I've Cried for Days

by Smoldering Wick 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

I have been separated from the JWs now for 4 years. The first year, I went into a deep and severe clinical depression. I think that's what happens when you are 3rd generation JW, born and raised. When it's all you know, everyone you know...and then it's gone. I took Prozac and then Prozac and Wellbutrin to numb me enough to survive. Then I found a chat room on AOL. I've spent the last 4 years there. (I'm sure that sounds like I still need serious help) But, it served a purpose. There were many people along the way who were more than willing to listen to my story and for that I'm grateful. Although, it was a story I never really liked to talk about. During my years in that chat room, there were lots of people who came and went. Some had agendas...some wanted comfort...some just needed a friend. I matured from the needy newly inactive JW to a full-fledged EXJW who could offer that comfort and friendship to others. But, one thing that separated me from most EXJWs who would visit there...was I didn't like discussing anything biblical. Sure, there was an occasional debate on the Trinity...I was all too happy to throw my two cents in. It was the serious anti-JW biblical discussion I secretly cringed at. So, I spent the time...making silly remarks, sexual innuendoes and suggestive comments. It was a diversion from reality.

As the grand daughter of one of the anointed...the sister of a few elders...the wife of a ministerial servant and a regular pioneer (titles I wore with pride) I could never say out loud what I was thinking. I was generally quiet by nature (only because I didn't want to offend) except when it came to JW doctrine. I was the one with the Watchtower completely covered with notes on Sunday (you should see my pioneer book) I printed out ALL the scriptures for the book study from the WT CD. I made sure I commented at least 4 times every meeting, and that they were insightful comments, researched. I was used for impromptu talks...because I had the gift of public speaking (enrolled in the TMS since the age of 6) I was always ready and willing to volunteer for assembly parts or work.

Sorry....for the tangent...back to my chat room diversion. I tried for several months to immerse myself into the Trinity Doctrine, Immortality of the Soul, Hellfire, Heaven....only to realize that I could not make myself believe it. So, back to the jokes and sex talk I went. It was fun. I talked to anyone. JWs, Inactive JWs, DA'd, DF'd...people are just people to me. I even enjoyed talking with atheists, agnostics, wiccans, pagans. (They have the best sense of humor by far) I found myself cringing when anyone would try to preach to me...I couldn't stand listening to Born Again Christians or Devout JWs online...they made my skin crawl!

In real life...I enjoyed an occasional Birthday or Christmas Party at work...but, it didn't infiltrate my home life. I maintained contact with my JW family. When I visited them, they would hug me and talk freely about what's going on at the hall. But, they steered clear of the subject of me being inactive. I really felt like I was still a JW...I just didn't attend the meetings. If I would see brothers at the mall or grocery shopping...it was always a friendly and loving meeting. As long as no one brought the subject up, things were fine.

Fine... until two weeks ago. My older JW sister...who's only had limited contact with me for many years decides to talk to me online. The first 20 minutes were catching up with our lives...talking about our aged parents etc. then the witnessing starts. I tried to dance around the issues and stay completely neutral on every subject. But, she kept coming at me. Asking me the same questions over and over that I was giving vague answers to. Until finally she broke me down...upset, I admitted I no longer thought the same way I used to. I even questioned the validity of the Bible and religion. Needless to say, the three hour conversation was highly charged.

A week later, I find out that my sister and her daughter are planning a visit. They live in another state...and we hadn't seen each other in eight years. The visit was miserable. During the course of the visit she told me she didn't like me, she thought I was doomed for destruction, influenced by Satan. She said she would like to be able to pray for me, but...she knew she couldn't. It wasn't right.

I found in myself a new strength that I didn't know I had...and I didn't give into her emotionally. At one point...while I was remaining calm during her attack on me...she had an anxiety attack and what appeared to be an emotional breakdown. My sister, who I looked up to all my life. Who as a regular pioneer herself was my example. Who studied with me even before I could read was now in front of me...showing her venerability. My unemotional glances and occasional smiles at her "Armageddon & Destruction" sermons were very unsettling to her. We departed...more distant than ever.

During this same time, I learned (from a reliable source) that my oldest brother...who had been a JW for over 50 years...most of those years spent as an elder (from age 18) and congregation servant...was on this discussion board. I know I've been inactive for 4 years now...and I've heard every argument there is to hear against JWs...but, this was faith wrenching. As I began to read my brother's posts although they were not completely inflammatory against the JWs....the little faith I still had left in the JWs began to die. I did not sleep well the first week. None of my family know about my brother. They still hold him very high in a JW spiritual sense. Not long ago, this same JW sister who tore me to shreds...visited him and asked for spiritual advice on a personal matter. Little did she know of his real feelings toward the JWs. She still thinks of him second only to Christ himself.

I am sinking back into depression. I was happy for a while when I thought I could have both the "world" and my JW friends and family. But, two weeks ago...after talking online with my sister...I quit my job. I have lost interest in things that used to be fun for me. I am feeling very alone. (for a while....I thought maybe I could start going to Sunday meetings after a few years) I know now that I will never be part of the JWs again. The friends I made on AOL...have all since gone on with their lives...healing and living again.

Now, here I am...on JWD. I have allowed myself to read more anti-JW stuff in the past week than I have in four years. I tried to remain humorous...an occasional sex post for reassurance. But, this feels very lonely. On AOL I was very open with who I was...freely gave out my name, location and picture to whoever asked. I've met one (smurfy) friend who's made me laugh several times in chat here...thank you. ;) I guess, I haven't come out to you all...with who I am, because I am afraid of disappointing my brother with my posts. Kinda going back to my JW days of being quiet...and not letting anyone know what I'm really thinking for fear of offending someone. So, here we post...two anonymous people who grew up in the same life who are of the same blood...who separately arrived at the same place ... it's just we haven't met yet.

I'm sorry this is so long...as I've said before I don't even read long posts. So, if you're here...and you followed me through all this teary incoherent dribble...thanks. It means a lot. This has been very painful.

I've cried for days.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

What was your screen name on AOL? I used to go to the chat rooms there too. That is how I learned the Truth about the JW religion. My screen name on aol was Luv2shari.

Dontpreach? is that you?

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

((((((((((((((Shari)))))))))))))

Yes, you know me....and have always been a dear friend to me. I even have your web page link on mine.

I am going through a very hard time right now. I know that for my own sanity I will have to DA soon. Who can stay in JW limbo forever?

I just want to respect my brother's privacy. I hope you understand.

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wick

You have lost a lot, and may lose more. You probably need time to grieve your losses. It's probably a good thing to let it happen, not suppressing it. It will likely help you to find your inner self. IMO

SS

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Girl, you have to e-mail me and let me know who you are. The suspence is killing me lol

I promise to keep it between you and me.

Shari

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • ofcmad
    ofcmad

(((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Keep on keepin' on hun.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Hang in there. You should know by now that there are many who have felt exactly how you feel. The particulars of the story all differ but almost all exjw's have to go through the dark times. It took me ten years to finally let go entirely.
    The old favorite scripture John 3:16 says "you will know the truth and the truth will set you free". The reality is that no one really KNOWS the truth, but we sure can know what is NOT the truth.
    Im sorry about your sister. I have had relatives try the same thing. I had a JW aunt that wouldnt even talk to me end up killing herself. It is all so sad but it is not our fault. Everyone must walk their own path, even family.
    I believe it is okay to get a little down, just dont stay in the well of depair too long. Deprogramming is a painful process and it will take time. It sounds like that "new strength" you found is you finally breaking free. Congratulations. Just remember that tearing away will leave wounds that need to heal and they WILL.

P.S. NEVER, NEVER, give up on sexual innuendo. Thats just crazy talk.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Dear Smoldering,

I like to play this song when I'm down, makes me feel better. Maybe you'll like it too.

The Pope

Cry A While

Well, I had to go down and see a guy named Mr. Goldsmith
    A nasty, dirty, double-crossin', back-stabbin' phony I didn't wanna have to be dealin' with
    But I did it for you and all you gave me was a smile
    Well, I cried for you - now it's your turn to cry awhile

Feel like a fighting rooster - feel better than I ever felt
    But the Pennsylvania line's in an awful mess and the Denver road is about to melt
    I went to the church house, every day I go an extra mile
    Well, I cried for you - now it's your turn, you can cry awhile

Last night 'cross the alley there was a pounding on the walls
    It must have been Don Pasquale makin' a two a.m. booty call
    To break a trusting heart like mine was just your style
    Well, I cried for you - now it's your turn to cry awhile

I'm on the fringes of the night, fighting back tears that I can't control
    Some people they ain't human, they got no heart or soul
    Well, I'm crying to The Lord - I'm tryin' to be meek and mild
    Yes, I cried for you - now it's your turn, you can cry awhile

Well, you bet on a horse and it ran on the wrong way
    I always said you'd be sorry and today could be the day
    I might need a good lawyer, could be your funeral, my trial
    Well, I cried for you, now it's your turn, you can cry awhile

• ladonna
    ladonna

Dear Wick((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

Thanks for sharing your story. But like SS said, you may lose more yet.
    I've lost everyone that was in my life. I've gone on..a long way, but there is a deep, deep sadness that I don't think will ever completely go away forever.

Just know this, you are not alone here. Many of us have come to know you a little already...as much as you want to let us know you. That's ok too. No one here "has" to know everything about a person.

Just be yourself that you are now, and if more of you comes out....that's ok too. Take time...and Shari is a lovely lady to confide in.

Kindest thoughts,
    Ana

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Wick,

Many of us here would like to share a hug with you; we do understand. I have a dad much like your sister. He has been an elder/congregation servant for over 60 years. I am a 4th generation JW. That is, I was. I have been drifting for more than 20 years. Finally, I am mostly out.

It does get better, mean time it is painful. Talk to us all you want to if that will help.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit