If Jerusalem destruction was truly significant- Why would an almighty God allow so much confusion regarding the date?

by mankkeli 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I was just thinking that if truly the destruction of Jerusalem would have any significance today, why should there be so much confusion surrounding its date and discrepancies regarding the names of those neo-babylonian kings.

If truly that event was significant, why should it be so difficult for the almighty God to pen down the exact date in the bible and shield us from unnecessary debates, reliance on scholars and opaque explanations from religions with ulterior motives?. I cant comprehend any reason to justify the silence from God on this date.

Oh God, why do you allow so much chaos on this 607/587 contention?. At least, you should have shown us some dignity and extend your mercy toward us to avoid strife and if this is only a cosmic joke we will know it in due time.

• nugget
    nugget

Apparently the only confusion is created by those who dismiss the archeological record because they need a different date to match their chronology.

But yes you would have expected there to be absolute clarity about such a pivotal date.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

nugget - Why does God have to allow such dismissal in the first case?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

As NUGGET already said, they really is no controversy over the date at all. Just for those who rely on 607 to prop up their moribund religion.

But I wondered too, would it have been so difficult for god to include some books in the bible itself that had the astronomical observations and other materials necessary to date the events in the bible? Would have made things much easier, without the need for the evil secular records.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Because then we would be serving God by facts and not by faith?

It's as good as any reason the JW's could come up with.

• agonus
    agonus

Never let the facts get in the way of your faith. ;-)

• dgp
    dgp

But I wondered too, would it have been so difficult for god to include some books in the bible itself that had the astronomical observations and other materials necessary to date the events in the bible? Would have made things much easier, without the need for the evil secular records.

Breakfast: God needed some help from scientists. He's omniscient, but you can't expect him to know everything! Give the God a break!

• jehu or jehonadab
    jehu or jehonadab

i dont think there is confusion the only confusion is history and man made clay tablets throwing everbody off ..As far as 607 bce as some belive we will just have to wait and see.

The bible clearly says that it would lie in ruins for 70 years I dont belive the whole 20 year sevitude was part of the this prophecy.

Anyways I can tell you that at the end of 2014 when christ has been in power for over 100 years according to JW that many will start to drop away and really question

the whole 1914 last days.

• Alfred
    Alfred

jesus was very clear when he instructed his disciples not to 'speculate' about when he would return and establish his kingdom (see acts 1:7)... so any confusion regarding the date of jerusalem's destruction was created solely by the fds (making things up as they along)...

• wobble
    wobble

No confusion about it in my mind.I think a lot of people need to actually read their Bible before they write about it.Especially the WT.

For their desire for a prophecy that they have inserted in to scripture (lets face it 2520 years ? based on whaaaaat ???) for their desire to end up at 1914 to work they need 70 years of desolation, the Bible does not say that there would be . Read it.

They also need 607 to be the date that King Neb destroyed Jerusalem, it isn't, by any use of valid proof.

I do agree with the O.P that ,if there were a loving God, and if such things were of importance, then he would have made it plain and simple, why shroud it all in mystery so that people have to use all sorts of esoteric methods to understand what He was trying to say ?

The 1914 doctrine of the WT was shot out of the water in the 1960's by a number of people, the powers that were in Brooklyn at the time were well aware of it, President Knorr was worried that it would not stand up apparently. Since then the Governing Body and the Writing Department have been well aware that they are flogging a dead horse, the problem is, no 1914, no choosing by JC 3.5 years later, = they are not God's organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit