• possible-san
    possible-san

TheOldHippie.
    Samuel Thorsen.
    Mad Sweeney.
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat.

Thank you for the information.
    And thank you for replying.

Well, although I have not met him, I do not deny that he may be FRIENDLY.
    But probably, as for that, the members of the GB are also the same.

My friend knows a member of the current GB.
    And he said, "He is friendly."
    But I said, "He is a fake anointed." (Since he was born in after 1935, I said so.)

Probably, in this forum, there are the persons who know a member of the GB.
    But, probably, except JWs, nobody considers that the GB is right (God's channel).

That he/Furuli is friendly does not prove that he is right as a JW.
    Clearly, there is something wrong in him (as a JW).

He ignored what the GB said about higher education.
    And, he wrote books regarding the Bible. (He provided "spiritual food.")

Since he is a person who accepts their looseness for JWs who are loose and insincere, he may be popular.

possible

• talesin
    talesin

He started teaching himself Hebrew while working, and then entered University and ended up a professor. His scholarly work deals with a new understanding of the time frame of the verbs, how they are used in texts including Bible texts (when are they to be understood as relating to the past, present or future etc.).

Then these credentials would make him a very useful tool for the Society.

I've been reading this thread. How disgusting of him to brag about 'his' congregation/associates having an education, when most of us were deprived of that opportunity.

tal

• Augustin
    Augustin

You'll find some information on Rolf J. Furuli here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Furuli

He is not a professor, if by professor you mean a senior academic "holding a departmental chair". This is how the term is used in Europe, e.g. in Norway. Thus, in Norway he is by no means considered a professor. He is currently working at the University Library for Humanities and Social Sciences in Oslo, Norway, as a consultant. He also has his own company (cleaning services).

I'm not sure if he currently teaches Classic Hebrew at the University of Oslo, but he may have done so in the past, working as a part-time teacher (lecturer).

Interestingly, Furuli is not listed among the scholars who have made the new Norwegian translation of the Bible ("Bibel 2011"). I seriously doubt that Furuli is considered an expert although he surely has a Ph.D. and, therefore, is valuable for both the average JW and the WTC as an apologist.

Regards

A.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

According to the Norwegian wikipedia, he was a travelling overseer in the 70s.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

and according to his biography, he states that he was assistant professor in 1995.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

he also translated the Ethiopian holy book of Kebra Galast, the holy book of the Ethíophians.

See following link on an interview with him and the translation and its contents.

Quite strange in a way, cause a lot of its contents is contrary to JW beliefs. Still he contributes in spreading them to a wider audience.

http://www.bokklubben.no/SamboWeb/side.do?rom=AK&dokId=544943

(make use of google translate to see its main contents).

• sizemik
    sizemik

Interesting article InquiryMan . . .

It is new to me the origins of Rastafaria, and how it relates to the Kebra Nagast and the modern Emperor Haile Selassie. Like Islam in a way . . . everybody wants a claim on the Abrahamic God . . . by vitue of race. Fascinating really.

And hard to imagine how a genuine scholar(?), who delves into this history, ever holds to JW teachings . . . boggles the mind.

• possible-san
    possible-san

VM44.
    talesin.
    Augustin.
    InquiryMan.
    sizemik.

Thanks.

Well, I will feel more suspicious about him, when I get to know him more.

Probably, among irresponsible people (pretended JWs), he was spoiled indulgently.
    His words and deeds do not belong to Jehovah's Witnesses clearly.
    But, he has gained the good position in the Organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Or he is living a "dual life."
    In a sense, he is a slicker.
    Most of JWs cannot do cunningly like him/fox.

possible

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Well, I feel not like judging another fellow human being.

Perhaps he has the guts to follow his own path even amid a strict system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit