Non NWT use in Public Talks

by cantleave 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Blues, I knew a few who used to bring an alternative translation too. I am sure they will soon be called into the back room for some "encouragement"!

• Quendi
    Quendi

I agree that this directive is just one more control device the WTS has implemented on the rank and file. Years ago, I used to bring both the NWT and the Jerusalem Bible to the meetings. I can remember more than one occasion when the Witness handling a meeting part would specifically ask me to read a passage from the Jerusalem Bible. Many of the Witnesses told me how much they liked its fresh, vibrant renderings of many passages. I loved reading from it when I did my personal study as well.

The WTS has now shown how much it respects the Word of God which is to say it has none at all. Its stance reminds me of other fundamentalists who insist on using only the outdated, antiquated, and error-filled Authorized Version of the Bible. Telling people there is one and only one translation/version of the Bible to read is religious tyranny, but what else should we expect from an organization that believes its ex cathedra pronouncements are infallible?

Quendi

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

i used to use the living bible to give it some flavor

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I used the Darby translation because the NWT was sh17

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

NWT isn't available in every language JWs speak.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Weird. I remember quite a few times when the speaker would read a verse from a different translation. They always told everyone out in service that any bible would show them the truth. THEN they'd say that JW's, that spoke english, used the KJ bible before they had the NWT. They don't like when people say that JW's use their own bible---but that's exactly what they are trying to enforce. If that occasional use were okay, no letter would have been needed.

NC

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I am surprised that anyone who was a jw for awhile is not aware of the elder reporting to the CO process. How else would the CO know what needs to be "corrected" in a congregation?

*** w09 4/1 p. 30 Vatican Seeks to Eliminate Use of the Divine Name ***It should be the desire of all Christians to see God’s name sanctified. Vatican efforts to eliminate its use dishonor Jehovah, the one who said: “This is my name for all time; by this name I shall be invoked for all generations to come.”—Exodus 3:15, The Jerusalem Bible.

*** w09 6/1 p. 5 Why the Bible Is Practical for Our Day ***“All scripture is inspired by God and can profitably be used . . . for guiding people’s lives.”—2 TIMOTHY 3:16,The Jerusalem Bible.

and 8 more times in the 2009 WTs; NIV 4 times (738 times on the 2009 WT-CD)(NIV 44 times CD)(Amplified Bible 40 times)American Stand 371 times)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I remember reading from the Living Bible.

I did the same thing decades ago..

I bought it from the Kingdom Hall book room..

I was counsled..

..................;-)...OUTLAW

• dgp
    dgp

So, if they use other translations, what is the point of having their own mistranslation?

If their version is the illuminated one, the true one, et cetera, why settle for less?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Not new in the US: I remember 10 - 15 years ago when serving the direction from the WTBTS was public speakers should ONLY use the NWT. Sorry I can't cite/quote the Society's letter on that. I've been out 2 1/2 years and don't have access to the files. It could have been at one of our "elder schools" here in SoCal.

But I do remember thinking at the time how odd that was since THEY quote from other Bibles all the time in their publications. I also remember thinking that the message sent was that local elders aren't smart enough to be trusted to know when to and when not to use other Bibles.

Daniel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit