My sisters’ funeral service was just appalling. An absolute disgrace.

by still wondering 37 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mrquik
    mrquik

I attended a service a few months ago & of course was "invisible". I couldn't care less. The talk ended with the hope of everlasting life. Somehow this seemed a tad out of place at a funeral talk, but no one seemed to notice the irony but me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I don`t go to JW Funerals..They are disgusting..

I`ll go to the Wake afterwards but never the Funeral..

.........................OUTLAW

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILL WONDERING: It is sickening to see that JWs use a funeral as an infomercial for their religion and also as an opportunity to exercise their shunning routine towards the disfellowshipped relatives of the deceased. So tacky. I know what you mean about the hypocrisy when it comes to earning a living. The poverty they are pushing isn't for them, just some other sucker. I have no use for this religion.

• Poztate
    Poztate

This is the outline from 2008..It is still all about THEM

They do everything but offer a "free" home book study at the end.

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God’s purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)
    Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited death (Rom. 5:12)
    Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek. 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurrection hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ’s resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    “Other sheep” resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah’s name (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will (1 Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Opening with prayer is optional. Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this
    outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect.
    Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose
    of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the
    bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 111 is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When
    arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom,
    reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57. This service may also
    be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk
    need not exceed 30 minutes.)
    Funeral Discourse
    S-32-E 2/11
    ? 2008Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania All Rights Reserved

• Quendi
    Quendi

First let me extend my sympathies for your loss, still wondering. I know you will miss your sister. I am sorry that the funeral/memorial service offered nothing in the way of comfort to you, but it is not surprising considering the source. I think the idea of having an alternate service or gathering for her is a good one. I have decided that I will not attend another Witness funeral or memorial service either. I don't want to endure the empty words and the lack of effort to comfort the mourning ones. I will offer my condolences in private and hope to provide some comfort and assitance that way.

Quendi

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don`t go to JW Funerals..They are disgusting..

I`ll go to the Wake afterwards but never the Funeral..

.........................OUTLAW

I have come to the same decision as OUTLAW.

It is simply not worth the mental stress to listen to the JW drivel.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Wow, they dont even beat around the bush, the outline clearly states:

"Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this
    outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth."

WOW

• still wondering
    still wondering

Poztate

The talk given bore no resemblance to your 2008 outline. It lasted about 20 minutes and quoted just one scripture. Almost the entire talk was about her "exemplary" life and the years she spent in one place after another slaving for the WTS.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Absolutely horrible. No respect to the deceased at all. When I die, I don't care what you do with my body. Burn it up, bury it, dump it in a river. Just please don't use my funeral as a freaking sales pitch to sell magazines. That would be the ultimate disrespect.

• still wondering
    still wondering

Many thanks to everyone for all your kind comments, suggestions and understanding.

They are very much appreciated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit