Is there really any difference between disfellowshipping and disassociation?

by iamwhoiam 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

You would think being disfellowshipped is like being fired from a job and being dissassociated is like quitting a job...is this the correct understanding?

As much as i have been searching for the answer to this question in the later articles, i can't really find a concrete answer. But being an MS and raised in "the truth", I was always brought up to feel like if someone disassociates themself, they are automatically labeled an apostate. They chose the wicked ways of the world over Jehovah. If i disassociate myself, will my diehard "truthfollowing" family shun me? If they ask why I quit, can I simply keep my mouth shut on the subject and not be shunned?

Thoughts?

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

This was brought up in Crisis of Conscience. Very interesting point when Franz had his JC meeting. They told him that it was wrong of him to be in contact with a dissassociated person. Franz being the mastermind he was, asked them to show it from the bible. They shown the usual scriptures about not eating with fornicators and adultorers, etc. Franz then said, well since so and so isnt any of the above, merely choosing no longer to be a part of this organisation anymore, scripturaly there is nothing wrong with what im doing.

Interesting point isnt it? I suppose there are scriptures which vaguely speak about those who no longer want anything to do with Jesus, etc, but the JW slant on it is a little OTT if you ask me. I therefore think that the difference in the two is huge. But to the JWs there isnt a difference... the idea is to simply get all those who are going to be a negative (although id rather say positive) influence, whether physicaly, mentaly, emotionaly or spiritualy and get rid of them as soon as possible! Sick!

Timmy xxx

• Awen
    Awen

The difference seems to be that if the Brothers throw you out you're disfellowshipped. If you throw yourself out, you're disassociated. Either way in JW eyes you're unfit to be around and can possibly be shunned. You're choosing in both instances to to be recognized any longer as a JW (although the DFed isn't really a choice if it's done against your will).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is no difference once the announcement has been made. In fact , they use the same announcement these days ...."Iamwhoiam is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses"

That is it . Your Bros do not know, and may not care, whether you just sent a note of d/a...were caught smoking a cigarette, committed adultery or could even be a mass murderer. It is all the same to them. You are to be shunned, ignored and not spoken to until the congo may reinstate you.

The only differences are beforehand, if you decide to be d/a'd they just make the announcement. If they d/f you it is after a judicial procedure ( unless it is for accepting blood or being non neutral, then you are just announced - out)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

For all intents and purposes it's exactly the same abusive misuse of authority to coerce, control and intimidate.

What ever you call it, it stinks!

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

So basicly, I am either for or against the organization? If I leave, i'm a "dog who returns to his own vomit"? I told my parents 5 years ago that i didnt agree with the org anymore..that it no longer makes sense to me. But then they go into the "we have to try and fix him mode." After that didn't work and I easily shot them down by turning thier own words against them, they drew the last straw and said "you know if you leave, we can't associate with you anymore." It was the worst thing I ever heard. I felt abandoned and hurt..as if I was being blackmailed by my own parents. They are choosing belief over family. They assured me it was because I wasn't staying busy enough in the org. Long story short... 2 years later i was appointed servant and am still one; I put family before belief. It makes me sick that I'm doing something I don't believe in. My parents tell me how proud they are of me, etc. etc. Both my parents and my sibling are diehards...both will shun me if i quit. I just don't understand why if I choose not to believe the same way as someone else (especially family), I must suffer emotional consequences. That's another point, why would anyone want to be part of an organization that is predudice against non-believers.

Btw..I've been in the truth since I was 4. Im 35 now and feel so much of my life was/is wasted. Should I just leave and live my own life? TBH..I already know the answer to all these questions. I really just needed to vent.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You ARE being blackmailed by your own parents. Your feelings are justified.

When they say, "we can't associate with you anymore," I would say, "yes you can, you will just choose not to - don't blame the organization for your decision to be unloving to your son/daughter." The JWs shun so easily because they don't have to carry the weight of guilt for being so hateful - they blame Jehovah for it and so their conscience is clear.

Like you say, they are CHOOSING belief over family, and they need to be made painfully aware that it IS a choice and THEY are making it.

It is their loss. Lots of JW parents bend the rules and interpret "necessary family business" to mean "whatever family association I DEEM necessary." If the more radical Dubs choose not to do that JUST TO SAVE THEIR OWN ASS AT ARMAGEDDON, then I call that selfish.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No!

"So and So is no longer a Jehovah's Witness."

Which means: Shun the mentally diseased scumball and don't ask why.

• Pink Floyd
    Pink Floyd

I always thought that apostates, as they are labeled by WT, were such a small group of older "crazies", white people,(no offense but the few I ever saw growing up were white) who held up signs outside of the KH or assemblies. I can not believe how many normal people are on this site! All different ages, races, etc.. I am so glad I found it and I'm not alone!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Welcome to the board, Pink Floyd!! Your comment:

"I always thought that apostates, as they are labeled by WT, were such a small group of older "crazies", white people..."

Ah, HAHAHAHAHA!!!

You must have spotted Rick Fearon and his groupies, demonstrating...

Wait until OUTLAW hears about THIS!!!

Zid the She-Devil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit