Is anyone else getting ready for Christmas?

by juni 36 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

My Christmas stuff has been sitting up all summer long--I simply got a paint brush (a new one) and dusted off the bulbs that were showing dust, and they still look as fine as new. And I have taken virtually all the Devil worship Day Halloween stuff down and put Christmas stuff in the hall outside of my apartment complex. Due to the fact that I want to make it difficult for hounders to connect me to apostasy to waste their time (that could be used for other matters), I am not posting pictures of my decorated hall because it would limit such waste of their time.

While I do think of that second tree as rather wimpy, it is a good first time. The one at the top is fine, if a bit skimpy on the lights. Again, this is good if it's your first tree or if you are limited by still-in relatives or spouses. Even that small tree (the second one) is better than the ones I have seen at my work place, where they place dark colors (plain dark brown pine cones) on dark colors (dark green). And, I can be assured that they will continue to improve with time--first efforts always seem to turn out skimpy when it comes to decorating a Christmas tree.

Which is why I always advise first-timers to start as early as possible in the season. Even doing a dry run in the middle of July or even May is not too soon, since you will have plenty of time to fix problems. Many people will start out with 1 or 2 boxes of lights, a topper, one run of tinsel garland that is around 4 or 5 meters long, and 2 dozen ornaments and think that's enough. Then, when it goes up, things just don't look right. This is actually very common--the important thing is at least you are trying. I recommend viewing videos done by various people decorating a Christmas tree, and looking at pictures of upscale trees. I noticed that they have relatively few big ornaments that look ridiculously big (say, 5-8 depending on the size of the tree) placed on diagonal lines, a moderate number of medium sized ornaments, and large numbers of smaller ones (say, 5 cm or less). Most successful trees have 2-4 color groups (not including the tree itself), but you should vary yours according to personal preferences. And lighting--use excessive numbers of undersized lights (even running them in along the lengths of the branches) to get that magical appearance. You might prefer fewer, bigger bulbs. Colored is best for children; clear, for formal situations.

And, if it's your first time out, don't be too discouraged if it is wimpy. For some, just getting the courage to do anything is a start, and putting a tree with a single dozen ornaments is all they can get up the nerve to do. Others are going to underestimate what they need for that magical look. Still others can't afford much because of the recessionDEPRESSION. (Or being bled by the Washtowel Slaveholdery.) Others cannot do much because they live with still-in relatives or because Brother Hounder is watching them. And still others do a poor job simply because it's their first time. If that's you, be assured that your little piddling attempt will improve as you get more experience--or, as you can afford more ornaments. Just keep at it, and eventually you will get better.

• N.drew
    N.drew

They had me swayed about Christmas. Not for it's pagan origins but for the stress it puts on Earth. So when I heard that someone left and now they celebrate Christmas, I was shocked. I believe Christmas as an institution must be outlawed. But I like your trees. And I like Christmas. When I was IN I would accompany them to my mom's. I have a story. One Christmas, when my mom's hands were getting more useless by arthritis, she was having difficulty opening her gift. I helped her. It was good. I missed buying the children presents because my husband is clueless, but very cute because of it. So this is my first Christmas that I bought him something and I will help him buy for the kids. It might be fun, I'm not expecting it to be. Oh, and the tree, pitiful! So very pitiful. I like it to look pretty. It never has.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I got my very first ornament the other night! The tree is to follow. I'm basically going kind of "gaudy" lol. I can't WAIT!!! I put BF's big gift on layaway already, and will be getting the smaller ones over the course of the next month (black friday, here I come!). He keeps making fun of me because I'm all goo-goo eyed about Christmas and decorating and I wanna do it NOW! LOL.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My husband starting putting Christmas lights up on the house this weekend !!! His first time ever ,so proud of him . I am off work the rest of the month so plan on putting the tree up next week and decorating . Looking forward to it ...I love the glitter and lights

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

We've started shopping for our anual ornament. We get a new one each year and decorate the tree in order of years we've been celebrating. Then we add on the generic ones. This will be our sixth family ornament.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'd really like Christmas to be cool. I really do. But Christmas in my house was not a happy time. When I became a JW it just got worse. I hate that holiday, can't wait for it to go away. Unfortunately, every year it starts earlier. I saw Christmas decorations before Oct 31st this year.

• isojourn
    isojourn

Why, yes my boyfriend and I bought our first tree. Normally (being the last 3 years )we would celebrate x-mas at his parents house. But his mother passed away this summer. So we are making our own festivities. This is the first time I've EVER decorated my house for x-mas. I don't feel bad, actually. So maybe I have made some progress...

...by the way your tree looks nice Juni :)

• talesin
    talesin

Nice trees! (not a big tinsel fan myself).

I just brought up the decorations from the basement a couple of days ago. I'm going to decorate on Sunday,,, having a friend over for eats and treats!

No tree, but I have lights and lots of other stuff.

tal

• LadyLainey
    LadyLainey

I have had a tree for the past few years, we do a small gift exchange, but more consider it family time than Xmas. I havent gotten my tree out yet! Everyones trees look so nice!!

It took me forever to figure out how to hang stuff, as I had never done it before.... lol

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Juni - I love the bow you did at the top of your tree, it looks great! What a neat idea.

Lilbluekitty - I love the star ornaments you have on your tree. Very nice!

We're getting our first tree this year, I'm so excited. I still need to get all the lights and ornaments, but hope to go shopping soon. I planned on making an Advent calender of activities for my little fellas too. So exciting! I loooooooooove Christmas.

I was three the last time I celebrated Xmas, and my oldest is three and it will be his first real Xmas. Full circle moment!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit