A question for current/former elders

by Mickey mouse 16 Replies latest jw friends

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

In my 15 years of service I never handled any case of apostasy. Most cases were regarding sex, smoking or fraud. Although I have been poking around websites like this since 2003.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Never had to deal with apostasy case. For over 20 years it was sex-murder cases. Back in the late 70's when I was a MS we had a elder and MS and their families get DF for apostasy. That really caused a stir. Totally ADD

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I never did handle a case. Of course I read some of what was available as apostate literature back in the 80's. I thought I'd dealt with the arguments.

But apostasy cases are difficult to prosecute, so instead it's converted into cases of aselgia - gross lack of respect for theocratic order.

Pressure is brought to bear, information is leaked, and the hive mentality of the congregation will then isolate the individual. After they are weakened in this way, they sometimes break down emotionally and commit some other form of prosecutorial misconduct.

It's very rarely needed to prosecute for apostasy.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting, although this is hardly a scientific survey, the post here indicate that the majority of judicial cases were NOT involving apostasy.

And yet the WT makes out like it is one of the more prevalent issues. Curious ...

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I believe there are a couple of reasons behind the unwillingness to prosecute for apostasy.

1. It's difficult to prove with he-said, she-said. If the individual doesn't cooperate by self-condemnation, you have to prove that they have deflected mentally and spiritually. That's tough.

2. Letting them be labeled as having been disfellowshipped for apostasy draws attention to their reasons for leaving. Apostasy is also what everyone who became one of Jehovah's Witnesses from some other religion became, so it's a bit hard for the pot to call the kettle black.

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

Generally speaking you have to be openly broadcasting your disagreement with the teachings of the WT to be charged with apostasy. If you gon TV or to any other media you will be charged. And even then there is a lot of crossing of the T's and dotting of the I's before disfellowshipping takes places.

They would much rather you get frustrated and disassociate yourself. Much less paperwork and effort.

• agent zero
    agent zero

Excellent question! i've often imagined my own JC in which i would bring up all my issues with the organization, and i wonder if they would be more interested in getting a confession of apostacy from me so they could DF me, or in discussing and examining the points that put into question their religion. i'm pretty sure i know the answer, but it sure puts into question the sincerity of the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit