• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

We get alot of these 'Mud Wasps'

But they only have small nests

They really love the bricks & timber

http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Mud-Dauber-Wasp/Sceliphron/sp.html

• isojourn
    isojourn

Wow. These pictures are amazing! I suppose I never thought of that concept...harvesting bees (venom) for pharmaceutical companies. I would have just imagined them cultivating everything in monitored labs. But, looks like you've got it down.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Still thinking -

That's nothing to play with, that's for sure! That's why we get so many calls, is because there are too many sad stories associated with these bugs.

You mention 1 ½ meters. I've seen a few pictures of them that big. Usually they grow big in areas that are closer to the tropics (like Florida) where the winters are very mild. What happens is that the queen doesn't die off in the Fall and will keep going all winter and the next year too. Those things can get to be of monstrous size and have 100,000 or more workers in them.

You mention DSIR. I understand those folks are in New Zealand, Australia, India, and other places down under. I've spoken to friends in Darwin and Sydney and they speak as though they don't have varmits like these yellowjackets in those areas, so I'm quite curious where that big one was!

Yes, they do like to be near water. They suck it up, then take it back to the nest, regurgitate it, then fan their wings on it to keep the nest cool. Too much heat will kill the nest and everything in it.

And yes, they are primarily carnivorous, although a few species have a sweet tooth that won't quit. However, they don't store food in their nests like honeybees do. As a general rule of thumb (there are exceptions) yellowjackets live in the ground, and hornets make the big round nests in the trees, eaves, etc. Contrary to Winnie the Pooh, there is no honey in those nests!

Finallysomepride -

Henderson? Would that be the one in Nevada just south of Las Vegas? Heat and a lack of water would be the prime difficulties for them in that area, but if they found a spot that was sheltered enough, it's entirely possible. There are Africanized (Killer) Honeybees in that area though, and I wonder if that was what they were. Both could make a nest that big.

'Tis kind of funny about the "German Wasps". There's a type of German yellow jackets that has invaded the U.S., and has been spotted here in Oregon for some years now. Then our Western yellow jackets have invaded Hawaii and are messing over some on the native insects there. Seems like these things are happening everywhere.

We have some mud daubers here too, although ours are a different species. Take yours and stretch her out about half again as long (like taffy), make her solid shiny black, and you'll be close to ours. Also, they make tubes too, but ours stick them all together in one solid lump with all the entrances pointing in the same direction.

Sizemik - It is indeed great - and handy. If some emergency comes up, there's always someone there to fall back on. Plus, you can just imagine the tales we can tell!

Isojourn - There's a good reason why they haven't cultivated these things in labs, although plenty of guys have tried to figure out a way to do it. The queens never use the same nest twice, and when they come out of hibernation, they look for a new place. How do you convince a queen to nest where you want them to? I learned how to transplant them, but that's more work than it would be to simply leave them in the wild and harvest them there.

Tom

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Henderson? Would that be the one in Nevada just south of Las Vegas? Heat and a lack of water would be the prime difficulties for them in that area, but if they found a spot that was sheltered enough, it's entirely possible. There are Africanized (Killer) Honeybees in that area though, and I wonder if that was what they were. Both could make a nest that big.

No, sorry, New Zealand. I should have said LOL

• still thinking
    still thinking

Lonewolf...it was acrross the road from where I live in Titirangi, Auckland.

We moved in here about 19 years ago and it was a year or so after that when a developer bought the property and started to clear it.

We have a tidal creek and are in a bit of a flood zone so they did a bit of land reclamation on there and filled it a bit higher. I'm not sure exactly where on the property it was but it's not a massive section...about 1 acre.

Since they removed that nest we have had very few around...thank goodness.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Cool.

I'll never forget the time way back when I was treeplanting in Alberta and was on a good block going at a good pace and I put my shovel down right into a nest of hornets (I assume, wasps nest off the ground no?) The immediate buzzing harmony of angry nastiness rising from the ground was unmistakable and unforgetable. I ran like the wind, and they followed me a good ways. Felt a bit sorry for the buggers though, destroying their home and all. Finished early that day...lol

Every creature has a niche. Insects seem so alien but really are fascinating critters.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Finallysomepride -- LOL! Didn't know about THAT Henderson! Dang! Gotta do more travelin'!

Still thinking -- Fascinating! Wonder why you have such a nice selection in New Zealand when there are so few in Australia?? The gal in Darwin didn't know what yellowjackets and hornets are, and I had to explain them to her! I could spend a life-time just studying these things.

Twitch -- Be thankful. Those were yellowjackets. It's hornets that are above the ground. "Wasp" is a word much like "Dog". "Dog" covers everything from a Pekinese to a Great Dane. As a rule of thumb, ANYTHING that has a stinger and builds a paper nest is a "Wasp".

I know that is seems silly to fret about the name, but even though they look almost identical, the differences between them are huge, and it revolves around their conduct. You can mess with hornets all day long and they won't try to crawl inside your clothes. That's the FIRST thing yellowjackets do!

Hornets will sting and be gone so fast that a fellow hardly has a chance to swat them. Yellowjackets take their time. If they can't crawl inside, they'll latch onto the outside, bend themselves double, and drill for oil (that's you), I've seen them try in one spot for 5 minutes or more.

Yellowjackets will chase you much further than hornets. Usually a fellow can jump 20 feet away and freeze like a rock. The hornets will almost always circle a few times and go back to the nest. You probably won't be so lucky with yellowjackets.

There's a difference in the venom too. With a hornet's sting, it may take a little while for the swelling to go down, but then it's pretty well over. A yellowjacket's sting will itch for a week after the swelling.

In other words, getting into a mess of yellowjackets can be far worse than hornets. I was called on one job where the foreman of a ranch was weed-eating in the bottom of a small creek. It was a gas powered weed-eater, so he couldn't hear them over the noise like you could. He didn't know anything was wrong until the first one got him. Looking down, his pants legs were yellow with them. He dropped the weed-eater and ran for the barn just as fast as he could run, swatting them off his clothes and trying to protect his face.

He ran in the barn and slammed the door behind him, then ran for the deepest, darkest place he could find, but they were still all over him. He finally got them off (mainly swatting and killing them), but by that time he had over 120 stings and had to go to the hospital. Things can get serious with that many stings!

Yup! They may be dangerous, but they are certainly fascinating!

Tom

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Still thinking -- Fascinating! Wonder why you have such a nice selection in New Zealand when there are so few in Australia?? The gal in Darwin didn't know what yellowjackets and hornets are, and I had to explain them to her! I could spend a life-time just studying these things.

LOL...because its nicer here...they are hot and dry...we are hot and moist...so there you go!!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

hot & moist! yeah right

cold & really wet

• still thinking
    still thinking

You know its true finallysomeprid...you just like deserts LOL

I am thinking about getting a bee hive...I am having lots of problems with my veges being pollinated. Either they are avoiding my garden ...or....there aren't many around. I've got plenty of flowers in to try and entice them...but still no joy. Actually had to hand pollinate most of my stuff last year...pain in the ass.

Plus the honey would be a bonus...better read up about it, I have no idea whats involved. Anyone else had bees? Is it difficult to do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit