A Letter to My Sons ... A Request for Help

by 00DAD 28 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal
    My older son has blocked my cell phone so I can't call or text, but I do send them both postcards and other items from time to time.

Now that's just wrong. If he should ever wake up one day, he is going to regret being like this.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Why do you have to "go" anywhere? That is a false dichotomy. Leave the WT. Remain a Christian. Be an individual with a conscience.

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD - are you commenting on the correct thread?

• garyneal
    garyneal

00DAD,

I must admit, I had that same dilemna 2 years ago when I decided to stop attending meetings and felt that I needed to find a 'replacement' church for my wife and family. I did find another church but I know it will never meet my wife's standards. Then one day, I realized, why am I trying to provide a replacement, I am me and she is she.

• Perry
    Perry

Those were his words gary neal. I know the Minnonites do not do military service either as others refrain. There is a strong biblical argument for though.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Sorry if my last post was unclear. Perry raised "where else could we go" argument, which is why I responded:

"Why do you have to "go" anywhere? That is a false dichotomy. Leave the WT. Remain a Christian. Be an individual with a conscience."

• cedars
    cedars

Hi 00DAD, it all becomes clear - please forgive my ignorance!!

• Perry
    Perry

Ahhhh, the limits of written communication.

• dozy
    dozy

You have my deepest sympathies - to be rejected on a false premise by ones own children must be the most heartbreaking thing imaginable.

Like the other posters have said , you are probably best just trying to keep an occasional contact - postcards , "newsy" letters etc. Show that you are normal , not bitter. I've done this with one of my sisters , who originally had virtually no contact with me , even though I'm not DAd or DFd. When I showed that I hadn't grown horns & was actually quite normal , her & her husband have softened in time , although it does occasionally tighten up when the usual WT articles come out.

Although you describe them as "uber witnesses" , are they really? In my experience , the relatively few 2nd gen older teenagers who got baptised had little interest or knowledge in doctrinal matters. They simply were carried along by JW peer pressure & enthusiastic parents. In reality , they are interested in what every other 17 / 20 year guy is in - girls , sport , computers and girls again! Even if they seem to be zealous pioneers , I would guess that they are simply in a comfortable social & family network that is validated by a pseudo worship.

A posthumous letter like you describe is an idea , but in reality will almost certainly not get delivered till you are in your 80's or 90's. By that time your sons will be in their middle ages & the whole world , including quite possibly the structure of the WTBTS , will be completely different.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DOZY: A posthumous letter like you describe is an idea, but in reality will almost certainly not get delivered till you are in your 80's or 90's. By that time your sons will be in their middle ages & the whole world , including quite possibly the structure of the WTBTS , will be completely different.

I hope! In fact, I hope this letter never gets delivered because we are able to reunite, however that plays out. We have longevity in my family, especially on my mother's side. My grandmother lived to be 96. Both of my parents are still alive.

I'm just thinking about what I could do to reach them in the event that I get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Of course, if Armageddon comes, everything will be OK because that will prove them right and me wrong ... NOT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit