Is anyone else getting ready for Christmas?

by juni 36 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

For those who are having a natural tree ,,, this is a GREAT IDEA to keep it fresh ,and save money on an expensive stand.

Take a 5 gallon bucket (most restaurants will have some to give away)

After you cut your tree (cut the bottom, just like cut flowers), have one person hold it in the bucket.

Pour sand around the tree, ensuring it is straight as you pour. When your bucket is filled, and the tree is perfectly aligned, then add water to the sand...

The heavy sand is much more stable than most tree stands, and just keep the sand nice and damp.

When Xmas is over, you can use the sand in your driveway (if you have ice) ,,, or if you are in a warmer climate, just dispose of it in an appropriate place.

tal

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Pap wrote:"We've started shopping for our anual ornament. We get a new one each year and decorate the tree in order of years we've been celebrating. Then we add on the generic ones. This will be our sixth family ornament"

I love traditions.

Snoozy

• juni
    juni

I like the different ideas for decorations and the tree stand. That's what is fun w/the holiday. Families make their own memories by celebrating in unique ways. And our homes glow with creativity!

I want to say also that I have been on both sides with the holidays. It can be a very happy time, but also it can be a very sad, lonely time.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Juni

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do recommend a fake tree if you are going to start early or if you are going to practice. The good news is that they are getting pretty close to real-quality. Christmas Lights Etc sells Christmas trees that look almost like the real thing, even when looking at them fairly closely. Far better than even 20 years ago, when fake Christmas trees were more blatantly fake. The bad news is that they are very expensive, with the best trees costing more than 1,000 toilet papers.

Which could be more than you can afford right now. That being the case, you might start with an undersized tree, or get a cheaper one until you can afford a better one. And yes, it might look wimpy--but you can add to it as you can afford things. More important is that you are attempting to celebrate the holiday, and your skills will improve with time.

If you use a cut tree, there are strict rules you must follow to ensure a safe tree. First, never let it dry out. Making a fresh cut about 1 centimeter above the old one when you get it home, just before you are ready to put it in the stand, will help with water uptake. After that, never let it dry out. It will take lots of water the first day or so. Also, keep it cold (near freezing is ideal) until you are ready to display it. Keep it away from direct sources of heat, including fireplaces and hot air registers. If you keep the tree well watered, it will be much harder to start a fire with it. A dry tree is one spark or misplaced candle away from an inferno.

Lights? The new LEDs are as close to fire proof as they come. The resistors can get pretty warm--roughly 60 o C when used continuously. The LEDs themselves stay ice cold, meaning you can use them where heat is a worry. Bonus: They use much less electricity, you can string more together without blowing a fuse, and they tend to last longer. Just stay away from Everstar Merchandise lights--use them, and you are asking for half-strings to go out relatively quickly and to have to redo them on December 24. I would say Bah! Humbug! to light strings that have an 80% chance of at least half of them going out in the first month.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Yes, we are going to live Vicariously through my son and his wife who are not witnesses, going to do the full 9 yards. Tree, lights, decorations, egg nogg spiked with Kentucky bourbon, singing Christmas Carols, reigndeer antlers on the car, cookies and milk left out for santa,,,,

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well Jomavrick from Nabraska wish I could see your new founded joy of Christmas..... but quite sure they know Santa wont eat those cookies

• Bella15
    Bella15

Awesome! I still have my Christmas tree and decorations packed up. I live in the USA, so I am enjoying getting ready for Thanksgiving now, but the very next day I plan to DECK THE HALLS !!!

For members with children of any age, (or the child within), I recommend you listen to Gloria Estefan's songs "Christmas through your eyes" - I sing this song all year long - it has brought a lot of healing to me ...

Till I had you I didn't know
    That I was missing out
    Had to grow up and see the world
    Through different shades of doubt
    Give me one more chance to dream again
    One more chance to feel again
    Through your young heart
    If only for one day let me try

I wanna see Christmas through your eyes
    I want everything to be the way it used to be
    Back to being a child again thinking the world was mine
    I wanna see Christmas, Christmas through your eyes

I see the rain, you see the rainbow hiding in the clouds
    Never afraid to let your love show
    Won't you show me how
    Wanna learn how to believe again
    Find the innocence in me again
    Through your young heart
    Help me find a way, help me try

Back to being a child again thinking the world was kind

Back to being a child again thinking the world was kind

• only me
    only me

We're starting to get ready. I bought a blue snowman for our front door... not too Christmasy, I try to keep it low key outside for my JW husband. Inside is different, we have a tree up in my daughter's room already and plans for a small white tree in the living room with all blue lights and blue and silver ornaments. It's going to be beautiful.

A musician friend of mine who is on the road a lot told me to get glass vases a nd fill them with ornaments and the tiny battery lights. Just beautiful,lights up the whole room if you can't have a tree. She does this when she can't get home, doesn't take a lot of money or room.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Our kids run out every day to grab the newspaper and mail. Any Christmas ad, they grab it, circle it, and stuff it in an envelope to Santa! So, yes, they are ready.

We do a natural tree. One year, we got some little bugs in our tree. It wasn't a big disaster, just sprayed the tree with soapy water. The bugs didn't have a good Christmas.

Skeeter

• carla
    carla

A bit early for me to get the tree out but it will certainly be up and the house will be decorated to the nines! I always try to do something outside so the neighbors don't think a bunch of heathens (or jw's) live here! (just kidding about the heathen remark)

Too bad I don't have a husband to help me huh? I used to have one that would do the roof with lights then he joined a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit