What is the WT's current stance on the age of the earth?

by popcorn_eater 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

I suggested to some dubs recently that this comment would allow for life to be millions of years old...how long is "considerable time?". The answers ranged from "Of course it could" to "Do we not still believe in 7k year days?"

LOL... Dubs don't even know what they believe when it come to creation....because the WTS doesn't spell it out for them anymore. People with a little knowledge, and the oldsters, are gonna remember the 7K year nonsense. Newer dubs are going to think whatever they last saw on the Discovery Channel because the WTS told them that the Bible and science are compatible.

And that's the dangerous part. Because the newer, younger dubs aren't going to know about the idiocy of the 7K years, or 6,000 years since Adam and the year 1975 being tied to Adam's creation.

It's all ancient history, sealed up in the old WT scrolls that are ignored by today's dubs. Only historians, er, I mean, apostates, open these old scrolls up for review.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

A thought regarding the 7000 year length of a creative Day...

Wasn't the 7000 year idea tied in with the 1975 predictions? 1975 was supposed to be the end of 6000 years of human existence, and if we add the 1000 yr reign of Christ to that, we get 7000 yrs, a number that is supposedly Scripturally perfect and made sense for the length of the 7th Day, the day of rest.

The Society figured that if the Day of rest was 7000 yrs, then all the creative Days were also 7000 yrs.

The 7000 yr idea was an assumption based on Armageddon happening in 1975.

When Armageddon didn't happen in 1975, the idea of the 7000 yr creative Day also failed. Eventually the organization had no choice but to (quietly) give up on the concept of the 7000 yr creative Day.

Am I missing something here? Was there ever any other evidence that the creative periods were 7000 yrs?

• undercover
    undercover

ScenicViewer: Yea. That's pretty much the 1975 thing in a nutshell. Actually recanting the 7K year thing and quietly dropping it is two different things however.

They've quietly dropped it, never to be repeated, but the old timers still remember it...and even preach it from meetings. I heard it earlier this year.

It's kinda funny to hear someone actually say in plain English (or whatever language you speak) that all creation on the earth is only 49,000 years old.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

"They've quietly dropped it [7000 yr Day], never to be repeated, but the old timers still remember it..."

I too have heard Witnesses mention the 7000 year Day since 1975, even in a talk once, but it was probably 20 yrs ago. I fugured he was not up to date, or never understood the logic behind the 7000 yr day to begin with, which is a problem with many Witnesses...they don't understand the reason for many of their beliefs and it doesn't register with them when something gets dropped.

I blame the Society for that too, since they don't clarify when a change in belief happens. I guess they do this on purpose, to not alert the Witnesses that there was a wrong belief.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, I love that "Heavenly luminaries become discernable from earth"...

The scriptures say CREATED - on the 4th day, yet!! And that INCLUDED the moon AND stars, as well as the sun...

Instead of attempting to stretch the biblical scriptures to kinda-sorta "fit" modern scientific discoveries, go at it from the Bronze-Age Middle-Eastern MALE mentality that wrote it...

Since THEY were on Earth, that meant that Earth was created FIRST; since THEY believed that the earth - and by extension, THEM - were the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE...

Zid

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Bigmac: it's not a matter of "God can do anything". Because if that was the case, he COULD'VE freed the Israelites in an instant but he didn't. He chose to do it PROGRESSIVELY. He has his reasons as to why some things take longer than others.

Also, he could've created angels at the same time he created humans and animal and plant life. But he didn't. He did all this in a progressive manner for whatever reason that is ONLY KNOWN to Him.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Bigmac: it's not a matter of "God can do anything". Because if that was the case, he COULD'VE freed the Israelites in an instant but he didn't. He chose to do it PROGRESSIVELY. He has his reasons as to why some things take longer than others.
    Also, he could've created angels at the same time he created humans and animal and plant life. But he didn't. He did all this in a progressive manner for whatever reason that is ONLY KNOWN to Him.

And here again we have the "God dilemna" - why does religion teach that God did things in a plainly unscientific or impossible manner? Answer: "Dont worry about it, that is because he is GOD." Another way of saying we can make up anything we want about the creation of earth, and it is perfectly OK, because that is just the way God did it. Irregardless of the crushing weight of scientific evidence.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@james_woods:

Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

so why would God do something in a scientic manner?

i have been trying to say this for a long time but people are just not listening, You cant compare the bible and science, The first is the work of God(and some through man) and the latter the work of man. Without man there would be no science. Science only serves as how far man has come in aquiring knowledge about himself and the things surrounding him.

Lets consider the account of God parting the red sea to create a path of dry land, how does science explain this? again Jesus was said to have walked on water and all. These are just a few of the things we cant comprehend/explain as men even with our scientific knowledge.

A more fascinating account would be that of Ezekiel 37 : where God literally creates living men out of nothing but dry bones to serve as a framework in a matter of minutes/hours . Now from this perspective tell me if it sounds absurd for God to create man in less that a day.

I really feel sorry for the JWs because they dont even seem to believe/ have enough knowledge about the God they claim to serve/worship. Why else would they try to comlement the bible with science?.

• Malachi Elijah
    Malachi Elijah

(pasted from email sent to Associated Bible Students Ohio concerning there 49,000 years)

If i were Samuel and king Saul does not hear the word of God then i would go to 
    David instead who will replace Saul. So too if those who reject what i know of 
    49,000 years then it will be given to someone who accepts the word of God and is 
    ready to be the replacement of the current kingdom of God. 

Carbon-14 turns back into nitrogen as it reaches 70,000 years. This is why the 
    recent find of collagen on actual dinosaur bone and not mineral fossil has the 
    importance of it dating as 32,000-22,000 years ago. This is day 3 and 4 when 
    land was above water. However, due to a water canopy that collapsed its final 
    time (other times before Adam) during Noah the drop in longevity due to C-14 in all organic DNA proves that 
    longevity indicates an increase of C-14 as 10-12 times which produces a false 
    stretch of postFlood cities as 3000 years up to 20,000 years. (A 10,000 year 
    error would only be 50 years after the Flood.) This shatters those who think Day 
    1 was 1000, and Day 2 was 1000, and Day 3 was 1000, and verifies truth would 
    favor 7000 per day. 

Would Moses have reason to make days of 7000 years. Not in days themselves, but 
    if he took 49,000 years (less 7000 for Day 7 as 6000 years to the final 1000 that 
    any CHRIST from the first one Abel, 2nd one Enoch, 3rd one Noah, 4th one Shem, 
    5th one Abram etc thru Moses, all thru the 6000 years any kingdom of God 
    attempted to by its year 1000, The 1000 years of Moses did not do this. Nor 1000 
    of anyone before him. The last 1000 is thus presumed as year 6000 to begin the 
    last chance.) 
    It is this that would imply Moses laid out 42,000 years before Adam. Now Moses 
    will be proven wrong two ways by true knowledge. First it will become known that 
    the sidereal year of Earth's orbit thru the 12 zodiac of stars is longer than 
    the constant sothic Julian calendar. This will prove that seasonal axis 
    precession of the axis is 25,600 years not 49,000. The other error is that this 
    axis and precession only exists between two human global disasters (asteroid 
    impact baptizing the continents in Noah's Flood and astral impact to put the 
    water back up 52 miles). BUT this does not change the fact that he accurately 
    laid out those 42,000 years though now proven not to be the axis precession 
    Moses thought existed, and wouldn't return in theory until 1252AD for 3000 
    years. The source for sothic year is 720 years after Flood as 180 leap days, and 
    the source of seasonal year is 744 years to Amizaduga's death as 180 solar leap 
    days apart from 186 sothic leap days making a 12-day difference in 1508 years 
    during the 12 leap days of 48 years beyond 1460 years. If you accept this, then 
    you are inline to be the David replacing Saul, the Joseph replacing Judah 
    (though returned to Judah via Judah's repentance to get the family to Joseph). 

• Malachi Elijah
    Malachi Elijah

(pasted to Associated Bible Students of Ohio concerning Patriarch age starting at Flood tho many claim started with Adam or waited until Abram, and they end it with Jewish age, Jacob Israel's 12 sons, though some go until Moses and the Constitution of Israel the Nation 46 years before Declaration of borders.)

The patriarcal age began with Serug's birth and has never ended beacuse it is 
    the allowing of a father to sell his children enslaved to grandpa. IN this case 
    Serug's generation was sold to Peleg the founder of Ur by means of their father 
    Reu being announced as ruler. Patriarchal father is city-father. Though Nimrod 
    was tagged by many cities as their city-father appointing positions as leaders 
    for any skill, the actual cermony and declarations of appointments and 
    anointings was done at Ur by Peleg in attempt to claim these were appointed by 
    God. Thus political city-fathers was created by the Shemites against Shem's 
    wishes, and using Shelah (Shiloh) as the excuse claiming that his blessing Reu 
    was an official appointment with the power of God. Thus corruption began with 
    Peleg not Nimrod, and Nimrod gets all the blame. Nimrod gave into letting 
    himself be anointed after Noah's death when he created the 42-city assembly of 
    kings called Pharaoh ruled by the elders (youths appointed as kings) of 
    dynasties 5 thru 8. What Memphis feared is rule by one king if he be Hamite. 
    That king was 11th dynasty, and that is why when Terah fled Ur as he was dying, 
    he pushed his son onward to go to Egypt because 12th dynasty began with a 
    Pharaoh who was Shemetic. Thus the beast that dies at Armageddon is the 
    patriarchal rule never intended to exist and thats why God sent the father of 
    Adam to come down as a son to return power to the father, Jesus the son of Adam 
    became Jesus the father of Adam as he always had been, so as to return all 
    things to his father, our father in 1000 years. Now if it isn't offensive to you 
    the chronology of that 2207bc king is locked to a 2370bc Flood and 4025bc Adam. 
    Reu the son of Phalleg is a ruler or leader known as a Sar/Shar/Czar and it is 
    his son Serug was was named Mesh-Kiang or Mess-King or Mes-Kiag as in the word 
    Mess-Yah meaning the anointer for Yah, or of Yah or by Yah. Serug Mes-King 
    became king in 2127bc and this is why the birth of Terah is mistakenly 2127bc 
    instead of the correct 2148bc. Reu was made ruler when Peleg became grandpa 
    (patriarch) of Serug, and so history presumes that Serug became Kiang when he 
    became grandpa (Patriarch) to Terah. This is why some chronologies place a 
    39-year Mars (Marduk from Serug to Terah) while others say Haran was born to 
    Terah when he was 39. (Thrice 13-year Mars of 6 orbits of 780-day.) 

Jehovah has answers that a WatchTower doesnt have, because answers were always created by priests in the temple, not the watchtower connected to it, on the outside of the city wall)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit