It's official, the internet IS the Watchtower's nemesis!

by cedars 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Well done Cedars.

"Franklin Massey - no, of course I didn't mean to claim that a country's populace is "ignorant" if they don't have internet. I was referring to ignorance from the perspective of a lack of available knowledge in the form of websites dealing with Witness beliefs, and not an 'unwillingness' to take in knowledge. I thought this was fairly blatantly obvious, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify that point."

I also liked your clarification. The definition of ignorance is the "lack of knowledge, education or information". Not necessarily, as you put it, the "unwillingness" to learn or be informed. As a society, so many times, we view the word "ignorance" or "ignorant" to be so distasteful and offensive.....but in all actuality.....it comes down to the context in which it is used. In this case....I'd fully agree. It is not a matter of those in Uganda being of less intelligence than those living in Great Britain. That certainly isn't the case. But as a whole....their population is less educated and they do not have easy access to the internet. Education is king. Education teaches people how to think critically and how to analyze. If those in Uganda had the same education and internet access as a 1st world country does......I believe they would be listed in your first group of countries.

It never ceases to amaze me how closely related education and intelligence are........yet the stark contrasts that exist between them as well

• cedars
    cedars

outsmartthesystem - couldn't agree more. If I could reword my summation to reflect that intention, I would do so. Unfortunately it appears that it is now too late. Hopefully most people will realise that the word "ignorant" wasn't used in its negative sense, but I will be more careful next time.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

cedars - you have a PM

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Juan, I was intrigued by your message. I will be in touch!

Cedars

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I should note that the above figures are based on AVERAGES. As you might expect, there were always countries that bucked the trend. For example, only 14.5% of Cuba's population have access to the internet, but they still only managed a 1% increase in publishers. At the other end of the scale, 58.8% of Malaysia's population have access to the internet, but the Society still managed an 8% increase in that country. However, such exceptions are rare, and the overall trend (as shown above) is that "ignorance is bliss" - at least as far as the preaching work is concerned.

Something else to take into consideration regarding countries that buck the system is the percentage of elderly population. Even if there is reasonable internet access in a certain country that also has significant growth for the Watchtower, how much of that particular population is willing or able to use a computer? My non-jw dad is 73 years old and lives in the US. He has a computer and internet service but absolutely refuses to use it. At least in my neck of the woods, I've found that many people who are in their 70's or older are petrified of even trying to use the internet.

On the other hand, in countries where internet availability as well as Watchtower growth is low, is there a significant portion of the populaion that is young? Although younger people may not have immediate internet access, they may be more willing and able to use a computer at a library, school, work, or friend's home than their senior counterparts.

Just a thought, but it does seem that you're on to something.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

Ok, I can't figure out how to send a private message, but Cedars, REALLY awesome posts. Very informative. Thank you!

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

@Cedars The comparison was brought together by saying that opposers of God at Babel were uniting in defiance of God so an act of defiance against the organization is the same as an act of defiance to God. It was said it's interesting how the world can now communicate with each other and unite for a common cause. Jehovah seperated the languages because" . . .there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them. . ."(Genesis 11:6) JW's feel everything revolves around them in the Bible & in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if they used this as some sort of new light.

BTW thanks again for getting the word out.

• flipper
    flipper

CEDARS- Nice research, good work. Thanks for sharing it here. The WT society is indeed becoming very paranoid of the Internets effect on JW's as it seems they mention it in a negative way virtually every chance they get in their WT study articles recently. But information is power which the WT leaders realize- but there's not a damned thing they can do to stop the tide of information available on the Internet. And as we all know- if the WT society can't control something or someone - they get very cranky. Good ! Let them get even crankier- it will chase more JW's out the door ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• traveb
    traveb

I'm surpised western European countries like Spain and Italy have less then 50% Internet penetration.

• Gayle
    Gayle

cedars,,thank you,,you have such interesting points and conclusions brought here, and already you show putting so much into actions and effects toward the exposure of the WTS.

Your stats are so interesting and I have no doubt about the Internet is getting out valuable information quickly and thoroughly.

I left the WTS before Internet. Then, we felt the worst thing for a cult was: time. Time will erode the zeal, idealism and excitement of a cult. Real life problems emerge in cult members, eventually all the same again, people tire through the 'postponed expectations,' the expenses of life, loss of energy, health, lack of funds, marriage strain or break up altogether just the same as everyone else.

In your Group I, in the first-world countries mostly for JWs, that new zeal isn't the same, after all it's 130+ years with empty, old JW messages, 4+ generations along. The old great, great-parents (1880s) or the childless ones of long ago have been long dead, the next generation (most very old or have died by now), now many of us are grandparents. This just wasn't suppose happen in 'this' world. How can these young ones now not stop and think something is wrong. Thus, not much increase is these countries any more, unless due to immigrants.

Now, in other countries, the JW missionary work picked up later. I suppose in Groups III and IV, there's a lot more "new zeal" yet. A "new world" would have a great appeal to them, but I truly believe, though their increases are greater for now, they will burn out even more quickly trying to keep up with the WT demands amidst their real life demands. How, in such countries, will the WTS really place demands on their men folk to be elders and ministerial servants, amidst their incredible challenge to provide for their families basic needs in their world? Certainly, the Governing Body have no clue or empathy of their reality in such places.

So it is exciting how the Internet will effect the 'time' factor. It will help JW victims to process much more quickly their doubts and to understand why this religion is not working for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit