Australia Newspaper alerts: JWs likens "defectors to 'contagious deadly disease'

by Gayle 43 Replies latest social current

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Unlike some other papers, the Herald Sun removes stories quickly from their website, though the links remain active for years. If you visit their website, you'll find the latest story only by searching for it in the little box at the top. For that reason they don't bother adding reader comments on most stories .... anything to do with footy or crime will get tons of messages, and they'll display them all, but other stories will have none.

Still, it's Australia's biggest selling newspaper, so people will have seen it in print even though it's pretty well vanished from their website. And the JW grapevine being what it is, the Dubs themselves will soon be aware of it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I talked with a JW today about the article. He first said the Watchtower never said that. I said, well you must not have attended the last few meetings then. After SHOWING THE PROOF, he said WTBTS didn't mean "mentally diseased", he said they meant "spiritually diseased" because in our translation (Dutch) the word (geestelijk) is a homonym for both mental and spiritual. I said, but you are in the English congregation and you have the English Watchtower and the Watchtower is translated FROM English.

He said, well in medical circles (he's a non-practicing social worker assistant) you can be mentally sick (again using the homonym) when you have problems with your religion and you can also be mentally sick when you have mental problems. I eventually pulled Hitler on him and said "if the society says they are going to rule the earth in paradise they are already set up as a government right?" Agreed. "Well, do you want a government to put a label on anyone that disagrees with them, you know who that did? Hitler and he said Jews and others were mentally diseased".

He said, "well they didn't say mentally handicapped, they said diseased because you can get healed".

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

They do preach that the government would be after them in the "End of times"..they probably knew people would put up with their BS for only so long before they figured it all out.

Snoozy

• light_bulb
    light_bulb

i'm so happy to see this hit the australian newpaper. when i spoke to my dad last night he hadn't heard of the UK story and the impression I got from him was that it was a nothing story that is not worthy of mention, or him even looking at. he is a ministerial servant in his congregation and i just found out that he has the district overseer staying in thier home in two weeks time.... i would love to have him bring it up when he is there and get some comment on it. maybe i could drop in for a 'suprise' visit now that i know they are going to be there and see what they have to say...

Mum said that not everyone that leaves the organisation is an apostate... only those that speak negatively of the organisation.

i think my dad thinks that i'm one comment away from being 'apostate'... under their opinion i already am an apostate, and right now glad of it.

i like the idea of writing to the politians before the big meeting! I'm going to get on that!

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Mum said that not everyone that leaves the organisation is an apostate... only those that speak negatively of the organisation.

Light bulb, she's right ... to a point. If I left and never criticised the WTS, but began celebrating birthdays or attending another church, I'd be an apostate. If I leave, I leave because I disagree with them. But the only way I can avoid being branded an apostate is to never ever say anything critical about the organisation. It's a form of blackmail to ensure people never say anything critical of the religion once they leave.

If I'm true to myself, why should I never be allowed to discuss with friends, workmates ... or other JWs ... the reasons why I left and the reasons why I disagree with them?

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Im pretty sure the JW's saying only those who speak out are apostates are using their own personal definition. I believe the insight book states that among other things people who "fall away" are apostate.

My favorite response so far is the JW's who claim "the watchtower didnt say that". That is just an epic response because its so wrong and foolish.

And even more foolish are the ones claiming "they didnt mean it", I even heard one JW say it was either a metaphore, or wait for it.................a joke. LOL, when has the watchtower ever told a joke?!?!?!? LOLOLOLOL

JW's will defend anything the watchtower does and its hilarous.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/214463/1/Are-you-an-apostate "Here is what the Insight book says on apostasy: This term in Greek ( a·po·sta·si′a ) comes from the verb a·phi′ste·mi, literally meaning “stand away from.” The noun has the sense of “ desertion, abandonment or rebellion .” (Ac 21:21, ftn) In classical Greek thenoun was used to refer to political defection, and the verb is evidently employed in this sense at Acts 5:37, concerning Judas the Galilean who “drew off” ( a·pe′ste·se, form of a·phi′ste·mi ) followers. The Greek Septuagint uses the term at Genesis 14:4 with reference to such a rebellion. However, in the Christian Greek Scriptures it is used primarily with regard to religious defection; a withdrawal or abandonment of the true cause, worship, and service of God , and hence an abandonment of what one has previously professed and a totaldesertion of principles or faith . The religious leaders of Jerusalem charged Paul with such an apostasy against the Mosaic Law. It may properly be said that God’s Adversary was the first apostate, as is indicated by the name Satan . He caused the first human pair to apostatize. (Ge 3:1-15; Joh 8:44) Following the Flood, there was a rebellion against the words of the God ofNoah. (Ge 11:1-9) Job later found it necessary to defend himself against the charge of apostasy on the part of his three supposed comforters. (Job 8:13; 15:34; 20:5) In his defense Job showed that God grants no audience to the apostate (Job 13:16), and he also showed the hopeless state of one cut off in apostasy. (Job 27:8; compare also Elihu’s statement at 34:30; 36:13.) In these cases the Hebrew noun cha·neph′ is used, meaning “[one] alienated from God ,” thatis, an apostate. The related verb cha·neph′ means “be inclined away from the right relation to God ,” or “pollute, lead to apostasy.”— Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros, by L. Koehler and W. Baumgartner, Leiden, 1958, p. 317."

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thanks for the link!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I'm interested to ask my mom if she has seen the article but that would probably be opening a can of worms... carnivorous worms like from the movie Squirm.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I'm curious what is being said about all the news articles at the various Bethels and especially in NYC. It must have surprised the crap out of them to see anyone complain/protest to the media and get all this publicity.

CJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit