Why do we care?

by fade_away 24 Replies latest jw friends

• fade_away
    fade_away

Ok this thread might get my ass kicked by some of you in here, but don't take it the wrong way...I'm just curious, why do we care so much about the WT calling us "mentally diseased"? I mean haven't we said far worse things about the WT and GB in this forum? (I include myself)...I know many of us got all bent out of shape because of those two words they used on us and some of us are trying to get the law on our side, but if we could file lawsuits against them, then I'm sure they can just as easily get their money back by accusing us of "hate speech" and having this website shut down. All our hate speech is posted on here, it's just a matter of printing them out and showing them to the judge and the lawyers. Here in the US though, it might be hard for either side to cause an uproar about anything being said or written because of that whole "freedom of speech and religion" thing. Are we really trying to put up a fight with a tyrant that owns dozens of lawyers for something we all do in here?

• JRK
    JRK

First amendment rights rule in the US. The Westboro Baptist Church is a prime example, if they can't get busted for hate speech, no one can.

JK

• stillin
    stillin

the fact is that some ex-JW's ARE off-balance. As usual, though, the WTS paints with too large a brush.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

I see a HUGE difference between what we do and what they do. Their intent is to judge us as worthy of everlasting destruction and then preach that to our families. They demand that our loved ones hate us. They condemn us to spiritual death and if they could, literal death. This is also a violation of our religious freedom. I have not found anyone on here doing that to them, have you? If so, I would think it is a minority. However, the majority of us still love our JW families and would never condemn them to death.

It is one thing to call someone a bad name. It is another to incite others to wish a person dead or judge them worthy of death.

They also violate Jesus words here:

In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Christ warned his followers: “I say to you that everyone who continues wrathful with his brother will be accountable to the court of justice; but whoever addresses his brother with an unspeakable word of contempt will be accountable to the Supreme Court; whereas whoever says, ‘You despicable fool!’ will be liable to the fiery Gehenna.”— Matthew 5:22 .

How do they violate Jesus words at Matthew 5:22? The Watchtower itself explains this in 2006, 2/15 “Questions From Readers” article asks this: What three dangers was Jesus warning against at Matthew 5:22 ?

"What, then, did the expression “despicable fool” signify? The word used here sounded similar to a Hebrew term that means “rebellious,” or “mutinous.” It designates a person as morally worthless, an apostate and a rebel against God. So the person addressing his fellow as a “despicable fool” is as much as saying that his brother should receive a punishment fit for a rebel against God, everlasting destruction. From God’s standpoint, the one uttering such a condemnation against another could merit that severe sentence—everlasting destruction—himself.— Deuteronomy 19:17-19 ."

So you see, calling someone an "apostate" is the same as calling them a "rebel" or "despicable fool" that is worthy of everlasting destruction/death. The Watchtower judges us this way. The majority here on this forum do not do that to their JW families. Can you see the difference now? I hope you can.

Your brother in Christ,

Greybeard

• stillin
    stillin

you're right, greybeard. Wishing death on anybody is extreme, and I can't say I have ever heard any apostates doing that against JW's. But there is definitely some warped thinking her, the same as in any group of people, I guess.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

The only person who has the right to attatch a term to me that includes the word "Mental..." in it is my own doctor.

• fade_away
    fade_away

Yeah greybeard has a point, and it makes sense to an ex-jw. But I'm not sure the law will be able to see it that way. I could be wrong though.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If individuals want to rant and use a bit of "hate" in an obscure web forum or blog, that is not a big deal. It's not perfect, but it's not a big deal. If individuals want to proclaim their hate of apostates or cult members, it is their choice. It ain't perfect, but it's their choice.

When a publishing company wants to tell 6 or 7 million people how to feel about former members, it is a big deal. If 6 or 7 million people were told that homosexuals or Jews are "mentally diseased", the whole world might suddenly take notice.

• designs
    designs

Hate speech the way the Society is using it affects families that have some JWs in and XJWs out. That is undue infringement and Human Rights Courts have an obligation to publicly denounce such written positions. It informs the Public like putting a Warning label on a pack of cigarettes.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

@ designs

That's a great idea! If only the governments would make all religious publishing companies print warning labels! They demand it on almost everything else don't they? Movies, books, food etc... I'm sure it will never happen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit