What is the WT's current stance on the age of the earth?

by popcorn_eater 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

The reason I ask is I remember reading quite recently, in I think an "Awake" mag about creation, that other churches confuse people by insisting on young earth creationism, which causes people to lose their faith. The magazine was going off on groups and churches who insist on teaching science that conflicts with the Bible (....). I thought the WT was a proponent of this young earth creationism as well. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe there has been new light? I really need to know so I know how to approach teaching science to a certain JW young person I'm involved with, but I don't think I can stomach reading any more of their literature just now. THought I'd just ask the forum. What is the current teaching about the age of the earth and the length of time humans have been here?

Thanks in advance!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They play both sides. Some of the heavies still believe the 7 days of 7,000 years each, meaning the earth is approximately 49,000 years old (they mention it in talks now and then). Others take the more rational view that the Watchtower magazine has stated that the creative days are of unknown length and could be (the appropriately vague) eons of time.

Never have they said what science knows: that the universe is around 14 billion years old and that our solar system is under 4 billion.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

MS's answer is dead-on. They play both sides.

They do want newer, younger members to believe they are allowing for the earth to be millions of years old without directly saying it, so that older members can still think they are not contradicting their 7,000-year creative "day" periods.

When pushed to say something, they say "several thousand years." That could mean lots of things, even thousands of thousands.

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

Interesting! and by interesting, i mean "puke." But what about the length of time that human beings have been on earth. Is there a number on that? Hey thanks for your responses.

• undercover
    undercover

I concur with my fellow esteemed apostates...

There have been recent WT publications that state the earth is eons old. Yet, I heard an elder point blank say in a talk less than a year ago (though a funeral talk it was) that the earth was about 49,000 years old.

Their newer methodology is to say that the Bible is an agreement with science and that the earth can be billions of years old. It's when they get to the other creative days when they start to sidestep the issue with generic comments that don't really explain anything. But their "earth can be billions of years old" doesn't jive with the scripture in Exodus (can't remember chapter/verse right off) that states that in 6 days God made the heavens and the earth.

They've never recanted or officially changed their doctrine of 7,000 creative years, but they don't advertise it either. They pretty much go on as if they never really taught that.

It's one of the tangible things that you can show the WTS being in error... it's in print, they advertised it, pushed it hard even, as 1975 was tied to the 7,000 year long creative days. Adam's creation of just over 6,000 years ago (which they still hold to) is tied to the original concept of 7,000 year creation days.

• sir82
    sir82
    what about the length of time that human beings have been on earth. Is there a number on that?

They have never abandoned the beleif that Adam was created in 4026 BC. Their official doctrine is that man has walked the earth for exactly 6036 years.

They don't mention it much any more, since, as has been noted, they try to appear "reasonable" to outsiders.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Even when the Russel-based teaching of 49000 years...it was taught that the earth was much older than 4000 years, but that the six 7000-year days started about 48000 years ago (as of 1874--which later was readjusted became 1975). I think sometime during the 80's they basically decided to quietly shelve the idea by not mentioning it...that is a common strategy for some "old light".

I remember this was a point of contention between my father and I growing up. I was going through Earth Science and everything they said made perfect sense to me. But my father was adamant about the 49000 years which I found utterly ridiculous. When I explained about the layers, my mother spoke up said that the Flood "mixed all the layers up." Everything I said fell on deaf ears. Of course, my father was also against playing chess because of an old Awake article, but he at least let me play it on my computer.

If there is a God and if Genesis Chapter One is inspired, even partly, I see no conflict between it and Evolution. Of course, it's Chapter 2 onward that seem too much to swallow. The other night I sat down and watched a special on human evolution on Netflix...for so many years I was too scared to view things like that. Now I find it fascinating. There is never a need to hide from knowledge!

• Londo111
    Londo111

I mean to say "older than 49000" years...not 4000 years! D'oh!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Society is concordist in that they show a preference for the understanding that the earth is billions of years old, and show disdain for the YEC view that the earth was created 6,000 years ago. They have come very close to endorsing the scientific findings at times:

*** g73 5/22 p. 6 The Moon—What Was Discovered? ***

Have you wondered about the moon’s age? Rocks taken from the early Apollo missions were estimated at from 3.3 to 3.7 billion years in age. However, one lemon-size rock was estimated to have an age of 4.6 billion years. The moon’s soil was estimated at being from 4.2 to 4.9 billion years in age. Thus Science World of February 16, 1970, commented: “Several researchers confirmed that the moon is about 4.6 billion years old. The Earth and meteorites are about the same age.” So it is now generally agreed that the moon’s age is the same as that of the entire solar system, including the earth. This is a noteworthy confirmation of the Bible account at Genesis 2:4, which indicates that the earth and the heavens were formed in the same general period of time.

*** g81 11/22 p. 13 How Old Are the Fossils? ***

Nevertheless, with proper attention to such possible pitfalls, acceptably reliable dates have been put on many old rock formations. Based on this method, the age of the oldest parts of the earth’s crust has been set at over four billion years.

*** g83 3/22 p. 13 Evolution, Creation, or Creationism—Which Do You Believe? ***

If geologists want to say that the earth is 4 billion years old, or astronomers want to make the universe 20 billion years old, the Bible student has no quarrel with them.

*** it-1 p. 667 Earth ***

Just how long ago the starry heavens and the earth were created is not stated in the Bible. Therefore, there is no basis for Bible scholars to take issue with scientific calculations of the age of the planet. Scientists estimate the age of some rocks as being three and a half billion years, and the earth itself as being about four to four and a half billion or more years.

*** yp2 chap. 36 p. 301 How Can I Defend My Belief in God? ***

The Bible says that the earth and the rest of the universe were in existence before the first creative day. Thus, the earth and the solar system may well be billions of years old.—Genesis 1:1.

*** lc p. 24 Science and the Genesis Account ***

Geologists estimate that the earth is 4 billion years old, and astronomers calculate that the universe may be as much as 15 billion years old. Do these findings—or their potential future refinements—contradict Genesis 1:1? No. The Bible does not specify the actual age of “the heavens and the earth.” Science is not at odds with the Biblical text.

*** w00 12/1 pp. 30-31 Must You Believe It? ***

And is it not true that today, for example, creationists insist that the Bible teaches that the earth was created in six 24-hour days, when all the facts show that the earth itself is billions of years old? Actually, the Bible does not say that the earth is the center of the universe. That was a teaching of church leaders who themselves did not adhere to God’s Word. The Genesis account of creation allows for the earth to be billions of years old and does not limit each creative day to 24 hours.

When I was growing up, I had trouble reconciling an age of the earth in the billions of years with the Watchtower belief (found in the Paradise Regained book, and elsewhere) that the formation of the atmosphere, oceans and land masses — and of course the proliferation of life — began no earlier than 48,000 years ago. It was hard to swallow that all this history occurred in only .0001% of the duration of the planet's existence and essentially nothing happened for all those billions of years. That didn't really make sense to me.

• simon17
    simon17

They basically will not contradict that it will be 4 billion years old.

But mostly they say ridiculous things like the earth could very well be "thousands of years" old. Thats like saying the sun may very well be many feet away from the earth or something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit