Thoughts on the current Governing Body

by JRK 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for the "mug" shots, bats in the belfry. We now know what these criminals look like. The next step is to place them in post offices around the United States with the caption "FBI's Most Wanted".

Quendi

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

? Are Jehovah’s Witnesses as firm about gluttony among their members as they are about the harmful tobacco habit?
    Jehovah’s Witnesses take a Bible-based stand against tobacco, and they equally accept the Scriptural condemnation of gluttony.

What, though, about gluttonous overeating? Frankly, the Bible condemns gluttony, which is greedy excess in eating, or voracious overeating. An Israelite son who was unrepentantly “a glutton and a drunkard” was to be executed. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) Proverbs warns against “having companionship with gluttons.” (Proverbs 28:7; 23:20, 21) Gluttony is also wrong since we are told that “greedy persons” will not inherit God’s Kingdom. (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; compare 1 Peter 4:3; Philippians 3:18, 19.) Christian overseers are to be “self-controlled,” not “unemployed gluttons.” (Titus 1:8, 12) This is so serious that some overseers have been removed because of their uncontrolled eating.

For example, Christians should cultivate self-control, which applies to eating too. (Galatians 5:22, 23; 2 Peter 1:5-8) The apostle Paul urged the Christian to be like a runner who “exercises self-control in all things.” Paul ‘pummeled his body and led it as a slave that he should not become disapproved.’ (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) A stout person may have reason to ‘pummel his body’ as to how much, what, when, and how he eats.

Being fat can be dangerous. Reports show that obesity can lead to higher blood pressure and cholesterol levels, adult-onset diabetes, several types of cancer, heart and gallbladder disease, arthritis, and respiratory problems. “A person who is 20 percent overweight faces a death rate one-third higher than average; for those 30 and 50 percent overweight, the rates are 50 and 100 percent higher, respectively.” (The New York Times, February 27, 1985) Similar reports of health problems come from England, Germany, and Italy.

A Christian truly wants to ‘love Jehovah with his whole heart, soul [or, life], mind, and strength.’ (Mark 12:30) Many, upon studying Christianity, quit smoking to preserve their health and life. Should not Christians be just as concerned that being overweight because of overindulgence might undermine their health and their life that is dedicated to Jehovah?

Some people eat more when they are sad, frustrated, lonely, or angry. While being a Christian does not wholly prevent such feelings, rather than finding relief in unnecessary eating, the Christian can turn to God and to his brothers. In this regard read Philippians 4:6, 7, 11-13. Even scientists who hold that a person has a natural inclination toward a certain weight admit that this can be changed. They stress cutting down on high-fat food and increasing physical activity. Interestingly, in many areas a Christian who shares regularly in the door-to-door ministry does much healthful walking and climbing. Paul, too, ‘labored and toiled’ in the ministry.—2 Corinthians 11:26, 27.

Thus, Jehovah’s Witnesses disapprove of gluttony because of what the Bible says. Whatever their weight, they strive to ‘exercise self-control in all things,’ including eating. This is not primarily because of a cultural judgment about fashion but because they want to live by Bible principles and be active Christians having God’s approval.

w86 5/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers

• JRK
    JRK

I told y'all Lett was dumb, look at the lobotomized stare. That's as good as it gets.

JK

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Recently I watched Lett in that 'Faith In Action' DVD - he has that stare on him throughout the interview. Something is wrong with that guy - I believe the needs medical attention.

• noontide
    noontide

I find it interesting that since the Watchtower is a worldwide organization, it sure seems to lack in cultural diversity. No anointed Governing Body members hailing from India, Japan, China, South America, Africa? Has there ever been an anointed Governing Body member from these “minority” countries? You think God would have included at least one in the group. How can you effectively preach to the world if the Governing Body can’t understand or relate to the rest of the world’s cultures? Seems like you have to be of White or Anglo-American descent to be a Governing Body member. Interesting.

• JRK
    JRK

Herd is black, and Pierce has age spots. What more do you want?

JK

• baltar447
    baltar447

Lett looks gay. Also he looks like a moron. But not because he's gay, but because he's a moron.

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

BTTT...

Very hitting the nail on the head JRK... Or however that expression goes... Even about Mr. Lett. I never could stand his talks, discussions at Morning Worship, or weird prayers. Have you ever heard him speak? I couldn't/can't begin to understand how someone like him would be responsible for so many millions of lives and billions of dollars in assets. Regardless, the rest of your assessment is spot on perfectly expert. I wish they could be toppled, and things were reformable. Though, one major obstacle is that they, oddly, confidently feel that they should not be held accountable. It makes me feel so uncomfortable. It's like the weird, ugly, ackward, geeky guy feeling so popular and confident, enough to get the hotttttest, nicest, smartest girl in school.

There is such a disconnect with reality, one I, believe it or not, didn't really see with the older members who, regardless of other things that can be said of them, looked forward with a gleam in their eyes. They were, I dare say now, more progressive! If you give me that. Maybe I am more profoundly now just hurt, at the selling off of Brooklyn.

Even the 'accomplishments' part of the past is gone. The memories possibly, the connect with the growth of American culture during the past two centuries, the stories of being young Bethelites, as had been Barber, Sydlik, Swingle, Klein... The stories of Couch and Larsen. All gone. Somehow now erased. Talk about robbing an entire 'brotherhood' of nostalgia and ownership of what they help buid. (ie. also Spain Branch, Ireland, Gilead, etc.)

I know, again, all nostalgia. But, I do have a heart. I'm def. not a corporate yes-man. Never was, never will be!

I guess, it saddens me more than anything, this organization could be such a force for good. And I truly believe it has been and was in some respects. Many people were helped by it, and fundamentally did contribute to the joy and satisfaction in the lives of many. I really don't see it doing that now, in the present, under these circusmances. Who wants to sit twice a week and be scolded over and over about not doing enough? Scared into submission, told to talk to strangers but not to trust them because they are evil and might want to add you on Facebook. However, you need to go to people's doors and make them invite you into their home and sit with you in their living room to discuss the most intimate parts of their lives, though if after, even becoming good friends, they choose not to agree with your beliefs, you will shun them and consider them 'mentally diseased.' And if you don't shun them, you will be immediately disfellowshipped. Oh, and that goes for loved ones and family members too. Isn't that the actual, pure definition of a 'cult?'

As I read the reflections on another thread about Gilead School, how can we ignore that there are so many genuine followers that are filled with the best qualities, whose efforts are being betrayed. How can they help not being disilussioned? Feeling abandoned? Lifeless?

I wonder those things but am reminded how 'steadfast' everyone was enouraged to be leading up to this past decade; the problem is that they have been led full force, straight for a solid brick wall!!!

"Steadfast, undaunted, in this time of the end..."

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

JRK sez,

Item #5: They are paranoid! Instead of thinking that their stupidity and harshness are driving away ever-increasing members, they know it is a huge conspiracy of an organization of apostates. This concept is much easier to digest for dumb people than that they are the ones screwing up! Therefore, make the shunning more harsh, and enforce it in the congregations. An organization of apostates; how ridiculous

The same thing happened in 1980 with Ray Franz and about 50-100 of the rest of us. Starting a new organization, or topling the old, was at that time the last thing on our minds. They were cocky and scared to death. Now they are just scared to death.

BOO!

Go run and hide.

Because this time we ARE taking you down for your crimes against humanity, public media brick by public media brick.

We don't have to make you look bad, Governing Body, you are doing a great job without us!

We don't want no stinking organization, we want you laughed out of office. Pray someone doesn't strip you of your $$billions.

Happy Halloween!

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

I make those comments, absent of any debate on the actual doctrinal issues. Which are another topic all together. I focused on the effects that this group of 7 has had, will have, and probably in and of itself cause a partial, if not total, demise of an organization they, and so many, hold dear. Especially if those many were genuinely seeking Truth, and a loving and ever-loyal Christian brotherhood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit