Human Rights Commission finds use of "Mentally Diseased" label "Offensive"

by sizemik 32 Replies latest members private

• talesin
    talesin

I would be willing to try the same in Canada. I have nothing to lose anymore by going public.

If anyone who is more famiiar with the laws in Canada wants to help me find the correct person to write to in Ottawa, that would be a great help. I would need to get hold of a copy of that WT, and perhaps a copy of your original letter, size, as a template.

tal

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Excellent work, Sizemik, and I believe someone in Australia is making much the same complaint. Comments on The Independent website now up to 310.

• sizemik
    sizemik

For Talesin . . . (and anybody else considering this) . . .

My initial email was a brief toe-in-the-water inquiry . . .

.....................................................................................

To whom it may concern,

I was alarmed to hear that the Jehovah’s Witnesses all over the globe studied an article in the private edition of the Watchtower (15 July, 2011 available only on special request if not a member).

I was sickened because of the discriminatory words of hate used in an Orwellian manner against those that do not wish to remain in the organization.

I was also appalled at the way people with mental health issues were used as a yardstick against those leaving the Watchtower organization.

Quote: para 6

‘’ Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are “mentally diseased,” and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings. (1 Tim. 6:3, 4)’’

‘Apostates’ to the watchtower are those that no longer wish to be identified as a Jehovah’s Witness’.

I think this kind of sick discrimination needs exposing and threatens the social fabric of our society.

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards,

I was then asked by the HRC for a copy of the article, which I forwarded along with the follow up letter here (the final draft is at the bottom of page 1) . . .

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/216124/1/Human-Rights-Commission-complaint-over-WTB-TS-hate-speech-your-input-please

You may prefer to send one comprehensive complaint based on this draft . . . feel free to plagiarise and edit as you desire.

the Canadian HRC website . . . http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/contact/default-eng.aspx

If I can be of any further help (I have the July 15th WT on pdf), post here or PM me.

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

Wish I could buy you a beer! Great job! Keep at it mate x

A few comments on facebook indicate others whove read the Independent article may get in touch with their own local newspapers and forward the Independent article (lady was Dutch)....hope this snowballs!!!!

Paula x

Yup, that's me... I am e-mailing with a Dutch journalist as we speak! I am trying to get it on national televison. It is a hot topic at the moment in the Netherlands, because of a tv-programm about the sect 'the miracle of love'. A politician watched this show and is trying to get a 'ban' on dangerous sects in the Netherlands. They are workin g on a list at the moment, but it might be difficult as we have always been a very liberal country with a lot of attention for 'freedom of speech'.

• blondie
    blondie

You cite the 15 July 2011 edition of The Watchtower where apostates are said to be “mentally diseased.” The quote appears to have been taken from the New World Translation of 1 Timothy 6:3, 4. I found it interesting that when I looked at seven other translations of that section of the Bible none of them use the phrase “mentally diseased” in their translation.

I pointed out this point in my comments....in about 6 other translations.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I do recall that Blondie . . .

Interestingly, I made no reference to this aspect of the terminology in my complaint. The legal counsel at the HRC checked this for himself, which impressed me greatly. He was very thorough in his assessment. It's nice to have this acknowledgement in writing from an independent non-religious source such as this . . . could very well come in handy.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Nice work.

• Gayle
    Gayle

sizemik, I am awestruck with what you have accomplished. I am in process going to send this info on to the Arizona Republic editor. Isn't it wonderful to fight back with their own words and own literature!! Such a wonderful public "Shame - Shame" for them.

Thank you so much!

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Well done! Truly impressed with the effort thats been put in to this. Let's hope it's a step in the right direction

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It is encouraging to see that efforts Are being made to hold the Watchtower accountable for its comments towards apostates.

sizemik " I was sickened because of the discriminatory words of hate used in an Orwellian manner against those that do not wish to remain in the organization."

Bearing this is mind perhaps we should show restraint with the offensive names that people on this forum sometimes call those that do choose to remain in the organization; also the names that the Watchtower Society is called. To be credible we must practise what we preach. Please don't call me mentally diseased for stating the obvious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit