A question for current/former elders

by Mickey mouse 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

When you had to deal judicially with cases of apostasy, did it ever pique yout curiousity? Did anyone ever tell you about something they had learned that shocked you and made you investigate for yourself?

• cedars
    cedars

I never had to deal with an apostasy case myself. I'm sure it would have peaked my curiosity though, because I had suppressed doubts myself.

• designs
    designs

Mickey,

Yes, particularly in the 1980's thru 1995 when we saw quite a few DF's for Apostacy and 'speaking against the organization'. What can I say, eventually I was on the other side of that kind of Meeting myself.

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

Interesting...
    Three times it came up during my service.
    One I discussed in another thread here in a post from earlier today: the young woman was telling me things I already heard...1975, shunning, deep investigation of the Trinity, etc. I had already allowed myself to be conditioned to 'yea, yea, right' those things right out of my mind. Poor thinking.
    The second time, it was a close friend...and it shocked me. I dismissed myself from any possibility of participating in that case. I was disturbed. This was an early tremor in my awakening.
    The last time, it was brought up by a brother questioning the very reckless translating of the NWT, as well as some other information...which again included 1975 and shunning. Only this time, I was mentally out. What's funny is that it caused me to retreat very far from that situation and to make sure I had no hand in following up on that matter as well. It hit too close...and I was trying to protect my secret.

But LOTS of elders are awake.
    Seriously. They are tired and scared...and very sad about their lives. Very sad.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Of the situations I ever heard that involved apostacy, two elders started their own churches, the other was arrested and alleged to have molested children. Since such cases are difficult to prove (2 witnesses and all), that was difficult to pursue, however there were plenty of folks he had spoken to about his views which were contrary to the bOrg including reading Ray Franz' books. JC took the easy way out and used the apostasy card. Have to admit, at least they didn't let a child abuser stay in among the R&F to possibly harm other kids.

DOC

• Violia
    Violia

I know several such elders now who are tired and scared. I feel for them b/c they just take their marching orders from the WTS.

Following commands from higher ups is not a legal excuse , however.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I was on many Judicial Committees in my almost 20 years as an elder, but never one for apostasy. Most were for drug use or sexual matters.

15 years or so ago, I did have a fellow elder that resigned and would never say exactly why? I always figured it was one of two things, he had an affair and wouldn't confess but still didn't want to continue as a hypocrite or that he had lost faith in the WTBTS. I never did find out what was up with him!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

But LOTS of elders are awake.

By "awake" do you mean that they intuitively know the Borg doesn't have a clue? Or do you mean they know most of the same things those of us who have researched "apostate" information know?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Never had to deal with a JC over apostasy... But was privy to a letter of DA who expressed much of what I feel now...

• looloo
    looloo

what issues with shunning did people have apart from the obvious ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit