If you are remotely interested, I reread the Gospel of John!

by TimothyT 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Read John 1:12, John 3:8-10, John 8:41-44 and John 20:17. Then tell me: Who exactly are children of God?

Is it:

a) Everybody

b) Everybody believing in Jesus' name

c) Sinless, born-again, male Christians

d) Not the Jews

e) All of the above.

If you answered a, b, c, d or e - you are correct

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Oh, White Dove, you are so right. I don't stake my life on the Bible either. How profound of you!

I have no idea how to keep track of this thread so that I can read through those scriptures that Anony Mous posted tomorrow. Can anyone help me?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

As it happens I am remotely interested.

The book of John is a favourite with many people due to its emphasis on love. Never a bad thing whatever its context in my opinion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great info Timmy. They really don't have a leg to stand on!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The bible is simply a finger, pointing the way to God, but one must be careful to not overly concentrate on the finger or we will miss all the heavenly glory.

If you want a scholarlly view on the NT and the canon of the NT, may I suggest these readings:

The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration (4th Edition) by Bruce M. Metzger and Bart D. Ehrman The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance by Bruce M. Metzger Bible in Translation, The: Ancient and English Versions by Bruce M. Metzger

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

Diest - " Tim now it is time to research about the bible. Awen made a great point today...The bible calls Jesus 'Rabbi' yet that term did not appear until 200 CE. Is it a book you can trust?"

This is an erroneous arguement. I am sure there are a number of words which do not directly appear in the Bible, including Christ, Temple, Tree, Cross, etc. They are all translations made into modern language. If the term indicates one who was teaching in the temple, the modern term of Rabbi is correct.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

From what I gather from asking a rabbi, the term Rabbi is from the older word "rabboni", which was indeed in use in 1st century Palestine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit