Watchtower STUDY EDITION - Vehicle for Vitriol and REALLY crazy statements?

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• agonus
    agonus

Agonus has often referred to himself in the third person when desperation and cognitive dissonance has driven him to his wit's end.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Bella – ‘Loving re-adjustment’. Yes, tis true sadly.

Agonus – ‘More Pointed’. Good description.

Teary Oberon– Thanks for your input. It was a description of the contents I was referring to. How would you describe it though out of interest?

Wobble – Yes. Agreed. The ‘ad hominem’ is strong in those articles.

Blues Brother – Good point. (Oh, no, I sound like I’m conducting the watchtower study again!). I hope to see more raised awareness. Several work mates read the Independent’s article and were amazed at how hateful the watchtower was being.

Therevealer – Thanks. You are correct.

Found Sheep – Raising awareness is a key as your comment suggests.

Dark Knight – I agree totally. "Minds must be cleansed" (Watchtower, June 1, 1953, p. 350 par. 24).

Teary Oberon – Go for it! See what comes back, yeah?

Sapphy – I agree. Punk thinks it’s creepy to do the 3 rd person thang too!

James Woods – The poster called Punk had not heard of this before. The poster called Punk thanks the poster called James for this snippet.

Teary Oberon – The poster called Punk………..ah, forget it this is weird!

James Woods – The poster called Teary forgets 3 men in a back room weeding out ‘mentally diseased apostates’ for ‘slaughter’!

MrMunroe – ‘Members Only’. Yes. Sounds like the ‘Old Boys Club’ edition!

Teary Oberon – Ouch! ‘Ad Hominem’ Alert. ‘Ad Hominem’ Alert. Watchtower style propaganda technique used. Teary. Please restrict your comments to the ‘constructive’ not ‘destructive’ on my thread. I request you stop being so precious about the watchtower and remember it’s own command = ‘’ We also refuse to read their literature, watch television programs that feature them, examine their websites, or add our comments to their blogs."

………Punk leaves the feline debate in case it gets too catty!

Cantleave – Yes. ‘Stupid Mode’ ruins the thrust of threads.

Agonus – Overlapping! Now there’s a subject and a half.

Teary Oberon – ‘learn’ and ‘Kingdom Hall’ are not terms I associate together. Sorry.

Listener – Valid observation. They seem to be attempting to appear high and mighty by putting everyone else down. Thus =

The Governing Body = Higher than godNon GB 'anointed' = possibly mental cases
    Rank & File = Unworthy drones – Mustn’t trust each other
    'Apostates' = pretend enemy & mental cases

Ziddina – Hello! Sweetie ((HUGS))

Agonus – I feel your pain friend. The WTB$ DOES 100% break up families as mine is now suffering with a wife stuck firmly in the bOrg, unable to reason but just to be very shouty and aggressive if her precious ‘organization’ is criticised…………and she can’t see how weird she’s being!

Mad Sweeney – In the congo I was in, if any ‘randomer’ happened in off the street and requested a ‘Study Edition’ they’d be treated with utmost suspicion.

Teary Oberon – See my comment to Mad Sweeney…………..I was a long term elder BTW and I know how they worked. What’s your experience/position in the congregation out of interest?

…….Punk steps aside as Teary and Agonus have a little chit chat together

Talesin – Hi. How you doing sweetie?

Sizemik – Choice cuts of meat on display my friend. Nice one.

• nugget
    nugget

I think the watchtower has always been a bit forthright however the difference now is that they do not have to sanitize the study articles to make them more palatable to the public. Nor do we see the real lesson juxtaposed against a softer more rational perspective aimed at showing the public how normal and unthreatening the religion is. Because of this the words stand out as they stand alone. One magazine can carry many unpleasant articles each building on the next.

The watchtower is under attack like it never has been in the past, the internet exposes past errors and forums such as this one are able to give voice to many realities the society would prefer to remain hidden. They are having to control the congregations like never before thus the ascerbic tone and emphasis on conformity.

There is nothing you can learn from the watchtower that is of any value. I say this with regret having devoted decades to studying their material. Certainly anything that preaches the level of hate it does against the world, past members and sinners has nothing of Jesus in it. I wonder if they have more in common with the jewish leaders of Jesus day than the early disciples.

The general public only know what they see presented to them on the ministry, since the publishers on the service only present a public version of the watchtower how are members of the public supposed to surmise that there is an alternative magazine available to request? In addition how many people would be aware of how to access the site to download on line? If the society was open about all materials then the front page of the watchtower should advertise what is in the alternate magazine making people aware of it.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

The Jws dont have lists??? WTF??? They have lists of lists.....they know exactlywhat the numbers of the memorial partakers are.

Its going up when it should be going down and they are crapping it.

Morning everybody, its been a while. Ive been out, getting a life.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nugget - Yeppers! Pharisees in modern times.

Pams Girl - I'm glad you're ok. I wonder if this means that individual congregations won't take a count of how many ate the crackers and supped the vinegar?

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Teary, it's a members-only version of The Watchtower because its intended audience is Jehovah's Witnesses who attend meetings. As opposed to the public version, whose intended audience is the public. As you well know.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

"Teary, it's a members-only version of The Watchtower because its intended audience is Jehovah's Witnesses who attend meetings. As opposed to the public version, whose intended audience is the public. As you well know."

Sorry, but you are still being disengenuous with the term "members-only." That is an absolute term, and is therefore a misnomer (what the heck even is a "member" in Witness terminology anyways? You never even bother to define that...) The more proper term is "Sunday study only," because anybody who shows up for the Sunday study (Witness or non-Witness) can use and read the magazine.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Teary seems to be very well informed about the witnesses (and very enthusiastically supportive of them) for someone who claims to not be a witness.

I still call BS by way of trolling.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    I still call BS by way of trolling.

Took you long enough LOL.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The topic police are slow to anger, but we are sure of purpose once the evidence is clear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit