Liberal Christians explain how you view 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

by ShadesofGrey 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

So the Christian (baptist) that I study with says that there are things in the bible that are useful for learning from history, but if God didn't say it (this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said, or if Jesus actually said it, etc.) then it isn't something that God is saying, so that helps us understand it?

I know I need to say more in my question, but hopefully I will learn from your responses to the title.

Thanks.

• N.drew
    N.drew

http://concordances.org/greek/2315.htm

I think your question is; does 2 Timothy mean ALL scripture is "God breathed" or inspired, or does it mean that all God inspired scripture are beneficial for making the man of God complete. It is a good question. I believe the Holy Spirit can direct you to what is good for you, to make you complete. It is not the same as what will make me complete. So what scriptures are inspired for you are different than the ones that are inspired for me. But of course many are the same.

• tec
    tec

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I believe all scripture is God-breathed... hence 'scripture'. But I don't believe the entire bible is scripture, and even scripture can be 'messed' with - lying pen of the scribes, mistranslation, mishandling, etc. That is why no matter what 'scripture' or simple 'passage' is relaying a lesson in the bible, I measure everything against Christ and his teachings.

Peace,

Tammy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wish you had posted the verses. Paul prob. did not write Timothy so I take Timothy books with a grain of sand. Oh, all scripture is useful. Useful does not mean definitive, all encompassing. Almost everything in life is useful. The Catholic Church did not want its members reading the Bible unaided. It taught that you needed the Church tradition, teaching, and paternalism to interpret what was in the Bible. The text was never enough. Bible translaltors were burned alive. Useful endorses the Catholic viewpoint that tradition is also important. I don't see "useful" as a high hurdle.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Here you go:

16 Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action),

17 So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

By studying the Bible with a Christian, I actually call when I have a question, (once a month or so) and I ask several people, and I feel free to disagree with any and/or all. Completely different from studying with the JWs. :)

• Diest
    Diest

Use the search feature on the forum....there is more info on here than any christian will give you....it also comes from a broad perspective.....People like Leolena(sp?) Alan F in the past and so on have great posts about non JW topics....

• garyneal
    garyneal

It's been stated before that all scripture is God breathed but then the idea of what texts in the Bible is considered 'scripture.' Would Paul have considered his writings scripture?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Exactly what I was wondering Gary.

• tec
    tec

Of course, Christ also said that the Spirit would teach and lead you into all truth. So while scripture may be useful in teaching (if we know which parts are scripture), Christ is the actual Teacher. The Holy Spirit is more important than what we may or may not know as scripture (which might also be tampered with, mistranslated, corrupted).

Peace,

Tammy

• JeffT
    JeffT

The concept of "sola scriptura" --scripture alone-- began during the Reformation and has been strongly emphasized by Baptist and Evangelical churches. I am not sure if it is at all clear where the earliest Christians stood on the subject. Certainly the Orthodox churches did not teach for a period of a thousand years or so, and still don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit