December 1, 2011 Watchtower - I believe there may be some lying in here...

by sd-7 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Our Readers Ask: Will the Earth Survive 2012?

Page 10: "When will this occur? No human knows. "Concerning that day or hour nobody knows," said Jesus, "Neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father." (Mark 13:32) Jehovah's Witnesses do not try to predict when God will destroy the wicked. Though they are alert to "the sign" of the end and believe that humankind is living in the Biblical "last days", they cannot know just when "the end" will occur."

Why do I feel there's a certain lack of truth in that statement? I mean, they were just recently on that long list of failed predictions after that Harold Camping incident, right? It seems particularly odd for them to refer to "calamity howling religious leaders" as being part of the problem with these sorts of predictions. Do they not themselves regularly howl calamity? Anyway...there's another gem in here, in the next article, "Who Can Interpret Prophecy?"

Page 12: "The inspired prophets of old, such as Daniel, did not personally analyze the current trends of their time and then attempt to unravel a complicated future by uttering a prophecy. If they had tried to force the future to unfold in this way, such prophesying would have originated in their own imagination. It would then have been a human prediction, a forecast built upon an imperfect foundation."

So, my guess is that the Revelation book hasn't been studied in awhile...because that's exactly what this description sounds like to me. It seems peculiar that they would even think of discussing this kind of subject in a Public Edition. Yet again it would seem to expose their most vulnerable flank--the issue of prophecy.

But I find these statements to be disingenuous, personally. How about you?

--sd-7

• Ding
    Ding

As usual, the GB decries the very thing in others that it does so much themselves.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This is two public editions in a row that addresses major criticisms of the Borg that can be found on the Internet (November 1 issue addressed the false 607 BCE date for Jerusalem's destruction).

Interesting.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Another whopper. On page 24, we have: "When a person practices a grave sin willfully, the wickedness can become so fully entrenched that there is no separating it from the person." Yet, on page 25, under the subheading "A Balanced View of Love and Hate", we find: "We should therefore hate what is bad but not the person who does what is bad." I'm confused. If there is no separating what is bad from the person at a certain point, and we're supposed to hate what is bad, doesn't that imply hating the person?

It's almost as if these articles are preparing the new recruits for shunning people even before they get too far involved.

Page 17: "In other cases, 'friends' may ridicule the good news presented in God's Word. (2 Pet. 3:3, 4) Some may ridicule your efforts to do what is right. (1 Peter 4:4) If that happens to you, you may have to choose between being their friend and being God's friend." Read: Some may not like you studying with JWs, and if that happens, you may have to shun them in order to be a good JW. So much for the July 2009 Awake, then. Apparently you will have to choose between worship and the people you might care about...

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, eh? It's not a full moon out there right now, but my ravenous, wolflike nature does on occasion affect my thinking...

--sd-7

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Shamelessly stolen from jwfiles, but it illustrates that you are correct in detecting the lie:

http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_said_it/wt_says_not_false_prophet.htm

1. Zion’s Wt,1/15/1892,pg1355reprin t ... “battle” is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914.
    2. The Time is at Hand 1908,pg101 ....the “battle of the great day of God Almighty” (Rev.16:14) which will end in A.D. 1914, with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.
    3. The Finished Mystery 1917, pg 398,399,485 ........the people who are the strength of Christendom shall be cut off in the brief but terribly eventful period beginning in 1918 A.D. A third part are “burned with fire in the mist of the city.” .....After 1918 the people supporting churchianity will cease to be its, supporters, be destroyed as adherents,...Also in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions....
    4. Vindication 1, 1931,pg146,338,339 ...years 1914,1918 and 1925 ..... they also learned to quit fixing dates for the future and predicting what would come to pass on certain dates....
    5. Wt,9/15/41,pg288 ...in the remaining months before Armageddon.
    6. Wt,5/1/68,pg273 Chart of dates 1975 end of 6th 1000-year day...2975 end of 7th 1000-year day....
    7. Aw,1/22/69,pg16 Other Bible prophecies clearly foretell God’s purpose to bring this wicked system to an end in a few years.
    8. Aw,5/22/69,pg15 If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. .....all evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ....as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!
    9. Wt,10/15/69,pg622,623 ....seventh millennium from man’s creation by Jehovah God would begin in less than ten years.
    10. The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah,1971,pg 216 Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day if Jehovah" will begin against modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.
    11. Wt,1/1/89,pg12 The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century. (This quote was later changed in the WT bound volume to: He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day.)
    12.In 1995 the generation of 1914 that would not pass away has changed to a contemporary generation.

• Inkie
    Inkie

Lost Generation: Well doo-dah! Thank you for these. It is appreciated. --Inkie

• sd-7
    sd-7

The May 15 th , 1984 Watchtower, pages 6-7 says the following with regards to the Governing Body’s understanding of Matthew 24:34:

From a purely human viewpoint, it could appear that these developments could hardly take place before the generation of 1914 disappears from the scene. But fulfillment of all the foretold events affecting the generation of 1914 does not depend on comparatively slow human action. Jehovah’s prophetic word through Christ Jesus is: “This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur.” (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired and unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment of his Son’s words in a relatively short time.—Isaiah 46:9, 10; 55:10, 11

<---Ah. There's another one.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

From a purely human viewpoint, it could appear that these developments could hardly take place before the generation of 1914 disappears from the scene . But fulfillment of all the foretold events affecting the generation of 1914 does not depend on comparatively slow human action. Jehovah’s prophetic word through Christ Jesus is: “This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur.” (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired and unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment of his Son’s words in a relatively short time.—Isaiah 46:9, 10; 55:10, 11

--Okay, let's make that bigger, sorry about that...

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

BACK TO THE TOP

BTTT!!!!!!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Famous Awake quote up to 1995:

"This magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 pass away."

Current Awake quote:

"This magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit