Has Gambling Become A Conscience Issue Among JWs?

by FreeAtLast1914 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

@Dagney...JWs go buck wild on cruises...the WT rules don't count then...

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Is share trading considered gambling?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Wow - just seen this thread and the direction re "petty gambling solely for entertainment". That's a new one on me but the WT 02 11/1 p31 reference http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002808 uses the "wise Christians" get out to cover friendly small stake games amongst friends. So it would seem that a direct prohibition on pain of DF has not been the case for at least 10 years.

Of course, no dub without access to the Flock book will not know elders do well to keep out of it.

On a side note, I've played many games of poker just using chips with brothers - no money stakes. I've also seen brothers openly play slot machines in pubs - never "strong" ones but brothers none the less.

I don't know of anybody who's done the lottery or played online games etc. but I am sure that ones do under the anonimity of the internet.

On the point of share trading then no it isn't consider gambling (see Awake 00 0/8 pp. 25-27 http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000729?q=stocks&p=par) but I think this is a slightly naive view since there are many more ways of playing the financial markets that simply buying a stock (e.g. spread betting).

The problem for the WTS is that ultimately any form of speculative purchase with aim to sell for a higher price could be gambling as no one can tell the future. All the negative aspects of greed, materialism, addiction etc. can apply to any activity related to financial gain.

I know a witness couple who went on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire in the UK. He lost his privilages and they did not even get to play the game properly (never got through the quick fire question chooser round). Ultimately it was the little green eyed monster of small minded ones in their congregation that did for them and it's jealousy that is behind most of the vitriol against those who do anything to gain financial security.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    Gambling isn't the DFing offense, "making a practice of" gambling is.

No, losing is.

Winning and being intelligent about it, would be the opposite.

I don't see why anyone would tell anyone else about it. Always keep winning quiet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit