Spong: "Why We Must Reclaim The Bible From Fundamentalists"

by leavingwt 87 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear designs...

interestingly, once the saving gospel of Jesus Christ has been abandoned in favor of diplomacy(world rev 13:1-6) and compromise(pseudo-religious "church" 13:11-17) the only ones who appreciate the holiness of God and therefore understand the necessity of a Saviour are those spoken of in rev 7:3-8...it is not israel "the church" in view here but "the tribes" of israel are invoked as the last chosen*

note: after those on earth have taken the mark, the scene is shown that there are only 144,000 left who actually "follow" the LAMB and have His Father's name written on their foreheads. rev. 14:1

love michelle

*these chosen have NOT fornicated with the "kings of the earth" like the pseudo-religious (but un-saved) "church" in rev 13:11-17...they are virgins and among those who are called firstfruits(james 1:18) to God and to the Lamb...rev 14:4-5.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear designs...

I also should have emphasised that the number 144,000 may not be symbolic because it seems that there are few jewish people who defer to God whole-heartedly and know and believe that they are living under the wrath of God...hence the push among some orthodox jewish to rebuild the third temple in order to commence the sacrifices on behalf of their people...( are you more like these or more anti-semitic?)

Orthodox Judaism believes in the rebuilding of a Third Temple and the resumption of sacrificial worship, although there is disagreement about how rebuilding should take place. Orthodox scholars and rabbinic authorities generally believe that rebuilding should occur in the era of the Jewish Messiah at the hand of Divine Providence, although a minority position, following the opinion of Maimonides, holds that Jews should endeavour to rebuild the temple themselves, whenever possible. [ 1 ] Orthodox authorities generally predict the resumption of the complete traditional system of sacrifices, but Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist authorities disavow all belief in the resumption of Korban. This belief is embedded in Orthodox Jewish prayer services. Three times a day, Orthodox Jews pray the Amidah, which contains prayers for the Temple's restoration and for sacrificial worship's resumption, and every day there is a recitation of the order of the day's sacrifices and the psalms the Levites would have sung that day.

The generally accepted position among Orthodox Jews is that the full order of the sacrifices will be resumed upon the building of the Temple. Although Maimonides wrote in his early work "A Guide for the Perplexed" "that God deliberately has moved Jews away from sacrifices towards prayer, as prayer is a higher form of worship,", however his definitive book "Mishneh Torah" - which is considered by some to be the final authority on Jewish law - states that animal sacrifices will resume in the third temple, and details how they will be carried out. Some [who?] attribute to Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook the view that animal sacrifices will not be reinstituted. These views on the Temple service are sometimes misconstrued (for example, in Olat Re'ayah, commenting on the prophecy of Malachi ("Then the grain-offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to God as in the days of old and as in former years" [Malachi 3:4]), he indicates that only grain offerings will be offered in the reinstated Temple service, while in a related essay from Otzarot Hare'ayah he suggests otherwise). ~wikipedia~

love michelle

• sabastious
    sabastious

marking

• designs
    designs

Thanks Michelle,

I know you are a true believer and it works well for you.

All the best.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Yes, reclaim the bible from them. Why should they get all the fun blaming Jews for the death of Jesus?

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear designs...

ummm...are you being factitious?

do you want to consult a rabbi?

love michelle

• designs
    designs

Hi,

No I was not being factitious nor even being my usual smart ass, it was a compliment.

Actually it was my study with Rabbis and studying Judaism that helped me close the religious chapters in my life. I am grateful for that period it formed a natural bridge to the study of the sciences which I had neglected as a Witness.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear designs...

the *scientific method demands tangible verifiability and repeatability as a prerequisite to establishing proof......

love michelle

*Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. [1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. [2] The Oxford English Dictionary says that scientific method is: "a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses." [3]

Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, identifiable features distinguish scientific inquiry from other methods of obtaining knowledge. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses via predictions which can be derived from them. These steps must be repeatable, to guard against mistake or confusion in any particular experimenter. Theoriesthat encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. Theories, in turn, may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context.

Scientific inquiry is generally intended to be as objective as possible, to reduce biased interpretations of results. Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, giving them the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established~wikipedia~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit