Dec 15th WT: "Be like Solomon and don't go to university / don't be like Solomon and join a sports team!"

by cedars 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booby
    booby

@ magwitch - what about extracurricular masturbation - see what I did. Ha ha ha. left out the comma and made plain old musturbation double bad. LOL

• Mary
    Mary
    Will we let Solomon's course be a warning example for us? A sister might attempt to rationalize forming a romantic link that ignores God's directive to marry "only in the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:39)

Yes. Because we all know that you're far better off marrying some goofy, undisciplined, uneducated, over-bearing idiot with mental and/or emotional problems, as long as he's a fellow Dub, rather than dating someone who is normal, kind, educated, has plans and goals for the future and who will treat you with respect, because he's a 'worldly' person. Yes I'm generalizing here. This does not mean that all JW men are as I described but it seems many are. They don't give a damn if you're happy or miserable, just as long as you don't disobey mother by marrying 'outside of the truth'.

With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school, underreport taxable income, or tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing.

'No harm is practiced, however, by withholding incriminating information from one who is not entitled to know."...Watchtower Oct 1, 1954, par 21, 25

'So in time of spiritual warfare it is proper to misdirect the enemy by hiding the truth.'' Watchtower May 1, 1957 Page 285 - 286.

'We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive." Watchtower June 1, 1960, pages 351-352.

'While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it....' Insight On The Scriptures, Volume 2, 1988 pages 244-245.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

They have always talked out of both sides of their asses, we just never noticed while we were deluded.

Solomon asked for his wisdom and got it directly from Jehovah, but that's only because there was no Watchtower back then. Who needs college when you have the Wisdom Merchants in Crooklyn?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mary's references about the WT's so-called "Theocratic Warfare" strategy always reminded me of my own father's personal philosophy concerning lying and the truth:

"Dan, you can lie to anyone you want; I don't care. But if you ever lie to me I'll beat the sh*t out of you."

And this is exactly what he did until I turned 19 and was old enough and strong enough to stand up for myself. It took me a little longer to realize the WTBTS was just as abusive a bully as my own dear-old dad, the bastard.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

"tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing"

What does that even mean? Is it in reference to being questioned by elders about wrongdoing?

• cedars
    cedars

FranklinMassey - you raise a good point. I have no idea why the "untruths" thing is in there, and reading the article it isn't obvious that there are any trenchant lessons in the life of Solomon that would effect one's attitude towards honesty. I'm not sure what they're getting at...

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

What double talk the WTS speaks. The December WT points out not to get a higher education, yet the September Awake points out the value of saving money. Solomon stated that money was a protection according to the Awake. But I forgot that the Awake was for the public and the December WT was for the Jehovah's Witnesses only.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Governing Body Member: So some of the rank and file are doing some stuff and we think we should talk about it.

Writing Dept. Guy: What kind of stuff?

Governing Body Member: Oh, you know, going to college, getting married to worldly people, playing sports, lying and stuff...

Writing Dept. Guy: Hmmm. That's pretty broad.

Governing Body: Yeah but the end of the year is coming up and we need to cram it in. Oh, and it has to sound like its coming from the Bible.

Writing Dept. Guy: Cool. I'll just put something together about David.

Governing Body Member: We talk about David too much already.

Writing Dept. Guy: Ummmm...Solomon?

Governing Body Member: Whatevs.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

And even after receiving all that "wisdom" directly from Jehovah, Solomon still ended up going after the pagan gods and goddesses of his wives and concubines.

Ya think maybe he read "Jehovah Unmasked"?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I reread the OP twice..

The WBT$ Reasoning was Effin Stupid both times..

If your looking for Stupid,the WBT$ gives you your moneys worth..

....................;-)...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit