and listened for a minute but couldn't hear anything certain enough to be sure it was witnesses. I took out the garbage and then came back in to grab my wallet to run an errand. I ended up walking out with the older ladies who were carrying bibles and, yep, a Bible Teach book! I finally got my confirmation! I ended up walking all the way out to the parking lot with the witness ladies and agonized over saying something to them directly. I decided not as that would just make them run screaming if I said the wrong apostate trigger words and I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of feeling persecuted.

So I left and ran my errands and came home. I knocked on the neighbor's door and introduced myself and asked her if she was studying with JW's. She said she was and I told her I just wanted to let her know that I was raised a witness and that they had basically destroyed my family. She has studied with them for a long time and knows a lot of their beliefs. She has gone to meetings and said that she hasn't been able to quit smoking, otherwise she could become a publisher. Still, she felt like something has always held her back.

She REALLY wanted to hear what I had to say and was very open-minded. I tried to not be very heavy-handed but told her my wife and I were being shunned without even being DFed or DAed, that as soon as we simply disagreed with the beliefs we were born into without choice we were immediately treated like we had the plague! I told her that the biggest reason we stopped being witnesses was the many changes in the beliefs over the years. I told her it's hard to believe that a few old guys in Brooklyn are the only people in the world that god talks to!?! And then when he does talk to them he gets it wrong!? I told her how people could resign without official punishment until 1980 when they changed the doctrine to silence some high-ranking dissenters and that they actually had a member of the governing body walk away in disagreement! Of course she knew none of this but believed me and we both wondered if some other forces in the universe brought me to her door!?!?

We talked for about 20 minutes but could have gone on for hours and she said she would knock on my door because she wants to hear so much more from my point of view! More updates to come!!!!!!!

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

awesome! you could be saving her some major grief, or even her life. I suggest finding out from her what she likes about the studies and the witnesses so you can have a more targeted approach to her. She obviously either likes them (or finds the doctrines appealing), or has trouble saying no to them.

• freshstart
    freshstart

That is so fantastic!!!!!!!!

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

It felt really good to blow the lid off some of their dirty little secrets! I'm already making notes on more things that I want to mention when we talk again!

• nugget
    nugget

It is so much easier to set the record straight since the words come from the heart and we know them to be true. Unlike to official door to door that never felt right and came across as a nuisance call.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Cool and congratulations!!!

Hey, please do me a favor, though...

Next time, please title the thread, "I just "UN-witnessed" officially for the first time..."

I came in here, loaded for bear, certain that we had another uber-JW who'd stumbled onto our site and hadn't quite figured out yet that there were a lot of - uhm, "awakened" witnesses on here...

I was afraid we were going to have another "Fred7777"...

Zid

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I thought the quotes were enough Zid! I'll remember for next time! BTW Where's your devil?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Congratulations NoRegrets!! I hope and pray you are successful in saving your neighbor's life from slaving for the WTBTS. Now, if there was someway to help her stop smoking?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

NoRegrets

• extractor
    extractor

Wow. Good job and me too just 3 hours ago!

I teach H.S. and after school I see a JW kid talking with another kid in my class. They're leaning over looking at something so, I snoop. You guessed it, WT literature. I recognized the 1950s style crappy artwork immediately. After they were done the JW left the room first & as the other student was walking out I said, "Susie, can I talk to you for a minute?" Even though this was their first encounter she had already been told by the JW, "Everything that's written about us on the internet is a lie." I carefully informed her of the real truth.

Not on my watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit