Is it God, the Bible or just the Dubs?

by Slidin Fast 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Anony-

You're just an apostate out to try and subvert our precious faith, off with you, out satan out!

• wobble
    wobble

I agree with that dreadful apostate Anony Mouse, I think if you wish to appreciate the Bible books as literature even, and they are in reality no more than that, you need to know about the time that they were written in, the genre, the methods used by the writers.

Just one example, when giving an oracle/prophecy a writer may mention 70 years,(or some other number), this is a literary device, not to be taken literally and retro-fitted by us, or worse still the WT, into history.

I see no evidence that will stand forensic and scientific scrutiny for a God or Gods or Godesses or spirits or demons or angels, or "Holy Writ".

There is wisdom in the various writings of the many religions, for example, I like the Eightfold Noble Path of Buddhism, I like the Golden Rule as found in so many faiths, but these have come from men who were great thinkers, not from outside our world.

• Terry
    Terry

The bible is useless and but a book of myths and grand tales.

Well, I'm pretty certain you'll get some noisy naysaying on that one!

Western civilization has gone to enormous lengths to make sure the Bible is connected to darn near everything in some way.

Enough "important" people will testify with their right hand raised and left hand on the Bible to make it seem like there is ample evidence.

It doesn't matter how intelligent people are or how well schooled in facts; the Bible has been pounded into the emotional core of Western consciousness for so long it has deeper roots than any garden variety weed.

Pull at your own risk!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

As the beliefs we hold that bring us comfort, will die with us, we may as well embrace and enjoy them.

To get the best of both worlds, just keep a logical and focused view of the corporal world, while enjoying entertaining the possibility of a boundless and eternal universe that may have plans for us.

And our other choice is?

• bioflex
    bioflex

I think some people are missing the point here, theres only one choice to make, either you beive in God, Jesus Christ and the bible or you dont believe in God at all. There is nothing like believing in Jesus and not the bible.

The bible talks about God hating people who are neither cold not hot, i know most people find it hard to believe a majority of things the bible talks about but thats the only way to being a christian . The bible stresses on things like HOPE and FAITH, and it references the lives of people like Abraham,Noah and so forth who had not seen but yet believed. I bet at must have been hard for them. Imagine Abraham had to sacrifice his only begotten son in his test of faith, Noah had to go through the trouble of builiding an ark so great in size, and many other folks in the bible.

There was a time i was on the fence, i doubted some part of the bible and beleived what seemed plausible to me, but all this changed after i decided i had to choose a side. I now believe the bible word for word, and the HOPE and FAITH i have in God keeps me going. U cant imagine what is there to discover if you seek God earnestly.

Hope this helps.

• designs
    designs

bio-

You're tongue in cheek right?

• bioflex
    bioflex

@designs: cant say i get what you mean

• designs
    designs

" I now believe the Bible word for word"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

We certainly chuck out the Bible. Without a doubt.

While I have my answer about God, I can say that all "He" has to do is contact us to tell us what "He" wants. And until that happens, don't worry about it.

• moshe
    moshe

State sanctioned religions provide humans with moral reasons to obey our laws-ie, don't kill your rich neighbor, steal his money and take his wife. Being a poor slave wage worker for rich CEO's is just part of God's plan- your reward comes in the next life, chump.

If we didn't have religion to safeguard the rich, they would have to spend a lot of their wealth on higher fences and private security police to protect them. So, it just makes good business sense to keep people afraid to say anything against churches and their unprovable dogmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit