IT'S HALLOWE'EN ,,, what's your best scary movie ....EVER???? and WHY?

by talesin 86 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

"sleepy hollow" is nice. "exorcist: the beginning" and "stigmata" are quite cool too.

i can also recommend "the descent".

• jws
    jws

Saw the first part of Trilogy of Terror with the little doll. This was actually based on a short story by the same author who wrote Legend (aka Last man on Earth, aka The Omega Man, aka I am Legend). I picked up the I am Legend book on a discount rack and since it wasn't that long either, the book included other short stories, including this one. I think it was called Prey.

This is the first time I saw this in video form and I only read the short a couple of years ago. But this story was originally told to me through JW lenses. Back in my youth (probably about the time this movie was out), my JW sister told me this story and as I recall, she told me it as if it happened to her. Maybe not, maybe she said it happened to some other JW. The moral of the story was that demons could inhabit things and we have to be careful not to get anything that may have been associated with the occult. Scared the hell out of me. After that I didn't even want anything to do with anything from a garage sale. Never knew whether a demon went along with that toy.

For all I know, another JW saw the movie and was having some fun with my sister. Or maybe it was spreading as JW urban legend. Too many years ago and I was pretty young.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

SAW

any SAW movie

except the last one LOL can't remember the number, I think it's 5 LOL

• Voices
    Voices

I've tried to get scared ...I can't seem to anymore. Preditor use to give me nightmares after I watched it, but I never got scared watching it.

Personally for me (and maybe a lot of you) the idea of being out of control and enveloped with emotion of despair is important and the 'unknown.' What is exactly on the otherside, without seeing it. For me the score is the KEY ingredient with the element of it 'actually happening' ...so it has to have an element of real life attached.

Again, It's gotta have amazing musical score.

I recommend Matarys ....it only scared me at one part of it...(element of suprize also important) Matarys is one of the most amazing movies i've ever seen. It's just REALLY good at creating a great plot.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original) was also scarey because of the 'real life' possibility.

Most 'Monster' movies don't scare me.

I think the CONCEPT of Nightmare on Elm Street is probably one of the BEST concepts in scarey movies. It has all the elements Suprise, possibility of being real and terrified by Nightmarish demon(s)in your dreams, lack of control over surroundings and self. Great music score...etc... But uh...I was too old to really get scared by it. It's one of those movies to be watched when your like 10 or something. Otherwise it doesn't work as much when your older, for me anyway.

Me

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Baba Yaga, you mentioned "The Devil's Backbone" by Guillermo del Toro. I like that one, but to me his "The Orphanage" is even more haunting. Have you seen it?

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I was never a frequent movie watcher until I was living w/a friend who was. We watched a lot of horror movies together. I wish I could remember

the titles. One that I do remember that was good was:
    Jeepers Creepers
    Another one that was really scary was about this old truck that kept following people and plowing into them. Sorry, can't remember the title.

Juni, Jeepers Creepers scared the heck out of me too; and I don't know if you're talking about Joy Ride (the one with Leelee Sobiski - "Candy Cane") or Duel with Dennis Weaver, either way, both of those were scary. The Ring Candy Man Blair Witch Project The Skeleton Key ("I don't believe") I love a lot of the sci-fi ones too, like, Predator, Aliens, and Terminator.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Oh! And I have to add:

28 Days Later

Resident Evil

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

• watersprout
    watersprout

The first Halloween

Invasion of the body snatchers

Jeepers creepers *shudders* Can't even watch the second one.

Alien watched that with my sister when we were kids and we screamed our brains out!

Tremors! My sister and I watched it really late at night and when it had finished we had to get from the lounge to the stairs without touching the floor, save us from being digested alive by giant mutant worms. It took a while to figure out a plan! Lol

What lies beneath! OMG that was frickin lickin scary! The bath scene I actually laid an egg!

Peace

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I have way too many scary movies that I like. . .anyway. . .

Deliverance - I was young when this movie came out; when the man said "You look like one of them big old hogs boy", I had to ask people what he meant by that and what he was going to do? I got physically ill when they told me what it meant. I wouldn't look at that movie ever again after that.

The Bad Seed - That was one evil little girl!

• watersprout
    watersprout

I started watching Deliverance but when it got to the ''Scream like a pig boy'' I had to turn it off... It has disturbed me and I doubt I will ever get over it! Lol

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit