I want your Christmas traditions!

by watersprout 28 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

One thing you might enjoy is to do a little research on old xmas traditions from your ethnic background. I found it helped me connect with my childhood and memories of those who have passed away.

Plus they are usually easy to do and not expensive. Just simple, quirky little things.

This is one from mine-Befana the witch who delivers presents during Advent.

I also have a really old cookbook with recipes organized by season, which is really cool for me in particular. I make things for each season--lost recipes, tasty and simple.

I have certain music I play and certain movies I watch. Anything that brings me good feelings.

• mamamo
    mamamo

Every year, except last year because we were snowed in (Our first White Christmas!), we go to a movie. The latest and greatest family friendly movie up to this point, but they are now 18 and 15, so...

I remember going to Toy Story when my oldest was almost 3 and I was pregnant with the second one. If we con't decide on one, we might see two.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Christmas is a shyte time of year...I spent it at the cemetry a few years ago after my mother died...I have to say I was shocked to see how many people were there.

For those who celebrate it...like I used to, it can be a very depressing time if you have no family, if you have lost someone, or for the many elderly people who live alone and have no one. Kids more often than not show spoilt greedy behaviour as they are overwhelmed by gifts.

Suicide rates increase at christmas time, and often people get into debt buying shyte that no body needs. Just check out the shopping malls and look at all the stressed out faces of people feeling pressured into buying rubbish they don't want to spend money on.

but hey....if you happen to be fortunate enough to have plenty of excess money, and family....ENJOY!!

I was never a baptised witness....but I could certainly live without christmas....BIG TIME.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I'm sorry that is your experience StillT.

I personally love it. Everything about it. The smell, the people, the chill, the music, the food................................nothing I don't like. It is what we make it, and since I left the Dubs at 19 I've made it big. I love my current (second) husband's attitude about it, he was never a Dub. I've loved it from the first time I was allowed to have it, at 19.

One of my favorite bits from "On the Banks of Plum Creek", Laura Ingalls Wilder

Something was shining bright in the top of Laura’s stocking. She squealed and jumped out of bed. So did Mary, but Laura beat her to the fireplace. And the shining thing was a glittering new tin cup. Mary had one exactly like it. These new tin cups were their very own. Now they each had a cup to drink out of. Laura jumped up and down and shouted and laughed, but Mary stood still and looked with shining eyes at her own tin up. Then they plunged their hands into the stockings again. And they pulled out two long, long sticks of candy. It was peppermint candy, striped red and white. They looked and looked at the beautiful candy, and Laura licked her stick, jus one lick. But Mary was not so greedy. She didn’t take even one lick of her stick. Those stockings weren’t empty yet. Mary and Laura pulled out two small packages. They unwrapped them, and each found a little heart-shaped cake. Over their delicate brown tops was sprinkled white sugar. The sparkling grains lay like tine drifts of snow. The cakes were too pretty to eat. Mary and Laura just looked at them. But at last Laura turned hers over, and she nibbled a tiny nibble from underneath, where it wouldn’t show. And the inside the little cake was white! It has been made of pure white flour, and sweetened with white sugar. Laura and Mary never would have looked in their stockings again. The cups and the cakes and the candy were almost too much. They were too happy to speak. But Ma asked if they were sure the stockings were empty. Then they put their arms down inside them, to make sure. And in the very toe of each stocking was a shining bright, new penny! They had never even thought of such a thing as having a penny. Think of having a whole penny for your very own. Think of having a cup and a cake and a stick of candy and a penny.
  • Berengaria
    Berengaria

From the time my children were born, we started the day with Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. At 26, my daughter still asks for it when they manage to wake up here Christmas morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2IzYU1r7Rc&feature=related

• still thinking
    still thinking

that's cute Berengaria

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Last year I had backpackers from Europe staying and we celebrated Advent. We made a wreath with four candles and decorated it. Each Sunday leading up to Christmas we lit one more candle. We also made cookies called 'Zimtsterne' - cinnamon stars - but I didn't have a cookie cutter, so we made lots of rather creative shapes as well.

My parents did all this when we were small, so it brought back some great memories. Still need a bit more practice with the cookies, though!

• watersprout
    watersprout

Wow I come on to see if anymore people have commented and it's two pages long! Wow! I have read through all your posts and i'm going to borrow one tradition from each of you and celebrate in true sprout style! Babysprout was playing Christmas carols in the car this morning on the way to school! We were singing very loudly and out of tune but it put us both in a really good mood.

Mrquik that sounds lovely... Don't think I can stretch to a caribbean cruise All your traditions are lovely and have really got me in the mood for Christmas now! bthis year lol! Have a fabulous time!

QE I will be borrowing your lasagne tradion for xmas eve! Sounds delicious especially with chips! Yummy!

Rebel I love all teh things you do but I expecially love the advent calender. Probably do the little gifts twelve days before xmas as our tree is going up the end of November lol!

Nugget I have bought a ''special'' decoration every xmas aswel... Well no such much one as ten! I am stealing your sock to stocking idea! Love it!

JRK I will eat chinese food and raise a chopstick to you!

MrsJ I love vintage xmas films! Can you send me the recipe for apple pancakes please?? They sound delicious.

Deist I shall tell all those around how they have failed me and raise a glass in your honour! Lol

Jewel when I read your post I filled up! I love that book! I know it practically off by heart. I am going to ask Carrot if he will make a advent tree... I absolutely LOVE it!

BOTR Your tree sounds out of this world. You will have to post a piccie of this xmas???? Pretty please????? I will also be volunteering somewhere. Not sure where but there is a soup kitchen not far from me and I know they are desperate for helpers especially at xmas.

Straight shooter I am already doing your tradition! Lol

Quendi I shall watch ''the lion in winter'' over xmas. Thank you.

Peace and onto page 2!

• watersprout
    watersprout

Mamamo I love your movie theatre tradition! I will be stealing that lol!

Still thinking I'm sorry you hate xmas, I hope this year you find something in xmas that makes you happy. I do agree if you have no family xmas is shat. Xmas is all about family and I hate to think of anyone on there own.

Berengaria I remember that ''littlehouse on the prarie episode''... Just goes to show how greedy kids are today... Those girls were soo happy with such simple things, it makes you well up. I will be watching ''dance with the sugar plum fairy'' on xmas day.

Retro I am stealing your wreath idea! I love it!

Thank you for all your lovely traditions they are fabulous!

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit