Got my reply from the UK charities commission...

by oldlightnewshite 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Diest
    Diest

Fake faiths can take you far.

This man got the right to wear religious headware in his drivers licenece picture.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/atheologies/4876/austrian_court_okays_head-colander_in_driver%E2%80%99s_license%3A_is_pastafarianism_becoming_a_religion/

So if he can keep himself safe from the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we can stay safe from the borg with MDA. (Please note that all female MDA members must wear a headscarf when mocking the borg in the presence of male members)

• cantleave
    cantleave

Just a headscarf, I think they should wear a dish cloth!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Has an Brits, Welchmen, or Scots thought about contacting their political representatives about changing the charity and tax laws to prevent cults like the WTBTS from saying that they are bonified religions instead of cults? I am writing my representatives in the USA to do exactly that. ExJWs' time would be better spent writing and lobbying their representatives to make common sense changes to laws instead of complaining that existing laws do not work. ExJWs have a lot more political cloat than JWs, because JWs do not vote and how would JWs feel about the WTBTS making campaigne donations to lawmakers.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• wobble
    wobble

I think that any move needs to be carefully done so that we don't lose credibility. As has been shown, plenty of bogus charities exist in the U.K and the commission has not the will, the teeth, or the resources to do a lot about it.

I suspect the lack of will is the chief thing.

I do believe that a sensible concerted campaign asking the Treasury to consider looking at this matter may work, they could avoid refunding millions in tax.

It would need to be aimed at all charities who do not really operate acording to the Charity Law. The problem is that one of the basic tests of Public benefit is if the charity concerned promotes the "advancement of religion" , JW's will not have much trouble convincing the Tax people of that.

What we would really need is legislation to define what "charity" really is, it may be an idea to try to get the British Humanist Association to speak up on this, they will not be in favour of religious charities whose sole charitable work is the promotion of their own religion.

Ill thought out, badly written, submissions that do not attack in a way that will work will only serve to establish the rights of the WT and others in this on an even firmer basis.

Cedars ? Comments ?

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Bloody religion! I am going to start my own cult. Who wants to join? It will invlve lots partying Joyful worship, over-indulgence Food and drink offerings to the great one in the sky and lots of holidays Holy Days. ..."

Sounds good, Can't Leave!!

But I think I might join Mad Sweeney's movement, instead...

"Mentally Diseased Apostates are accused of starting our own religion and trying to draw others away after ourselves, right?
    LETS GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT!
    Seriously. Register a new faith called the MDA as a religion and charitible organization. If the Unitarian Universalists can be a religion without any specific enforcement of any specific god, then so can the MDA. ..."

Me likeeeee!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

a group of ex-Jovos demonstrated outside parliament complaining about the treatment of disfellowshipped ones.

That I believe is the key to open public awareness and that is reaching into the governments of each specific country.

There has been recent attention to religious faiths/organization who preach hatred and prejudice to people who are not of their

particular faith . There has also been a public reconfirming of a persons own right and freedoms to choose what faith they want to belong to

without expressed prejudice placed upon that person by another religious faith.

For example if a once baptized JWS changes their mind on what faith they want to belong to and decides to move on to another

religion, the religion that was left (JWS) has no right to announce it publicly this is so and this person should be shunned by all

congregates including any family members.

This is an act of social prejudice and hatred and I'm sure against the expressed freedoms of that individual as defined by law.

Notice that most religions do not do this when a person breaks away from a particular faith.

The WTS. has had a history of publicly denouncing other faiths, particular within Christendom, even to go as far as publicly protesting

in front of other churches. Doing so today would bring about severe penalties by the governments on to the WTS. and get quite the

media attention. This is the game the WTS. and its leaders play, join us or be apart of us or we will denounce you, demonise you and shun you.

They aren't able to kill people who go against their faith as they were able to do in ancient times but they do some very terrible things to people

as well break apart families with their actions.

• highdose
    highdose

i would suggest that the more people who kick up a fuss about this, and from the different angles the more likely they will be to take notice.

Especailly if the media takes it up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit