My only own regret when I left

by Joey Jo-Jo 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Wow, Gary, now that I think of it, as a child our friends used to make a "haunted house" in their bedrooms around halloween time, and we would always go to their house for New Years and stay until after midnight, which we never did any other time. My brother and sister claimed that they even got drunk! We also celebrated our parent's wedding anniversary with a big thanksgiving type meal and presents for everyone, right around that time of year. Currently, we know witness friends who seem to celebrate birthdays in their own roundabout way....

Great post Daniel.

Shades

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I knew about Hassans books but didn't see them necessary at the time, but I didn't understand why they are acting this way.

I just finished Releasing The Bonds, now I understand why they acted the way they did and why they didn't listen, my only regret was not reading this and Combating Cult Mind Control earlier.

This cannot be repeated enough, IMHO.

For those reading these words who haven't read Hassan's first book, PLEASE do so.

• wordfamine.com
    wordfamine.com
    I said things that for them seemed that I wanted them to change to another religion when in fact it's general Christianity. - I should have been more careful and shown 'd my motives to be out of true love-true love overcomes conditional love.

This is the first response I got from my family years ago as well. My mother asked me if I was going to start my own church. I was shocked because I could see that she was more than half serious.

A better tack may be to ask the JW to explain from the scriptures how they can get their sins forgiven since Jesus isn't their Mediator, they are not justified, and they are not born again. All acknowledged by the Watchtower and yet; required for Salvation in the New Testament.

If a person avoids critizing the Watchtower altogether, and just sticks to salvation ... it may delay the inevitable for a while longer.

Anyway, don't beat yourself up. Sooner of later you will be directly challenged as to your loyalty to Christ or to the WT. When you choose Christ it is the same to them as you choosing the devil.

My only regret, having had time to evualate all the gains and losses is that I only had one dearly loved family to say good-bye to.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

For those reading these words who haven't read Hassan's first book, PLEASE do so.

Which is the first to read for a newly awakened JW?

• drewcoul
    drewcoul
    dad asked me why not I just join his (Ray's) religion since I know so much.

Sounds like my dad, Joey. They didn't really shun me either, like your parents. Dad has been dead now for about 5 years. If your dad is anything like mine was, he probably recognizes some of the inconsistencies, but feels it's the closest thing to the best religion.

I think you're right. Just continue to be loving unconditionally and they will probably do the same........eventually.

Kind regards,

-Drew

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Which is the first to read for a newly awakened JW?

1. Crisis of Conscience (to learn that WT has never been God's Organization)

2. Combatting Cult Mind Control (to learn WHY seven million people believe it is)

• sizemik
    sizemik

@00DAD . . . You post makes good reading Daniel . . . you are a fast learner. Schooling ourselves up quickly and "deconstructing the cult experience" as another poster once expressed it, gives us a huge advantage.

thanks to Sizemik, it was he that first recommended that book to me a few months back when I first started posting here.

Just to put the record straight on that . . . I was a johnny-come-lately on that score too. By good luck rather than good management, my family got out intact. It was only recently that I read Hassans books. Now I too see where I could have done things much better.

It was the poster leavingwt who's recommendation prompted me to do a belated catch-up. I understand he also used the information to very good effect. Somewhat like Joey Jo-Jo . . . I feel it's a critical mistake to make and should be avoided at all costs . . . therefore I'm quick to recommend it.

Ideally, we should all recommend it as often and early as possible. It's simply that important.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

thank you all for your input.

OnTheWayOut: I hear you, Steven latter book is more complete, try not to discuss jw stuff but rather give them back the tools to critically think (explained in the book). This book came with a A4 letter saying that SIA approach does not work in all cases and that professional counselling is advised.

• Ding
    Ding

If you add "Captives of a Concept" into the mix, I would read the three in this order:

1. Crisis of Conscience

2. Captives of a Concept

3. Combatting Cult Mind Control

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

There is a point where we have to accept eachother. JW or not there are a lot of things I do that I know my parents would not approve of. We all the right to believe what we want to believe not matter how illogical.

I tell myself it's not they are killing baby seals or drowning puppies. Sometimes it helps to put things in perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit