Who is Rolf Furuli?

by possible-san 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• possible-san
    possible-san

Is he a reliable scholar?
    (Most of anti-Jehovah's Witnesses in Japan hardly know his name.)

Is he an active Jehovah's Witness?

Are the articles of the latest Watchtower (October 1, November 1) based on his theory?

If he has written the books regarding the Bible, why isn't he disfellowshipped as the Watch Tower society's enemy?
    (Because only the FDS can give "spiritual food.")

possible

• Alfred
    Alfred

He's a delisional elder in Norway employed by the GB to refute anything that contradicts their 1914 doctrine...

• Alfred
    Alfred

sorry... i meant delusional....

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

He was probably reliable when he was working in his field of expertise (which I believe is ancient languages). I don't remember all the details for sure but I think he became a JW and then started using his educated credentials to write articles and books supporting 607BCE as the date for the destruction of Jerusalem. Unfortunately, he isn't an expert in the fields of history, anthropology, or ancient Assyria. Everything he claims stems around just a couple key points that don't actually prove anything and are completely rebuffed by Carl Olof Jonsson.

There is little doubt that the Borg used his input for its Watchtower articles this autumn because he is quite literally the only reputable scholar of any type who believes those assertions and supports them that way.

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Used to be a DO, or District Overseer over Circuits, and Circuit Overseers of JWs, for those unfamiliar with the initials.

Former professor at Oslo University I beleive. Akkadian, Sumerian, some Greek and Hebrew background?? Definately supports GB.

Once tried to convince me about 607 BCE. Says GB are sincere men. Explains matters by correlating sumerian tablets and prophesies in Jeremiah and Daniel and party line.

As are most , he is very sincere in his belief and sure things will work out for the best if maintain loyalty to GB................................................................!!

• possible-san
    possible-san

Alfred.
    Mad Sweeney.
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat.

Thanks.

Well, in English-speaking world and among ex-JWs, is this person famous?
    In my memory, probably, I think that the COC did not refer to his name (Furuli).

I cannot believe that he is an elder.
    He is an "enemy" of the GB in fact.

Probably, since B.C. 607 is "falsehood", he may alter his view afterward.
    He becomes a real enemy of the GB then.

First of all, Russell and Rutherford taught that it is "B.C. 606", on the basis of the Bible.
    Therefore, it is not "B.C. 607" that he/Furuli should prove.

possible

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

He is an elder, and also pursued his academic career while being a witness. It is not an academic who became a witness, but a witness becoming an academic.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Probably, he is a different person among ordinary JWs.

The GB does not recommend "higher education."
    And, probably, higher education contradicts/denies B.C. 607.

In my standpoint, he is an enemy of the GB.
    Since that higher education of his, and supplying his spiritual food.

If he can write the books regarding the Bible, other JWs can do so, too.

possible

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

It is a well known fact among JWs in Norway that Rolf Furuli is an academic. He has been interviewed on TV, given interviews as a JW representative in newspapers etc... so he is definitely a rather high profile witness in Norway.

• possible-san
    possible-san

I think that he is a typical "double standard."

The GB has denied higher education clearly.
    He cannot be an academic if he is a serious JW.

Among the Japanese ex-JWs, there is almost no person who got education at a college.
    He is worse than ex-JWs.

However, among Japan branch and the Japanese COs, I hear that there are much guys who graduated from the university.
    This is a typical double standard.

possible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit