Interesting Thought (standing for the pledge...)

by darthfader 41 Replies latest social humour

• darthfader
  • No Room For George
    No Room For George

Is there really much of a difference between standing with your hand over your heart, or standing with your arm extending foward and slightly towards the sky?

However, we do have to acknowledge that our soldiers are dying, coming home mentally scarred and physically scarred for valid reasons.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

jws could choose to stand or sit for the pledge. I was in grade school through the 50's and early 60's and I chose to stand. I just did not put my hand over my heart and repeat the pledge.

*** w74 1/15 p. 62 Questions From Readers ***Frequently, the practice is for all in attendance at a flag-salute ceremony to stand and personally salute the flag as a pledge of allegiance to this image of the State. In such a situation the mere act of standing likely is not in itself viewed as an act of worship. Therefore, many true Christians have seen no objection to standing respectfully, but not saluting and saying the pledge.

*** w60 2/15 pp. 127-128 Questions From Readers ***It should be noted, however, that there is a difference between standing for the national anthem and school children being required to stand for flag-salute ceremonies. There appears to be no more objection to their standing in such instances than to adults standing when a judge enters his courtroom. The ceremony of the flag salute consists of certain movements of the hands and an oral pledge. While refraining from these, a child can stand out of respect for the flag and the good principles for which it stands and yet not be participating in the flag-salute ceremony.

• carla
    carla

George, your picture of Marines from 1945 Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima is disgraceful and offensive in my opinion.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i love that mcdonalds picture.

so that soldier went to war and lost his leg for the right to stand up for a pledge? doesn't make sense to me...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

George, your picture of Marines from 1945 Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima is disgraceful and offensive in my opinion.

I would agree, but only because it detracts from the actual sacrifice that was made to secure Iwo Jima and could offend those who made the sacrificed or lost a loved one who did so.

If the picture was simply a ficitional event, without any link to human tragedy, I think it typifies the real facts of war or military engagement in today's world. It is seldom for "truth, justice, and the American Way" (oh, I think that was Superman), I mean "freedom, democracy, and national defense" as it is the defense of the American Dollar and profiteering of Big Business. I suspect that was your point, George.

DOC

• d
    d

I think standing for the pledge is too cultish. Why should a child stand for a pledge if they do not even know what they are doing.Reciting the plege is just another form of indocrination.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Good points all!

I never really understood the pledge as a requirement for kids. I think it would be so much better to teach them about the freedoms we all have and the price paid for it (as appropriate for grade level).

Simply reciting the pledge does not make for a good understanding of the concepts.

The interesting point is that I saw myself having to sit for the pledge and national anthem because of our overzealous elders and the other JW kids in the class.

cheers all!

• james_woods
    james_woods

+1000. Not only offensive, but also off topic. Back on the subject, I never understood the logic of letting witness kids stand for the flag salute when at the same time, they could NOT stand for the national anthem at a sports event.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit