Liberal Christians explain how you view 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

by ShadesofGrey 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cantleave
    cantleave

All scripture was created by men from ancient cultures that are no longer relevant to modern life. They reflect the ignorance of the time and should treated as myths and fairy tales.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Are you sure? If you are sure, how do you know?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Are you sure? If you are sure, how do you know?

I take it the question is addressed to my comment. Here's my answer......

Because there is absolutely no evidence to contrary. I see nothing in the scriptures that reflects our understanding of the natural world, the human mind or universal concepts of science.

I see a book that degrades women, supports genocide and infanticide and condones slavery.

I read a book full of contradictions and innaccuracies. The book is impossible to understand and open to any interpretation you want.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Would Paul have considered his writings scripture?

Certainly, Peter though so.

2 Peter 3:15-16

English Standard Version (ESV)

15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. My own view on 2 Tim 3:16-17 is it does what it say on the tin (and that includes the whole of the bible).
    2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. The caevat is that without the Holy Spirit bringing His revelation, the bible is pretty much just some history, a collection of poems and songs, some interesting wise sayings and such. As a literary work, the bible can also be quite dull. As a spiritual work it IS life, IS truth, IS the way.
    1 Corinthians 2:14

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

It "speaks" like no other text. It breathes with the heartbeat of God. It is His book for His people and all those who find themeselves drawn to His call. The Father speaks not only generally to His children but also individually to us. I am always happy to hear what He has to say, even the occasional telling off because it is always done in love. Blessings, Stephen
  • cofty
    cofty

The bible only speaks to you if you first decide it is the word of god and read it through that filter ignoring all the ignorance, misogyny, cruelty, contradictions and general stupidity of its authors. Similar to the way we used to read the Watchtower.

Nobody could read the bible and think it inspired unless they were pre-conditioned to think so.

• designs
    designs

1Cor.2:14 sounds like it was written by Fred Franz or Ted Hazzard. First rule- tell people who criticize the Bible on a technical and ethical level they 'don't and can't understand', it doesn't work, the Bible is completely understandable that's why millions are now turning against it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit