Eurozone crisis- the jw's are crowing about it like mad!

by highdose 66 Replies latest jw friends

• sonny.alfaro
    sonny.alfaro

Cofty - I do not see "contradictions", but rather i see "differences" in the accounts. Differences does not mean untrustworthiness because there are plausible explanations. I have seen this happen a lot of times with reporters. For example, i might read in one newspaper that Jane Smith was convicted of fraud. I may also read in another publication that J. Doe was convicted of fraud. Are two two accounts different? Absolutely! Same event, two different names. Are the two accounts contradictory? Apparently! But eventually a third newspaper reported that Jane Smith aka J. Doe was convicted of fraud. There you go, problem solved!

Let us not lose the forest from the trees.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

sonny.alfaro, Regarding the various problems people have found with the Bible, have you considered the following?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

• sonny.alfaro
    sonny.alfaro

Hello InterestedOne!

That is a classic example of losing site of the forest from the trees.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

sonny.alfaro, Since you mentioned prophecy in your earlier comments, I glanced over the prophecy section of that website, and I see a lot of trees.

• sonny.alfaro
    sonny.alfaro

So either side, there are trees among the forests. We just have to focus on the forest.

• donuthole
    donuthole

According to the Bible Babylon was to be destroyed by the Medes and Persions that didn't care for gold or silver. The JW concept that Christendom will be destroyed for their money doesn't square.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Sonny.Alfaro, and welcome to the board....

You commented,

"What if the scarlet colored wild beast suddenly start devouring the harlot?..."

In your post #2...

Does the Watchtower Society still claim that the "scarlet-colored wild beast" is the United Nations?

If so, you might be interested in knowing that the Watchtower Society/Corporation has been a "Non-Governmental Organization" MEMBER of the United Nations, since the early 1990's...

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses_and_the_United_Nations

And here's another independent source on the Watchtower Society's membership in the United Nations after decades of denouncing it as being the fulfillment of the "scarlet-colored wild beast" of Revelation...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness1.htm

I looked at that website's "mission" statement. Here is a partial quote of that mission statement. You might want to read it and see if their ideals and goals coincide with yours...

OCRT Statement of Belief:

We are a multi-faith group. As of mid-2011, we consist of one Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Wiccan and Zen Buddhist. Thus, the OCRT staff lack agreement on almost all theological matters, such as belief in a supreme being, the nature of God, interpretation of the Bible and other holy texts, whether life after death exists, what form the afterlife may take, etc.
    We do believe:
    In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human. Unfortunately, we have not reached a consensus on when human life, in the form of an ovum and spermatozoon, becomes a human person with civil rights including the right to live. On this matter, our lack of agreement on when personhood begins mirrors that of society at large.

In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, physical disability, language, age, body shape, etc.

In the value of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty.

In the importance of democracy within religious, political, and other structures.

In the separation of religion and the state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 1

That freedom of speech is one of our most important rights. This includes the freedom to compare the beliefs of faith groups with each other, with the findings of science, and withinformation from other sources. It also includes the freedom to criticize faith and other groups when they harm others.

That the systems of truth that we have studied on the topics of morals, ethics, and religious belief are often considered absolute within various religions and secular belief systems. However, they are obviously relative because they vary greatly from one culture, religion, and time to another. 2

In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3

In the importance of individual believers detecting evil influences and policies that currently exist within their chosen faith group, and strongly advocating for their correction. If change is impossible, we feel that they should consider withholding financial support or leaving the group. 4

In the importance of education. We believe that people are not truly educated unless they have studied the world's major religions and ethical systems. They need to learn of both the good and evil impacts that each has had on society throughout history. They need to be taught skills at analysis and "baloney detection." 5

Just thought you might be interested in that little detail that the Watchtower Society doesn't mention to its regular members...

Zid - the board's She-Devil

• ziddina
    ziddina
    I learned from history that events can suddenly shift unexpectedly, without prior warning catching everyone off-guard (see what happend to the Arab Spring).
    I learned from current events that we are in a tumultous era in our history where insecurity, fear and anger is growing day by day on a 'global' scale.
    Scientists are saying we have reached the point of no return due to climate change, and will experienced unprecedented climate related disasters the world has never experienced.
    Economists and experts are saying we are heading into a major global financial meltdown, such as the world has never experienced before.

Aaaand as long as we're fear-mongering here, the Yellowstone super-volcano might erupt any day now... And a distinct possibilty that the Icelandic volcanoes could generate large, climate-changing eruptions, too...

Oddly enough, even though such eruptions have clearly occurred in the past, they are NOT connected to any major extinction event...

Might put a badly-needed dent in the human population, however...

But a world-destroying catastrophe? Hell, the Israelites had no clue about super-volcanoes, asteroids, mega-plagues, and some of the other natural phenomena that could seriously end a major portion of life on earth...

I mean, financial distress? Warfare?? SERIOUSLY???

Speaking of warfare, did you know that America loses over 60,000 people PER YEAR to medical errors? That's over TWICE the number of American soldiers killed during the ENTIRE Vietnam war, EVERY YEAR...

And you're scared of "Armageddon"...

It's the thing that you DON'T expect, that'll often "getcha"!!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Every cicilization has its day...Ours has had it's.

The balance of power in the world will shift again, our western 'democracies' and economy's must colapse, history demands it. Another will rise, and one day it too will sink. Its the way it just is. None of them has meant 'armageddon'.

And at the end of every single one of them, some nut job group has declared the 'end' is nigh.

oz

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty - I do not see "contradictions", but rather i see "differences" in the accounts.

I'm afraid you need to start reading the bible more objectively. Perhaps reading Bart Erhman would help you to learn facts aout the bible that everybody knows about apart from JWs and evangelical xtians

Here is a video of one of his talks you may enjoy by way of introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFs-llHmxNc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit