Snowless Australia wins winter Gold!!!

by Flip 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JanH
    JanH

hi swede,

so what evidence do you have that norwegian skiiers used drugs? The finns were caught. we were clean.

Invasion? LOL. You had your chance in 1905, but had the sense to chicken out.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Flip
    Flip
    Sorry Flip you've led sucha sheltered life and aren't aware of the geography of the Great Southern Land. You do know where it is, don't you?

Of course I do Ozzie!

Australia is just off the west coast of California, or possibly the eastern coast of North America, or something like that.

But thanks to Steve's Gold medal I'll take the time this year to check one of those flat things with squiqqly, coloured lines to finally find exactly where a billabong slurping jumbuck is located.

Anyway, regardless of how many snowflakes fall once every decade on a 'hill' found on a remote island in the Tasman Sea, faithful Aussies will never know winter like Canucks know winter (unless one has lived their entire life in Victoria BC).

Surely the reason why Canada has one of the lowest populations to land mass isn’t because Australian beer is better that every one shies away from living in the Great White North!

Flip :)

• Flip
    Flip
    But we are vey pleast whid beating bigg canada in Ishockey, 5-2, how abaout that, canaidiens.

Happyman, what on earth are you talking about, Canada beat Sweden 11-0 in Ice hockey.

I suggest you re-check your facts. :)

Flip

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LB,

Here's today's news report(perhaps it'll answer your question):

===================================================================

07:49 AEDST Mon 18 Feb 2002

Bradbury wins Australia's first winter gold

The fickle gods of short-track speedskating smiled on Steven Bradbury as he starred in Australia's very own Miracle on Ice.

Bradbury won Australia's first-ever Winter Olympics gold medal with a victory in the 1,000m that beggared belief.

He was in last place in the final with 15 metres to go when the other four skaters all went down in a spectacular crash.

The Australian avoided the chaos and skated across the line in a time of 1 minute 29.109 seconds and with a look on his face he later described as "I can't believe this".

Pre-event favourite Apolo Anton Ohno of the United States picked himself up off the ice to take the silver medal and Mathieu Turcotte of Canada slithered across the finish line to claim the bronze.

Bradbury had won his semifinal in almost identical fashion and only advanced out of the quarterfinals earlier in the night when four-time World Cup overall champion Marc Gagnon of Canada was disqualified for impeding, which elevated the Australian to second place.

"I just went into the semifinal planning to sit on the back and look for accidents or collisions or something so I could sneak up the inside if any accidents happened and they all went down again," he said.

"Same deal in the final.

"Obviously I'm not the fastest skater but they were my tactics and they worked like a charm.

"Someone's looking out for me today and I'm glad that they did."

Bradbury, 28, was a member of the short-track relay team which won Australia's first-ever Winter Olympics medal - a bronze in 1994.

He is the sole survivor from the 1994 team and only decided to stay in the sport for a fourth Olympics because he was unsatisfied with how he had performed in the individual races at the previous three.

"Obviously I have the gold medal around my neck but whether I deserve to be in the same place as people who have won gold medals without the luck I had is something I'll have to come to terms with," he said.

"I take it as reward for effort in past Olympics where I think I should have been on the medal dais in individual races and I wasn't."

Bradbury's previous best individual result at an Olympics was eighth in the 500m in Lillehammer eight years ago.

He was also a member of the relay team that won the world championship in 1991.

Ohno was flagged as the pin-up boy of the 2002 Games when he featured on the front page of Sports Illustrated last week.

He received six stitches for a cut in his leg during the last lap pile-up, but was gracious in defeat.

Li Jiajun of China was blamed for the crash and disqualified.

South Korean skaters have won this event the only other three times it has been on the Olympic program.

After the race, Bradbury confronted a heckler in the crowd who said he didn't deserve to win, but was sure it was not a sentiment shared by the other skaters.

©AAP 2002
    ==================================================================

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit