Wording of "mentally diseased" press release - feedback?

by cedars 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gayle
    Gayle

Another press release: Lovingly, Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses provide Credit Card Terminals @ Assembly Halls!! *** (* icon for kiss)

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

folks have given good recommendations, especially rebel8

In paragraph 4, consider dropping use of the word apostate completely given that you explained it earlier in the letter. This word is lost on most non-JWs. Also consider simplifying and humanizing that paragraph a bit more. Think about your audience...they don't care about "apostates" but they may care about people that simply decided to no longer attend the church and because of it are lose friends and family and labeled mentally diseased.

You're in the UK...add that tabloid touch while keeping it truthful

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks everyone.

These are all excellent suggestions, but some feedback in particular has struck a nerve, and made me wonder whether I should approach this from a different angle. I'm a big believer in doing plenty of preparation before getting embroiled in any job, and I'm wondering whether I should have firm figures at my fingertips before embarking on any press campaign.

I have described my idea in more detail in a separate thread. I would be grateful (once again!) for your input...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/215951/1/Census-online-survey-idea-thoughts-please

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Is there a case here to bombard the press with the release anyway?

Say, if a number of us on here agreed to send it in?

What about settting up an online petition or something?

Sorry, just thinking out loud....

• cedars
    cedars

punkofnice - hm, you raise a valid point. Perhaps there needs to be some form of press release in the meantime to follow hot on the heels of the apostate-bashing Watchtower study whilst it's still "recent" and "relevant". The figures can always follow later, and be ready for the next time the Society decide to have a pop at us.

I'll try and tidy up the release anyway and have a think about who to send it to...

• cedars
    cedars

Here is the latest version. I have tried to incorporate as many suggestions as possible, although it's impossible to use absolutely everything. If there are no major objections, I will be sending this to every major newspaper/news channel in the UK in the morning.

Jehovah’s Witnesses who disagree with church leadership branded “mentally diseased” by hierarchy

A week ago, on September 11 th 2011, the whole world came together in solidarity against the terrorist atrocities that were committed ten years ago in New York and Washington. Sadly, on this same day, 7.5 million Jehovah’s Witnesses in congregations around the globe united in condemning, isolating and branding as “mentally diseased” any who speak out against the Church’s leaders.

Few people are aware of an oppressed minority of disaffected Jehovah’s Witnesses, spread all over the world, who are trapped in a religion that they no longer believe in. These members remain associated with the religion for fear of being separated from their believing friends or relatives, who are conditioned into shunning those who disagree with the religion’s leadership.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are well known for their door-to-door preaching activity as well as their refusal to accept blood transfusions. What few people know about Jehovah’s Witnesses is that once you become one, it is almost impossible to leave without suffering serious consequences.

New converts to the religion take an oath at baptism to acknowledge the leadership of Jehovah’s Witnesses as representing God’s spirit-directed organisation. If they subsequently reach the conclusion that God does NOT direct the organisation, they are branded as being what is commonly termed an “apostate”, and the religion encourages for them to be shunned by Church officials and their own family members alike. As a result, many Witnesses remain trapped in the religion for years, pretending to recognise the authority of the self-appointed hierarchy for no other reason than to maintain contact with their family members, who would otherwise come under intense pressure to ignore them. Untold numbers of “trapped” Witnesses therefore live in constant fear of having their true beliefs discovered, and being ousted from their own families.

On Sunday, September 11 th 2011, at Witness meetings all over the world, an article was discussed from the July 15 th issue of the Watchtower magazine, which is published by Jehovah’s Witnesses. The Watchtower magazine is now published in two separate monthly versions – a public edition for offering in the preaching work, and a “members only” study edition. The July 15 th “study edition” dissuaded any individual Witness from watching any TV news items in which former Witnesses are interviewed, or from visiting any websites or forums on which Witness beliefs are debated.

The article also condemned “apostates”, which is a Witness label for any who turn their backs on the organisation and its belief system. In one forthright and abusive statement, the article declared that any dissenters are “mentally diseased”, and that they “seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings.” This statement was read out at 1,533 congregations throughout the UK, and at least 107,210 congregations globally. Although the statement was discussed and commented on, any who voiced their objections to the wording of the statement would have been silenced by Church leaders, and likely ejected from the meeting.

The claim that those who disagree with the Witnesses are “mentally diseased” stems from the Church’s internal version of the Bible, the New Word Translation. Needless to say, it is a highly offensive expression both for disaffected Witnesses and for those who suffer from genuine mental illnesses. Under current UK law, the wording of the article may even constitute a “hate crime” if it is subsequently used as license by individual members to target and intimidate any who speak out against the organisation’s leadership - a group of seven men based in New York who are known as the Governing Body.

The article also used an analogy in which any Witness who rejects the Church’s authority is said to be infected with a type of “contagious, deadly disease”, and that for this reason, other Witnesses should avoid contact with them at all costs.

All over the middle east, the Arab Spring is freeing people from oppression and tyranny at the hands of ruthless dictators, and yet even in developed countries such as the UK there are those whose lives are influenced on a daily basis by a tyrannical religion that they desperately wish to leave but are unable to, for fear of being separated from their loved ones. To add insult to injury, such ones are now being labelled as “mentally diseased” if they make the mistake of speaking out against the Church’s leadership.

• booby
    booby

I know that to witnesses everyone that says something off color to the gb version of religion has come to be thought of as apostate. But how would one prove that "they" were thought of as such and therefore fall under the "mentally deseased" moniker. In doing a search for my own research I have found it difficult to find where the society equate "apostate" with those who become weak or simply drift away.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Press stories are to be written very terse, 4th or 5th grade level. Short, active voice sentances.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks booby and skeeter1, but to be honest I'm not really sure what to do with those suggestions. Can you give me some practical examples of how to implement them in the wording?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I tried to tighten it a bit.

Jehovah’s Witness Violate Hate Crimes Law

On September 11 th , Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide united in condemning, isolating and now branding dissenters as “mentally diseased” who “seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings.” Church elders then directed followers to avoid contact with dissenters at all costs by likening these objectors to having a “contagious, deadly disease.”

Congregations came to these conclusions from studying the July 15, 2011 study edition of the Watchtower magazine (article enclosed). This edition also dissuaded followers from watching any TV news items in which former Witnesses are interviewed, or from visiting any websites or forums on which Witness beliefs are debated. These statements were read out at 1,533 congregations throughout the UK, to least 7.5 million followers in 107,210 congregations globally. Clearly, this is an attempt by the Watchtower to control the information that followers receive to evaluate their religious choice.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are well known for their friendly but persistent door-to-door preaching. What few people realize is that once you become a Jehovah’s Witness, it is impossible to leave without losing your family and friends, and now being labeled as having a contagious, deadly mental disease. All converts take a baptism oath that acknowledges the Watchtower represents Jehovah God on Earth. If the convert later concludes that Jehovah God does not direct the Church leadership or disagrees with any tenant(s), the dissenter is excommunicated, shunned and labeled as apostate. The Church leadership strongly encourages church elders, followers, and family members to severely shun and cease almost all contact (except limited, rare family business) with the apostate. Followers who refuse to follow these orders are excommunicated themselves.

As a result, many Witnesses remain trapped in the religion for years, pretending to recognize the authority of the Watchtower for no other reason than to maintain contact with their family members. Untold numbers of “trapped” Witnesses therefore live in constant fear of having their true beliefs discovered, and being ousted from their own families. Even during weekly services, followers do not show any dissention out of fear.

The newest claim that those who disagree with the Witnesses are “mentally diseased” stems from the Church’s internal version of the Bible, the New Word Translation. Needless to say, it is a highly offensive expression both for disaffected Witnesses and for those who suffer from genuine mental illnesses. Under current UK law, the wording of the article may even constitute a “hate crime” if it is subsequently used as license by individual members to target and intimidate any who speak out against the organisation’s leadership - a group of seven men based in New York who are known as the Governing Body.

The article also used an analogy in which any Witness who rejects the Church’s authority is said to be infected with a type of “contagious, deadly disease”, and that for this reason, other Witnesses should avoid contact with them at all costs.

All over the Middle East, the Arab Spring is freeing people from oppression and tyranny at the hands of ruthless dictators, and yet even in developed countries such as the UK there are those whose lives are influenced on a daily basis by a tyrannical religion that they desperately wish to leave but are unable to, for fear of being separated from their loved ones. To add insult to injury, such ones are now being labelled as “mentally diseased” if they make the mistake of speaking out against the Church’s leadership.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit