A Woman, A Woman - Oh What Can She Be?

by LoneWolf 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, Peeplezs,

Down over the years I have experienced plenty of discouragement and cynicism about faith and the existence of a God who cares for us. If I allowed myself to dwell on those things alone, I suppose that I too would be feeling hopeless and cynical and would be just waiting until my time is up.

However, I don't feel that way at all. I'd like to tell you just one of the reasons why. You probably get emails like I do showing the wonders of the natural world, but I feel that I have seen such beauty in nature that I can't bring myself to doubt that there is a Creator that loves us. What most people forget is that we are part of that nature too.

To that end, I would like to recount something that I became aware of some years ago, but only lately learned the details behind. It left me with my mouth hanging open in astonishment and is in my mind, a candidate for the record book. Moreover, and even more astonishing, it happened right here in my own family.

A little background first, though. We married very young. I was 20, and she was 15. One of my primary goals when I married this little freckle-faced girl was to do all I knew how to be sure that she could find joy and happiness in her role of wife and mother. I wanted her to be glad she was a woman (especially my woman) and found fulfillment in her role in life. Needless to say, that is not something that a man can force on a woman, and for it to happen he has to control the environment in such a way that those qualities can grow on their own. I compared it to planting a garden. All one can do is plant the seeds, cultivate them, water them, make sure the ground has the nutrients needed, and the proper amount of sunlight is available. God will do the rest.

She blossomed far beyond anything that I expected, and I was enthralled with the results. Everyone that knows her loves her. We will be celebrating our 51 st wedding anniversary next month and look forward to many more.

We soon had five daughters who had the potential of becoming the same thing she was. The way that women have been reduced to second class citizens and taken advantage of down over the years has always grieved me. Therefore I tried my best to give them not only the knowledge of what they were, but a respect and appreciation for how they were created. That meant giving them a knowledge and understanding of the entire process.

They understood the monthly menses and their purpose just as soon as they were old enough to comprehend, and in fact, I still laugh about one occurrence that happened when the oldest were only two and three years old. They came in the house one hot summer afternoon in Southern California and ran up to the arm of the recliner where I was sipping a glass of ice water and reading the newspaper, while trying to cool down after a hot day's work. "Daddy, will you tell us about the birds and the bees?"

Startled, for I was wondering where they had heard the term, I picked them up, sat them in my lap, and gave them a general run-down on where they came from. They were fascinated and had many questions, but after a time they became satisfied and ran back out to play.

A week later, in exactly the same setting, they ran in again. "Daddy, will you tell us about the birds and the bees?"

I did a double take. "I did!" I exclaimed.

"No, Daddy. You told us about people. We want to know about the birds and the bees!"

I figured the best way for them to find joy and fulfillment in how they were created would be to show them the beauty and wonder there is in nature, and then help them to realize that they too were a part of that same nature. I think it worked. One big way it helped is that there are very few subjects that we can't speak about in an open and honest manner, even today.

Our fourth daughter Jeanne (Pony's wife) seemed to take this to heart as much or more as the others. She has always loved nature in all of its manifestations, so much so that her Grandfather had a fit when he caught her hand-feeding wild skunks in his basement! LOL!! She would just glow whenever I called her "My Little Wood Nymph".

Marrying an Apache Indian seemed a perfect fit, and she took to the culture like a duck to water. I went to one Powwow where Pony was teaching the newcomers about many of the Indian customs and ways of doing things. He turned to Jeanne and asked her to demonstrate how to make fire without matches. She cheerfully agreed and reached for her fire making equipment (a straight rod and the bow and string to spin it with, plus the tinder for the spark to land in) and knelt down in front of everyone so that they could see. There must have been 50 people there, all craning their necks in fascination.

What she hadn't counted on were her kids (3 at the time) who were 2, 3, and 7 years old. They knew exactly what she was going to do, and they were going to help! Their unbridled enthusiasm and the resulting chaos were simply hilarious! I think she could have done it in 30 seconds, but with all their "help" it took about 5 minutes, even with Pony grabbing the youngest at about the 4 minute mark. We all had belly aches and tears running down our cheeks from laughing so hard!

I recount this, as it will throw some light on the mindset behind this tale. I'll let their oldest son, Sol, tell it. He was 2 at the time and remembers it well. In fact, the following is the report he wrote this last school year. He is 10 now.

My "Deer" Brother

My name is Sol and I have a very special relationship with the deer. How is this so you may ask? Well it all started on June of 2002. [I was only two years old]. Me and my mom were on a hike when we noticed a strange lump on the ground, why it was a baby deer! My mom carefully picked it up. When she held it in her arms it was smaller than a loaf of bread.

After we brought it home we offered it some water, but it would not drink. Then my mom went out of the room to make some calls. When she came back we went to the store and bought a bottle and some kitten formula. My mom tried to feed it but it still would not eat. My mom then called some more people to see if they would help. After no luck we put the deer in the garden to see if it would eat the plants in it.

It still would not stand, it just curled up in the corner and stayed there for a long time. It broke are heart to see such a cute little child so weak. Me and my mom were in the garden watching it when I wanted to nurse. My mom lifted up her shirt and I clutched on to her breast. The deer suddenly sprang to life. It started to run towards us and then it started to head butt me and scratch me with its hooves.

Without thinking twice my mom lifted up the other side of her shirt and before I could start crying the deer latched on. Now, because I have nursed with the deer, I am his brother. This to me is a very special privilege and I am very proud of it.

Sol Howell-Gilbert, age 10

It was through Sol's report that I learned some of the details. What surprised me so much was that the fawn would recognize her as a source of food and would be willing to fight for it. Therefore, when the family came over a few days later, I asked Jeanne about some of the details.

For instance, did the fawn really react so quickly? Her eyes got big. "Yes!" It was so fast that I couldn't react quickly enough to stop it!" Part of that was because she was frozen in surprise for a second or two, but was immediately galvanized into action due to the need to protect Sol. Even then, she was stunned at what was happening, and could only react by instinct. "Wait!" She cried out. "I have two of them!" She quickly lifted the other side of her shirt. The fawn took it without hesitation.

"But didn't it hurt?" I asked.

A tender look crossed her face and her eyes got soft. "No. Its sucking was strong, yes, but it was about the same as a baby. It didn't even try to bite." She hesitated, then continued, "The only thing that was uncomfortable was that while it was definitely hungry and wanted food, it was still scared of me. Therefore after it latched on, it would back off as far as it could get without losing its grip. That stretched my breast out a little too much. I put my left arm around it and pulled it closer so that it wouldn't be uncomfortable."

She was silent for a few seconds, smiling at the memory, then continued. "I was sitting with my back to the fence while this was happening and I couldn't move. I remember hoping that someone would look over it and see what was going on, so that I would have a witness to the fact that this actually happened."

A lady from Wild Animal Rescue showed up a few hours later. She was really concerned because many people who find fawns try to feed them, and as many times as not they feed them something that makes them sick or worse, so she carefully questioned Jeanne about that. At first, Jeanne was a little embarrassed about telling her, but when it came out, the lady was thrilled and excited.

Who would have ever imagined that a fawn would react so instantly and emphatically to the sight of a human mother nursing her child? It simply blew my mind, but it raised a couple of huge questions too. How little we know. The scripture at Isaiah 11:6-9 is beautiful, but it's like an impossible dream that could never occur:

"And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together, and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra, and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea."

But, we see things like what happened above, and look at the startling harmony that can exist between species as is passed around in emails, and view videos that would be laughable if they weren't recorded for us to see, like these three:

a. Last week there was an article on a man in the far north who lives with, plays with and even wrestles wolverines. They are his pets.

b. The man in Venezuela (as I remember) who found a young injured crocodile and nursed it back to health, and it has been his pet ever since. It is now huge, yet he swims, wrestles, and rides on its back in the river where it lives. He even sticks his head in its mouth.

c. The young boy of about 10 in Burma, whose pet snake is a python about 20 ft. long. It runs loose in the house and is so huge that the boy will lie down on its back and ride around on it.

And we wonder - is that scripture really all that far-fetched?

In turn, that raises a second question. How much have the rest of the living things here on the earth suffered because Satan decided to deprive us of the knowledge of how to obey the original commandment: "Further, God blessed them and God said to them: 'Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.'" (Genesis 1:28)?

I would suspect that last sentence in Isaiah 11:9 has special meaning for them.

I have seen many things like this, so the real question is how could I NOT believe in and love a God who would create such beautiful things? I am grateful beyond words just for the privilege to live on the same planet with these exquisite creatures, and women lead that list.

Tom

• N.drew
    N.drew

A very lovely account. Thank you and God bless you all!

Nancy

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Lonewolf. I share your love of nature but its a mistake to view the world through rose coloured glasses. The most cursory inspection of the animal kingdom reveals carnage on a grand scale; insects eating their mates, others eating their young, sharks ripping their prey to shreds, and parasites sucking the lifeblood from their hosts. It is not just the behavior of creatures that jars with images of “paradise” it’s their very construction. The fast-twitch muscle fiber of a big cat, the eyes of an eagle, the teeth of a crocodile the fangs of a snake, animals are amazingly well equipped killing machines. Here are a few of my favourite examples.

“Siblingside”
    Great Egrets often have enough food for only two chicks, although a mother egret typically bears three. By sometimes allowing their older children to kill the youngest, the parents guarantee that they raise two well-fed, strong chicks who have an excellent chance to mature and reproduce. The two oldest egret chicks are destined for success even before birth. Douglas Mock and colleague Hubert Schwabl recently discovered that the first egg to form inside the mother egret always gets the highest dose of the hormones, or chemical messengers, that trigger aggressive behaviour. The second egg in line gets the same dose. But egg number three gets only about half the amount. With less tendency to be aggressive, the youngest chick is less able to defend itself against its more aggressive siblings.

Similarly a female sand tiger shark produces 400 to 500 embryos at a time. While still in the womb, these embryo sharks grow razor-sharp teeth, the embryonic sharks start to eat other embryos. Within a few months, three to four dominant sharks engage in a life-or-death struggle until only one survives. By the time it is born, the sole-surviving shark pup has become an experienced predator. Amazing film taken inside the womb recently appeared on UK television clearly demonstrating this behaviour.

Parasitic Behaviour
    An amazing percentage of life on earth is parasitic. Some parasites do not just feed from their hosts the actually invade their brain and effect their behaviour to the parasites advantage. Dr. Manfred E. Rau of McGill University in Montreal, recently found that two types of closely related parasitic worms can dramatically influence the behaviour of mice to suit their own needs. One worm will prompt the mouse to become hyperactive, scampering through fields so frenetically that it attracts the attention of a predatory bird that will eat the mouse and the worm with it. When the bird eats the mouse, it provides the necessary next home for the parasitic larvae. By contrast, the related worm species will cause a mouse to become sluggish, heightening the chance it will be easily stalked down by the carnivorous mammals this worm prefers for its second shelter.

Other parasitic larvae have been found to drive host snails mad, forcing the creatures to make a suicidal ascent to the top of a blade of grass, rather than hiding underneath the foliage. At the same time, a few of the invading larvae migrate to the snail's antennae, turn bright colours and pulsate, transforming the hapless gastropod's feelers into a reasonable facsimile of a caterpillar. That resemblance catches the attention of birds, which then consume the infested snails. Once in the guts of the birds, the larval worms can mature and reproduce.

The ichneumon wasp has developed a particularly gruesome method of providing food for it’s young. Among ectoparasites, many females lay their eggs directly upon the host's body. Since an active host would easily dislodge the egg, the ichneumon mother often simultaneously injects a toxin that paralyses the caterpillar or other victim. The paralyses may be permanent, and the caterpillar lies, alive but immobile, with the agent of its future destruction secure on its belly. The egg hatches, the helpless caterpillar twitches, the wasp larvae pierces and begins its grisly feast. Since a dead and decaying caterpillar will do the wasp larvae no good, the ichneumon larvae eat fat bodies and digestive organs first, keeping the caterpillar alive by preserving intact the essential heart and central nervous system. Finally, the larvae completes its work and kills its victim, leaving behind the caterpillar's empty shell.

Predation The ability of bats to use echo location to find and catch their food is well known, however a scientist has recently discovered a species of moth that has evolved the ability to jam the bats signals and evade being caught. Aaron Corcoran, a graduate student at Wake Forest University, was intrigued by a species of moth that also makes ultrasonic sounds. He wondered if this was some kind of bat deterrent. The moth, a 1- to 2-inch-long orange species called Bertholdia trigona, has organs on its body called "tymbals." A tymbal works like a pop can," Corcaran says. "If you push in on the side of a pop can, it will make a click, and when it releases out it makes another click. We've measured up to 450 clicks in a tenth of a second. That's a tremendous amount of sound that this moth is making."

Corcoran removed the tymbals from some of these moths and then tethered the insects with fishing line, so they could fly, but not far. He brought in a bat and filmed what happened. The moths who had their tymbals removed were caught easily by the bat but it could not capture the others. As soon as the moth's rattle-like sound started, the bat got confused and missed the moth. This kept happening, over and over, until the bat gave up and crawled back to its cage.

Nature is "red in tooth and claw".

"Predators seem beautifully "designed to catch prey animals, while the prey animals seem equally beautifully designed to escape them. Who's side is god on?" - Jerry Coyne

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Nice post Tom, I love animals too.

• talesin
    talesin

Animals are people, too. :))

(yes, cofty, people are animals. we are brutal and vicious as well. agreed)

LW, that was beautifully told ... thanks. Sol has his grandfather's gift of storytelling.

And congrats on 51 years of bliss. :D

tal

• clarity
    clarity

Hmmm ... this story doesn't give me a good feeling.

>

Did a ten year old boy really write this adult sounding story, in 'first person' ... he was only two years old when it happened!

>

Your wife must have quite a large lap to be able to "nurse" a two year old and a deer at the same time ... puleeze. Since when would a deer, baby or otherwise, not just wildly struggle and strike out with it's hooves?

>

A deer and human breasts are not a match, by any stretch of the imagination! The tone of the whole thing just gives me the willies!

>

Sorry, I was a fan on your first post, but swallowed one too many strange stories from the watchtower society to ever want be gullible again!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hahahahahahooooohooooheheeheeheeeheeehahaha- wheeze- wheeze - hohohohehe.

Sometimes a lol isn't enough. Breast feeding a deer.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

wonderful experiences lonewolf - thanks for letting us in on your family.

animals and humans can have a close reciprocal relationship that is often reflected in the non "civilised" world. This sort of reciprocity and symbiosis can seem shocking and alien when told from a particular point of view (as in cofty's article) but taken side by side with your description of nature we can take in both viewpoints and be filled with awe.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Whew, I'm glad to hear that women lead the list of exquisite creatures. I had some concern I would be outranked by the wolverines and pythons.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

lol at leo

according to myth there was a time, in the hazy distant past, when women called the shots and because they were all things earthly they scared the bejesus out of guys. Guys found new impetus by taking to the skies, raining down thunder and lightening - women took refuge in the earth and nothing was heard from them for a while

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit