Why do we have to 'prove' anything to God. (This point made at assembly today)

by PaintedToeNail 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

I passed the Exam and don't have to go back anymore.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Black Sheep-Funny, I never felt I had a good heart when I was doing all the things one is supposed to do to 'prove' oneself to Jah.

Avocado-The predestination thing has always been troubling. If Jehovah knows what the outcome of a matter is from the beginning, what is the point of trying. It has left my eyes wobbling too.

CJ

• bioflex
    bioflex

There is nothing likie predestination, even in the bible. You only end up where you want to be. I am talking about death and ressurection to be precise.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The point was made at the assembly today, that we have to 'prove' our love for Jehovah to him.

Yes and by buying and selling his products that he produces at his publishing house in New York (WTS),

he promises not to whack those ones who promote and distribute his literature.

In ancient times you had to continually offer a burnt sacrifice to appease him, now he just wants everyone to proliferate his literature.

Oh yes and not to forget he wants everyone subservient and obedient to the men that he's chosen to write and publish his works.

This is very important to remember cause the great kill off is going to happen soon, so says his guys in Brooklyn.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I've never understood the whole 'prove your love for Jehovah' thing. Its never made sense. I thought I was crazy for not accepting the jelousy of the almighty Jehovah.

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

I've been making a point of "studying" the Study WT articles for the past year or so. I swear to god (haha), every single study article has some kind of emphasis on how you have to do X to remain desirable to Jehovah or to please Jehovah or for him to consider you worthy. Disgusting! Usually X = avoiding worldly people or situations, studying and attending meetings, following the rules, all the usual... I noticed the bible verses they tend to reference for this, which are generally either from the old testament or Acts, actually do use language about remaining in God's favor. The Bible is sort of along these lines, at least in my opinion. HOWEVER there are parts of the Bible that say the opposite and promise salvation for anyone who sincerely believes and seeks it (the grace thing). WT articles ignore the other verses that discuss being saved by grace, etc.

I attempted to bring this point up to my JW kid; it was a quote from Ephesians 2 I believe, about being saved by grace and not by our acts, which would give us cause for boasting. The article was in the July 2011 study issue and although it referenced this verse, there was NO discussion about it and then the next paragraph went right back to emphasizing how in order to please God you have to follow the rules of the WT organization. Hello???? Who proofreads these things? Unfortunately I actually attended this meeting and no one brought it up. I pointed out the conflict to her and asked her opinion about the verse and how we are saved, and she just waffled back and forth and couldn't articulate back to me the conflict or how it didn't make sense.

I personally don't think the Bible is a very good book to model one's life on, although everyone has a right to his or her own opinion on that matter. But it certainly DOES contain the idea that you must earn God's love, in certain places. It contradicts itself, just like the WT. The issue with the WT is that they only point out these parts and identify THEMSELVES, erroneously, as God's organization on earth, so that to follow THEIR rules means to please God. And if you don't, YOU DIE.

The fact is, the congregation and your JW family have conditional love for you, and so does Jehovah. Yuck.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hello popcorn_eater. Welcome to the forum. If you wander around the threads you will find a little popcorn eater happyface. I alway smile when I see it. I think it's poster poopsiecake's friend! Spelling is not my forte. We have no spell check here, and I have found that google helps a lot. But you spell very well!

• Bella15
    Bella15

We have NOTHING to prove to God in the sick, slaving way the Watchtower wants you to believe ...

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners , Christ died for us."

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

thetrueone-The huge number of animal sacrifices in the OT is staggering to say the least. The scriptures that talk about having to pour out the blood, or sprinkle the blood, always made me wonder if there was a horrid odor of decay at the slaughtering site, and what about the number of flies that would be attracted to gore.

Joliette-You, my dear, are no more crazy than I am at wondering the same exact thing!

popcorn-You are right, so many of the articles do seem to be on the remain desirable vane.

CJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit