Is it God, the Bible or just the Dubs?

by Slidin Fast 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

In considering whether to reject God, the Bible or just the dubs I have been thinking as follows.

1. There cannot be any dispute that even a cursory study of geology reveals the extreme age of life on Earth.Coal is not the product of recent plant growth.

Oil is not the product of recent marine life.

Limestone, a product of marine life, has massive age on its back.

2. The bible sets human life at about 4000 BC.

3. Jesus added his weight to the Adam, creation story

My conclusion.

Man has been around for a lot longer than 6000 years. The bible is absolutely untrustworthy as a literal text.

It all falls apart as inspired because Jesus ratifies the creation account.

The whole simple framework of original sin and the ransom collapses unless the creation story is true.

Lots of people here have varying degrees of faith in God and the bible but where is it reasonable to draw the line?

We are (mostly) united in our contempt for the WT interpretation of things but do we chuck out any faith in the Bible or God as a result?

• designs
    designs

Damascus Syria- 10,000 BC. Kinda shoots down the whole Genesis Ch.1 thing.

• bohm
    bohm

I dont think its a matter of chucking out the bible or the christian God, the default position must be to consider all holy books and gods initially equally likely, that is, not accept one particular as the default position, and then finding the one which has convincing evidence speaking for it.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I think of the bible as my friend not my teacher. Jaheshua* who I say is blessed of Jah is my teacher. Have you ever heard of a vain person wanting to be the brightest, best and most beautiful among his or her group? You never ever have to worry about the Bible out shining you. So, my conclusion is the Bible is a good choice for a friend as you are always going to look better then her (I call Bible her, you can call it it or him, or you can throw it away). One thing the Watchtower taught that is true is the Bible in one tough cookie! Well, they don't call it a cookie.

*that's the bible name of who you call Jesus, or some call god. Whatever.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Nice one designs and N.D.

I am kinda serious with this. I fully recognise how stoopid unquestioning faith is but I have spent enough time and effort in reading

the bible to value it (in parts) as a very wise counsellor. I think the creation account is ludicrous but aspects of biology astound me.

The complexity of molecular metabolics and the engineering ata molecular and chemical level leave you scratching your head.

The older I get, the less I understand.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Non-understanding helps drive a person forward. The bible is not to be understood literally or even logically. I have adopted a cute moniker for it, that I did not make up, but one or two, I think two, posters on JWN made up. Quirky wibble.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Slidin Fast: Have you rejected Islam and Hinduism? If so, by what process did you eliminate them as valid faiths? More than one billion people belong to these religions. (Food for thought.)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

YOu don't have to take the Bible literally to believe in its underlying truths. Some of the stories are so ridiculous that I don't believe the original audience believed them. I acknowledge that it is the holy book for my culture. If I were born in Asia, I could be Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim before Christian. So my belief is an accident of birth.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

1. There cannot be any dispute that even a cursory study of geology reveals the extreme age of life on Earth.Coal is not the product of recent plant growth.

Oil is not the product of recent marine life.

Limestone, a product of marine life, has massive age on its back.

2. The bible sets human life at about 4000 BC.

3. Jesus added his weight to the Adam, creation story

There is not a single thing that you wrote here that disproves man is only 6,000 years old. Re-read your post. You're claiming man is older than 6,000 years because "geology reveals the extreme age of life on Earth." Old-age creationisits fully acknowledge the age of the earth, that it is billions of years old. Perhaps you are thinking of 6-literal-day creationisits, but they don't represent all Christian beliefs, or the JWs who happen to have that part right. If that's what you meant, you should clarify it. http://144000.110mb.com/144000/i-7.html#VIII

• extractor
    extractor

The WT really likes to get mired in the mind-numbing details of dates and numbers. I like things simple...

Option 1: Every single thing you see and hear is a total accident.

Option 2: There is a creator.

Agreed Jon Dough. I don't think it's possible to tell from the Bible what the age of humanity is. 4 thousand? 4 million? Who cares. The questions I care about are, Who is Jesus? and Why did he come? The answers to those questions could have an actual impact on my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit