Why Are So Many Witnesses So Weird?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I believe that in every Hall there are a number of weird JWs.

We had some that were (and still are) 65 year old mama's boys. They never got married, weren't gay, just weird.

We had old Brother Stevenson that used to yell at everyone if they didn't accept a book!

We had our share of weird elders that were always looking into world events and saying this proves Bible prophecy--when in fact, it had nothing to do with it!

Why are there so many weird JWs???

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

searching for crazy people within organized religion is like searching for sand on the beach.

• designs
    designs

Look at what happens on a typical Saturday in the JW world for Adults and Kids and all of the weirdnesses come to the surface.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I often thought this myself, but when I look at my own story and studying with JW's, I know they kinda put up with strange personalities just to get the numbers. I know I looked a bit out there walking into a KH with jet black hair, big hair, almost down to my back with black jeans, boots and a leather jacket. JW's just embrace anyone who walks in the door to add numbers. I remember one gentlemen who was mentally retarded. Kinda loud too. He would yell and curse at the sisters in the parking lot if they parked their car too slowly. Baptism? You bet. Once he stated he wanted to get dipped he was on the fast track. Did he have a freakin clue what he was agreeing to? nope. But he's counted.

• paladin
    paladin

I was thinking of cognizant dissidence as being a problem. We have two weird individuals in our hall complex and I avoid them.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

only two? wow you're lucky. I had to endure entire bookstudies with people who had the personality of a homeless person

• minimus
    minimus

We had an elder that NEVER EVER allowed anyone into his home. ( I think he either had a dead body in his apartment or a woman).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't mean someone down on their luck. I mean like a ranting, crazy, mentally ill individual on the streets

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

You are certainly right and I suspect there are various reasons. (1) One reason is that the JW religion supposedly purports to be a brotherhood and this attracts people who need this touchy-feely "love". Never mind what happens when they are disappointed, which they will be. It just takes time. And, let me tell you, what a rude awakening that is!

(2) Anyway, that is one reason and related to this is the feeling that no matter what "wrong" they do, they will be forgiven. The religion's teaching of "Adamic sin", death wiping the slate clean and even "not taking your brother to court" makes some people feel they can do absolutely anything and be forgiven. As far as I was concerned, this contributed to the unaccountability that runs through the whole thing (brother defrauding brother, etc). This is why I had almost NO business dealings with anybody there. I couldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

(3) Another reason I suspect is because the religion gives crumbs of "importance" in the form of silly titles. These titles, which mean nothing to me, are an attraction to certain people. Somebody can join the religion and feel "important" in their own way OR at the very least, get attention from people who would otherwise ignore them.

There may be other reasons, but I think these are the big three that contribute to certain eccentric types being there.

Minimus:

With regard to that elder who NEVER had anybody in his house: I wonder: was he in other people's houses? I don't know if he was married or not but if he was single, he might have resented people's intrusiveness, nosey-ness and judgmentalism that is rampant in the religion. I know I felt that way. But, at least I had a few friends over my place once in a while, so there was no mystery about how I lived. Besides, as an elder, he is held to a higher standard with respect to showing hospitality. It was also my observation that you could be in that religion an entire lifetime and NEVER be invited over certain elders' homes. They only had "certain" people over.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

searching for crazy people within organized religion is like searching for sand on the beach.

That plus the fact that the Dubs are so structured in just about every move they make, some mentally ill folks need a schedule to follow to keep them in order, I often think of seeing them on the subway with pen in hand underlining certain points in whatever publication they're reading, wonder if they can read a normal book without getting the urge to underline !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit