No Tattoos for JWs? Then why no beards?

by punkofnice 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hotspur
    hotspur

I always had hoped they would discover that ties were pagan too

They were actually a symbol of Moabite or Assyrian slavery (sorry, can't rmember which). They (ties) have a murky background.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The beard issue is the one thing that has bothered me the most as a Jehovah's Witness. They have absolutely no scriptural grounds to enforce this.

I had friends tell me that beard were NOT uncommon on JWs in Australia..........even elders. True or not?

DOC

• still thinking
    still thinking

cantleave....you don't need hair to headbang...don't let that hold you back!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point.

Running through a few of the verses it is surprising how arbitary it is what they choose to retain and what they chose to ignore.

“‘And in case YOU people come into the land, and YOU must plant any tree for food, YOU must also consider its fruitage impure as its “foreskin.” For three years it will continue uncircumcised for YOU . It should not be eaten. But in the fourth year all its fruit will become a holy thing of festal exultation to Jehovah. And in the fifth year YOU may eat its fruit in order to add its produce to yourselves. I am Jehovah YOUR God.

Don't obey anymore

“‘Y OU must eat nothing along with blood.

STILL MUST OBEY

“‘Y OU must not look for omens, and YOU must not practice magic.

STILL MUST OBEY

“‘Y OU must not cut YOUR sidelocks short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard.

Don't follow anymore - in fact go to the other extreme

“‘And YOU must not make cuts in YOUR flesh for a deceased soul, and YOU must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah.

STILL SUPPOSED TO OBEY

“‘Do not profane your daughter by making her a prostitute, in order that the land may not commit prostitution and the land actually be filled with loose morals.

STILL MUST OBEY

“‘My sabbaths YOU should keep, and YOU should stand in awe of my sanctuary. I am Jehovah.

Don't obey anymore

“‘Do not turn yourselves to the spirit mediums, and do not consult professional foretellers of events, so as to become unclean by them. I am Jehovah YOUR God.

STILL MUST OBEY

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

DesirousOfChange wrote had friends tell me that beard were NOT uncommon on JWs in Australia..........even elders. True or not?

I know an elder that has a moustache, but not beards...maybe some time way back.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hotspur - You eat at MacDonalds too eh?

wobble - I agree. They are murderer's the type that claim 'god made me do it!'

Greybeard - Interesting observations. Thanks.

sd-7 - Agreed. I feel Boozerford started the JWs DELIBERATELY as a cult. He knew what he was doing...when he was sober!

desirousofchange - As the song goes: 'He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich!'

stillthinking - Hairless headbanging looks odd though!

jwfacts - Yes. It's on-off-stop-go-stop with the WBT$! When looked at in the cold light of day not to mention context!! The WBT$ looks rather weird.

joey jo-jo - Sometimes the JDubs say stuff to soften the edges of their unreasonable cult rules. to make the GB look less harsh. It's 'theo-twat-ic warfare'!

• talesin
    talesin

Just musing on why they aren't Kosher ... hmmm,,,,

Reminds me of Dr. Laura Schlessinger (sp?) and her cherry-picking of Leviticus ,,, another great hypocrite; she and the WT$ should join forces! judgmental, self-righteous, homophobic, hypocrites,,, yah, a good 'marriage'

tal

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

talesin - Your right. I'm not too familiar with Laura Schlessinger.......she made good tennis rackets from memory!

• talesin
    talesin

lol! Nice rackets, so I hear. I once had a Wilson (my claim to fame hahahaha)

She is an American talk radio phenom 'advice giver', in the harshest possible way. and professional hypocrite.

t

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

talesin - Seems like she does make a racket....though not of the tennis variety!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit