"You don't even exist."

by snakeface 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snakeface
    snakeface

Recently I remembered another example which shows how hateful and unChrist-like the witnesses are brainwashed into being.

A long time ago, when I was a pioneer, I was hanging out with a group of long-time pioneers after the district convention, in the stadium hallway. Some had been pioneering for more than 10 years and therefore were considered to be spiritually mature. A woman who appeared to be a sister was walking by; she paused and greeted us and said something like, "What a great program that was." I did not know her, but the others did and knew she was disfellowshipped. I personally would have said, "Yes, it sure was," and continued on my way. But they said to each other things like, "Did you hear something?" and "No, you couldn't have because there is no one there." and "I did NOT hear something -" and turning to the woman - "because I do not even know you. I don't know you at all. In fact, you don't even exist." The woman stood emotionless, then continued on her way. The pioneers explained to me that she was disfellowshipped, and that she obviously is not accepting her discipline if she's going around trying to talk to people.

Later we met up with other pioneers, and of course this group started telling the other group, "So-and-so is here, she even tried to talk to us..." the other group said yes they saw her too, she is in the process of being reinstated. The first group was saying things like, "She's not ready to be reinstated if she is not accepting Jehovah's discipline..." I tried to explain to them that the program is, we do not share spiritual things with disfellowshipped persons nor invite them to gatherings. Other than that they are still human beings. For example, if one says, "Good morning," it is proper - and Christlike - to respond "Good Morning". If they come to the hall it is proper to hold the door for them, help them find a seat, and treat them like any other visitor (even though they are not a potential Bible study).

I myself have at least been civil to disfellowshipped persons. After all, if they're at the hall or at an assembly that should tell you something right there. It's not like they are still "out in the world" committing gross sins unrepentantly. They know they're disfellowshipped, and there's no need to remind them or look down upon them. I always thought, "There but for the grace of God go I." Or as Jesus said, the one who has not sinned may throw the first stone.

A couple of years later, while walking thru the hall at a convention site, I came across a pioneer sister (from another congregation) whom I had not seen in about a year. I started talking to her, but she suddenly started trembling and crying, and her face turned red. She said to me, "I'm sorry, but I haven't been reinstated yet." She realized that I did not know she was disfellowshipped, and now she was forced to shamefully tell me she was. I felt compassion for her. I responded with something like, "It's good to see you here. I always appreciated your comments, and admired the kind things you did for people in the congregation. Keep coming back. And may Jehovah bless you." Then I continued on my way.

Question to governing body: which approach is more likely to get the "lost sheep" to return to the fold - and stay?

(Hint: read The Greatest Man book.)

ha ha

• White Dove
    White Dove

Snake,

That was a very good thing you did and a horrible one the other sisters did.

That is what became apparent just before I left.

There is no love there.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well that was a pretty brutal story. Sounds like that little group of pioneers used the df process as an excuse to act like mean girls. It's funny they bother even pretending they were acting like little bitches for Jehovah---reminds me of the movie SAVED.

NC

• lola-rabbit
    lola-rabbit

I had a very simular experiance with a long time friend of mine who was disfellowhiped, she was not going to meetings and had a judicial case against two elders for molesting her when she was a child, nothing was being done and she refused to enter a kingdom hall. She was very mad and bitter and with every right.

One day I bumpped in to her in the market, and my joy was so great I just walked up to her and hugged her, said "you are greatly missed, take care of yourself", and walked away... she cryed, and was in shocked that I had done this. One year later, I found out from a friend that she had been sick for several months and had died of cancer (age 34, leaving 2 kids behind).

If I would have turned my back on her that day in the market, today I would not be able to live with myself, I'm happy I was able to give her a last good bye. I was so ANGRY, and SICK of discust at her funeral, all the brothers there talking wonderful, great things about her, when while she was alive nobody cared, helped or aknowledged her. My anger GREW... when that same week she died, they anounced in meeting that "right before passing on her death bed, she had repented and had been reinstated"!!!! A little to late, dont you think ELDERS!!

• snakeface
    snakeface

NewChapter, that's funny: "little bitches for Jehovah..." A new religion, the JB's... Jehovah's Bitches. ha ha Men can be appointed MS's and women can be appointed JB's.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Love it ... "little bitches for Jehovah" ... and YES YES YES some use the excuse of DF'g to feel superior, self-righteous, and get back at others.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I tried to explain to them that the program is, we do not share spiritual things with disfellowshipped persons nor invite them to gatherings. Other than that they are still human beings. For example, if one says, "Good morning," it is proper - and Christlike - to respond "Good Morning". If they come to the hall it is proper to hold the door for them, help them find a seat, and treat them like any other visitor

I agree you did the right thing too.

I have 1 question though--the bit I quoted above does not jive with the literature on "not even saying a greeting" to a df person. ?? Maybe this is an example of a different local teaching?

We used to give a df mother and her kids rides to the book study. The kids had to call us to ask us for the rides. The mom went too but we could not speak to her even though she was in our car.

Then someone came out with New Light TM that df people could only attend the book studies held in the kh, not in people's homes. The reason--because it is customary to greet people entering your home, and the df person would be putting the home owner in an awkward position of having to choose between obeying jehoopla and being polite.

AS IF shunning is sooo polite in all other contexts.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

There's something you've got to remember in cases like these.

You are expected to be sad, devastated, and suicidal, as that verifies their idea of your being cursed by Jehovah and under Satan's influence. This is good news to them and strengthens their resolve. If you do NOT act like this, it contradicts their expectations. This makes them uneasy as it raises the question in their subconsciousness that perhaps they've made a miscalculation somewhere. Ergo: they get mad.

Don't ever forget that they are using a form of psychological warfare here, and it's only right and fair that we return it with interest. For instance, a little while back one VERY highly placed elder asked me with contempt dripping in his voice: "Tom, when are you going to return to Jehovah?"

I let out a peal of laughter and shot back: "Why, Ernie! I never left!" He had to go home and change his pants.

So remember something. The greater the relief and happiness you show at being out, the more powerful is the witness to them that they are in the wrong. Don't be bashful in this regard, and don't show them any more mercy than they show you.

I've often wondered about the passage at 1 Cor. 7:15. Yes, it primarily applies to being married to someone who is an unbeliever, but that phrase, ". . . . but God has called you to peace" quite well sums up my experience. It wasn't because now I had the "freedom" to screw everything on the planet, but it stemmed from the freedom I now had to think for myself. I realized that I had learned some good things while in and that I now had the freedom to examine them and winnow out the good stuff and throw the crap away. The Watchtower doesn't own truth because it is only a channel, and a mighty imperfect one at that.

Therefore, there's no need to throw it all away. Rather, we can take the good stuff and build further on it. When we do that using the freedom we've just gained, it becomes a thrilling adventure and our relief and happiness at being out will be genuine.

What's even better is that we will be confounding their expectations of our "returning to our own vomit" (2 Peter 2:22) that they so gleefully expect us to do.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sounds like that little group of pioneers used the df process as an excuse to act like mean girls. It's funny they bother even pretending they were acting like little bitches for Jehovah

We're sa-a-ved and you're no-o-ot. Na-nana-nana!

Super righteous hypocrites.

DOC

• flipper
    flipper

Those pioneers that acted that way towards that poor DFed woman should have been zapped with a freaking lightning bolt from the sky. To crush another person's spirit like that showed how UN - spiritual and idiotic they were ; if it showed anything. The bar for what the WT society claims is considered " spiritual " is very low indeed. I admire you for the support and love you showed to the woman. Good for you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit