How did plants survive the Flood?

by dgp 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

People who read the Bible word for word, story for story and try to make sense of it all will end in disappointment.

It seems to me that the vast majority of people who read the Bible word for word, story for story, actually belive it and take it at face value, despite evidence contrary to the stories. These people are not disappointed. They're deluded. And unfortunately, a lot of them try to force their delusions on everyone around them, who may not share their delusions or care for their fanaticism.

Then there's another group of people, smaller in size, who logically realize that not everything in the Bible can all be true, so they sieve through it to find some moral guidance or beautiful poetry or parable worth re-telling. They want to believe that there is good in the Bible, good enough so that they can continue to "believe" it and use it as a force in their lives, as if it has some power to improve their life over not having that book to guide them.

And then there's the pragmatic bunch. Fewer in number than either of the former, but growing in number. To them, it's a historical work of literature. Worth reading and knowing something of it. But in the end, its parables and stories are no more enlightening to life's mysteries than Chaucer, Shakespeare, Rowling or Suess. Nor is it more of a force for one to live a good life by. Enjoyable. A few good stories. A few good lessons. If one never read Shakespeare, they can still live a complete and full life. If one never reads the Bible, they can still live a complete and full life.

• sir82
    sir82
    You asked how plants would survive the flood. The answer is simple, seeds.

Which animals eat giant seqouia seeds? Or pinecones? or spores from ferns? Or....

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It seems to me that the vast majority of people who read the Bible word for word, story for story, actually belive it and take it at face value, despite evidence contrary to the stories. These people are not disappointed. They're deluded. And unfortunately, a lot of them try to force their delusions on everyone around them, who may not share their delusions or care for their fanaticism.

I would argue that those you are refering to do not read the Bible at all even as the words travel through their logical processors. The two ends of the spectrum your and I are alluding to consist of deniers on one end and apologists on the other, no?

If so, where do you put me?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If one never reads the Bible, they can still live a complete and full life.

I wholeheartedly agree, also purposeful.

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods
    There was no flood. It was a story in a fictional book. (The latter of the second sentence is opinion. The former is pure fact. ;)

Actually, if there was no flood about 4,000 years ago (a worldwide flood, as a matter of fact), then the second statement is also fact by simple logic.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Sir 82,

I don't know. I guess you can ask Noah in the New System at the convention.

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch
    I don't know. I guess you can ask Noah in the New System at the convention.

What an excellent escape route for someone who has been confronted by an excellent opposing argument, a witty condescending remark. Of course he/she can't actually own up to the fact that what they once thought was right has been proven wrong. How depressing. Ha.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

NVR2L8 >

By the way, where did Jesus say the deluge was universal?

For those who believe that the Bible is God’s Word, though, a global flood is more than a possibility. It is a fact. Jesus said to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) The apostle Paul wrote that God’s will is that “all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:3, 4) How could Paul teach followers of Jesus the doctrinal truth if God’s Word contains myths?

Not only did Jesus believe that the Flood took place but he also believed that it was global. In his great prophecy about his presence and the end of this system of things, he likened those events to the time of Noah. (Matthew 24:37-39) The apostle Peter also wrote about the floodwaters in Noah’s day: “By those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.”—2 Peter 3:6.

w08 6/1 p. 8, Was the Flood of Noah’s Day Really Global?

The GB has insight from above - that's good enough for me !

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

1. they became seaweed

or

2. they all died and were ressurected

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

RE: Matthew and Jesus speaking of the flood: CHapter 24

37 “For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38 “For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 “Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. 41 “Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one will be left.

As you can see Jesus mentions nothing of a global flood and only that, like in the time of the flood, people wil be goingon with their day-to-day lives.

RE:

2Peter:

The Coming Day of the Lord 3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

The word used by the writer for world was kosmos, which can mean:

1) an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government

2) ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, 'the heavenly hosts', as the ornament of the heavens. 1 Pet. 3:3

3) the world, the universe

4) the circle of the earth, the earth

5) the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family

6) the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ

7) world affairs, the aggregate of things earthly

a) the whole circle of earthly goods, endowments riches, advantages, pleasures, etc, which although hollow and frail and fleeting, stir desire, seduce from God and are obstacles to the cause of Christ

8) any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort

a) the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews (Rom. 11:12 etc)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit